Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Bryton 420 route files format

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Old 09-10-21, 06:19 AM
Matheus0312

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Hey guys,

I'm trying to write a python script to convert .gpx files in the files used by the bryton 420 gps. My idea behind this project is to circumvent the official app, which is clunky to generate routes in and, a couple of times, generated bugs in my planned route if I add external .gpx files.

I found a similar project on GitHub for older bryton models, but I was not able to get all information I needed since the files seems to have been changed in the new models. I also tried to contact the bryton support but had no reply as of today.

My main obstacle currently is to understand how to decode/encode the .fit files that the bryton uses for route storage. Even though it is a .fit, the file formating is proprietary and don't follow the common Garmin .fit structure.

Have anyone tried something similar or know where I can find some information that might point me in the right direction?
Old 07-13-22, 01:29 PM
aliens

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Any luck on this? I would also be very interested in this capability. Thanks!
Old 07-13-22, 02:13 PM
Matheus0312

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Yes

I decided the files and created a python script to convert some .gpx to bryton's formats.

I can't paste links in here, but searching "Bryton Utilities" in GitHub will get you to my project.
Likes For Matheus0312:
Old 07-13-22, 02:18 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
https://github.com/matheus0312/BrytonUtilities
Old 07-13-22, 02:48 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4221 Post(s)
Liked 1,318 Times in 914 Posts
Originally Posted by Matheus0312
My main obstacle currently is to understand how to decode/encode the .fit files that the bryton uses for route storage. Even though it is a .fit, the file formating is proprietary and don't follow the common Garmin .fit structure.
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 07-14-22, 06:06 AM
Matheus0312

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
That's it, thanks
Old 07-14-22, 06:09 AM
Matheus0312

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by njkayaker
Check the file inside the Doc folder on the GitHub project, there's a .txt in which I explain the file coding, indeed is not the same as Garmin's fit.

Also, I just had to encode the .fit file, then adding this time in the GPS unit, the unit itself creates the other files
Old 07-26-22, 09:15 AM
aliens

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the python code, Matheus0312! It looks like they may have changed their protocol since you wrote it. I have a very different header and coding scheme in a .fit file I downloaded from the Bryton Active app (see attached).

Do you have any example .fit files that you can send me so I can make sure I'm not doing something stupid? If not, no worries. I appreciate the head start on the conversion
Attached Files
File Type: zip
bike191847.zip (50.0 KB, 3 views)
Old 08-09-22, 11:58 AM
Matheus0312

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Indeed the files are way different. One thing to notice is that both routes and activities are .fit files to bryton, even though they are coded differently. Also I only tested my decoding in the Bryton 420 head unit (because is the only one I have), are you using the same unit?

I can't attach files here apparently, so I added them to the github project at https://github.com/matheus0312/Bryto...ioDoRastro.zip
This zip contains a .fit file that I generated using my python script and later copied to the unit and the .gpx file that I used as input for the script, hope it helps.