Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Freewheel remove tool slipping

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-21, 12:57 PM
alecd

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Just received a Shimano freewheel removal tool. I have the tool clamped on with the axle nut and washer (solid axle). After a small amount of (counterclockwise) pressure on the adjustable spanner the tool (or freewheel?!) slips / clicks. The axle is slightly bent and the locknut may be disturbing the freewheel tool. If I remove axle, will the drive side bearings fall out? Or I could just remove the drive side locknut. At the moment the tool slips well before a cheater bar or 'tool clamped in vice method' would be needed. There doesn't seem to be any damage to the tool.
Old 01-16-21, 01:02 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2742 Post(s)
Liked 3,389 Times in 2,052 Posts
Are yo sure it's a freewheel tool and not a lock ring tool?
Old 01-16-21, 01:56 PM
MudPie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
Are yo sure it's a freewheel tool and not a lock ring tool?
Yes, I've made the mistake of accidentally using a Shimano freewheel remover instead of a Shimano cassette lockring tool. Both are 12 splined and the diameter of the freewheel remover is 22.6mm and the lockring tool is 23.4mm. The diameter difference is about 1/32nd of an inch, and is too close for the eye to see, but the wrong tool will slip.

I forgot if I was trying to remove a freewheel with a cassette lockring tool or the remove a cassette lockring with a freewheel tool.

Last edited by MudPie; 01-16-21 at 02:00 PM.
Old 01-18-21, 07:46 AM
alecd

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
This tool is 22.2mm in diameter (including splines). It fits pretty well with a bit of play. I'll buy the Shimano FW30 or Parktool FR-1.3.
I seem to have posted a similar thread twice. Here is the other thread - with photos: https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...l#post21881000
Old 01-18-21, 05:45 PM
MudPie

Originally Posted by alecd
This tool is 22.2mm in diameter (including splines). It fits pretty well with a bit of play. I'll buy the Shimano FW30 or Parktool FR-1.3.
I seem to have posted a similar thread twice. Here is the other thread - with photos: https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...l#post21881000
Yeah, I've been following the other link and seems like you may've been the victim of poor quality tools. I assume that "bit of play" is enough to limit full engagement of the splines, which doesn't surprise me. I do have the Shimano freewheel removal tool (at least 30 years old) and the Park cassette lockring tool. Both are well made and you can't go wrong with these brands.
Old 01-19-21, 11:38 AM
MudPie

Originally Posted by alecd
I just measured my Shimano (I assume FW30) freewheel removal tool and the outside dimension across the flats of the spline is 22.5mm.