Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

New Bike For Me

Old 08-21-21, 09:06 PM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 216 Posts
New Bike For Me ...... Update ...Neck is Happy ...Bike is Heavier But Faster !!

2020 Trek Domane SLR6. Had to drive 3 hours one way to get it. The Trek store there had 2 in my size (58) as well as a 60. Wanted Viper Red and they had a 58 and a 60 in that color. Also picked up a basic computer with a trick little mount as well as the lights that mount real slick under the seat and right out front of the stem. I tried to get decent pics so go easy on me lol.

My other road bike is an older Trek 2.3 with a bunch of Ebay Dura Ace components I put on in the last year.....also a 58.

Took it on a 25 mile spin as soon as I got it home. It looks much larger parked next to the 2.3 and the handlebars are much higher. The difference in geometry is obvious side by side. The 2.3 had the same geometry as the Madone that year so pretty racy I guess. This bike seems very compliant in its ride but stiff in the BB when on the gas which was what I expected. I rode a stretch of chip and tar which is quite rough. On the 2.3 it rattles the fillings in my teeth. On the Domane it was so much smoother . I expected as much but was impressed with how much it smoothed out the ride. I have very serious neck problems that usually show up about 20 miles into a ride .... they were absent and this was after 6 hours in the car. Oh .....I was faster by quite a bit as well. Overall on the strength of one ride I was quite pleased.

Its gonna take some getting used to both the giant tires and the crazy loud freehub. Obviously this bike was not cheap but I've been saving up. Its my reward for manning up and coming back from some serious and quite honestly ....life changing injuries. Cue the pics !!

Last edited by Rdmonster69; 08-22-21 at 03:06 PM. Reason: Title Change
Old 08-21-21, 10:23 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1935 Post(s)
Liked 2,150 Times in 1,313 Posts
Very nice bike.

Congratulations!

John
Old 08-21-21, 10:45 PM
kahn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
Enjoy that fire engine red bike. Congrats.
Old 08-22-21, 12:39 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Domanes are nice!

the solution to the freehub noise is to keep pedaling
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 08-22-21, 01:36 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,414 Times in 801 Posts
Rdmonster69 , nice bike. Always good to treat ones self, can't think of a better treat than a new bike. If it is true that red bikes are the fastest, your Trek is really fast. Others having a NBD puts a smile on my face.
Old 08-22-21, 01:47 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
Yeah, you got their highest end 700 frameset and they cost more for a reason. High mod carbon frames ride so smooth. My Diamondback Podium is smoother than any steel bike I ever had, you can flex the seat stays by hand. The first time I rode it I had to pull over and make sure I didn't lose tire pressure. Most people buy the less expensive versions and they're about the same as aluminum in my experience.
Old 08-22-21, 06:21 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,874 Times in 4,638 Posts
Sweet ride!
Old 08-22-21, 02:57 PM
Fendertele

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 28 Posts
Great bike. Enjoy.
Old 08-22-21, 03:04 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Congrats! Enjoy the rides!
Old 08-22-21, 03:14 PM
Ilbiker

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Sport 2021 Trek Domane SL6

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Nice! I’ve got the 2021 SL6 in Viper Red. Looks the the same lights, mine are connected to my Garmin 530. Did you go tubeless? Enjoying the GP 5K tubeless. And yes, the hub is LOUD! My Roubaix is barely audible. Enjoy the miles!
Old 08-22-21, 03:15 PM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

I went on a much longer ride today ..... 40 miles ...... my neck while not pain free ....it never is .....was way better than on my other bike.

I also shaved about 20 minutes off my 30 mile time.....was hungry as hell and drained of energy the last 5 miles or so .....from a comfort standpoint alone it is a vast improvement.

Oddly enough the Domane is heavier than my 2.3 ... the 2.3 (without pedals but my pedals are pretty light) weighed in at 19.2 pounds using the uber scientific method of weighing myself with and without the bike. The Domane with a set of Time espresso 7 Carbon pedals was 20.8 pounds. I was a tad surprised I must say with all the carbon fiber !!

Anyway here is where I play with my toys.

Old 08-22-21, 03:19 PM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

Originally Posted by Ilbiker
Nice! I’ve got the 2021 SL6 in Viper Red. Looks the the same lights, mine are connected to my Garmin 530. Did you go tubeless? Enjoying the GP 5K tubeless. And yes, the hub is LOUD! My Roubaix is barely audible. Enjoy the miles!
I have a pretty basic computer and am not sure if it does the light thing or not. I not look into it further ..... I did not go tubeless. Not sure if I will but may at some point. The little lights and computer mount are pretty trick.
Old 08-22-21, 03:57 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7, Trek Emonda ALR, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 1,666 Times in 980 Posts
Originally Posted by Rdmonster69
2020 Trek Domane SLR6. Had to drive 3 hours one way to get it. The Trek store there had 2 in my size (58) as well as a 60. Wanted Viper Red and they had a 58 and a 60 in that color. Also picked up a basic computer with a trick little mount as well as the lights that mount real slick under the seat and right out front of the stem. I tried to get decent pics so go easy on me lol.

My other road bike is an older Trek 2.3 with a bunch of Ebay Dura Ace components I put on in the last year.....also a 58.

Took it on a 25 mile spin as soon as I got it home. It looks much larger parked next to the 2.3 and the handlebars are much higher. The difference in geometry is obvious side by side. The 2.3 had the same geometry as the Madone that year so pretty racy I guess. This bike seems very compliant in its ride but stiff in the BB when on the gas which was what I expected. I rode a stretch of chip and tar which is quite rough. On the 2.3 it rattles the fillings in my teeth. On the Domane it was so much smoother . I expected as much but was impressed with how much it smoothed out the ride. I have very serious neck problems that usually show up about 20 miles into a ride .... they were absent and this was after 6 hours in the car. Oh .....I was faster by quite a bit as well. Overall on the strength of one ride I was quite pleased.

Its gonna take some getting used to both the giant tires and the crazy loud freehub. Obviously this bike was not cheap but I've been saving up. Its my reward for manning up and coming back from some serious and quite honestly ....life changing injuries. Cue the pics !!

Congrats and welcome to the Domane SLR in Viper Red club. I have the SLR7 and I highly recommend the Pirelli P Race Zero TLR's in 28 or 30. They mount super easy and will seat with a regular pump. Got mine through LordGun in Italy and they ship express and get them in 2 to 3 days on the East Coast, and I think 3 to 4 day to the West Coast. I am in Florida and have gotten some orders in 2 days. Looks like they are currently on sale for $49, which is a great price.

Old 08-22-21, 04:25 PM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

Originally Posted by jaxgtr
Congrats and welcome to the Domane SLR in Viper Red club. I have the SLR7 and I highly recommend the Pirelli P Race Zero TLR's in 28 or 30. They mount super easy and will seat with a regular pump. Got mine through LordGun in Italy and they ship express and get them in 2 to 3 days on the East Coast, and I think 3 to 4 day to the West Coast. I am in Florida and have gotten some orders in 2 days. Looks like they are currently on sale for $49, which is a great price.
I run Pirelli Diablo Rosso on one of my Ducatis. Great tires .... a bit pricier 😆. I may look into some new tires once I get some miles on the stockers. Thanks for the heads up 😎