Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

A Day in Orlando/Kissimmee Area Biking Ideas

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 09-17-21, 09:19 AM
dhender02

Bikes: Felt Z85 & Trek 7.3FX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts

Later next month I have a day to bum around Orlando/Kissimmee area before the family arrives. I was thinking of renting a hybrid or possibly a road bike depending upon suggestions here to see the area from a cycling POV. Not looking for anything too intense but more casual, but not too casual. Although casual-ish, definitely would like to get the legs moving and open up the lungs all the while enjoying the sights, sounds, and quirks of a ride in Orlando.....

If any of you have cycled in the area would luv to hear your recommendations on trails, routes, etc. for me to explore.

Thanks!!!!!!
Old 09-17-21, 09:57 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked 758 Times in 407 Posts
I’ve never been much of an off-road rider…pretty much strictly road. But I have lived in NE Florida in my life for various periods, and ridden the roads northeast of Orlando (I live in southern New England now). With regard to trail riding…I can tell you that most of Florida soil is sandy and might make trail riding more difficult than you expect. And I can also tell you that…as a runner on those trails frequently…I encountered lots of insects and reptiles (including alligators and poisonous snakes) that you may not encounter wherever you usually ride. I.e. running into a hug spider web (huge meaning both the web AND the spider), or happening upon a gator (they’re fast for short periods), and snakes. So…keep all that in mind if you go on the trails. On the roads…you still might encounter all that stuff…but it’s easier to see in advance and keep away from it. And if you’re looking for hills to ride…well there just aren’t any. My bro that lives in Jacksonville, FL will go for 30-50 mile rides and never have more than about 150 ft elevation. It’s pancake flat.

Dan

Last edited by _ForceD_; 09-18-21 at 09:35 AM.
Old 09-17-21, 11:05 AM
257 roberts

Bikes: 2008 Trek Police bike 2019 Jamis Coda Sport 2021 Surly Bridgeclub

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 924 Times in 304 Posts
There are a few trails in the area, West Orange, South Lake, Van Fleet to name a few.
Old 09-17-21, 05:13 PM
dhender02

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Wow!! Thanks for tips.... Not that I'm a big hill climber, but Iuv to have a few hills to mix things up a little...
Old 09-17-21, 05:15 PM
dhender02

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by 257 roberts
There are a few trails in the area, West Orange, South Lake, Van Fleet to name a few.
Thanks I was told (and goggled) West Orange trail... it appears to be nice. I'm lending toward that and maybe a route on the roads in Winter Garden....

Thanks again..
Likes For dhender02:
Old 09-18-21, 07:46 AM
RonE

Bikes: 2010 Giant Rapid - Trek 820 - 1968 Schwinn Continental

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
The West Orange trail is probably the best choice for you. There are at least two places in the Winter Garden area that rent bikes, one at KiIlarney Station and another in Winter Garden proper. If you ride west from either of those locations toward Clermont, there are a few hills and some nice scenery. Winter Garden to the end of the trail near Clermont is 15-20 miles.

If you want to ride to downtown Orlando, you can use the Urban Trail to ride between Orlando and Winter Park. The Cady Way trail, a little east of downtown, heads north and east, connecting with the Cross Seminole Trail. The Cross Seminole Trail turns west and crosses I4 to connect with the Wekiva Trail. The Cady Way Trail to the Cross Seminole Trail to the end of the Wekiva Trail is about 60 miles.

If you want to see a little more of rural Central Florida, you can pick up the Gemini Trail in Debary, which is part of the the Coast-to-Coast Trail system. You can ride just about all the way to the east coast beaches from Debary. Debary to the coast is maybe 45 miles.

Another idea to consider is that the SunRail commuter train has a few stops that are within a couple of miles of bike trails, including Lynx Central, Advent Health, Winter Park, Altamonte Springs, Longwood, Lake Mary, Sanford and Debary. Note that SunRail only runs on weekdays.

And, as has been pointed out, there are plenty of other trails in the area.
Likes For RonE:
Old 09-18-21, 08:27 PM
Gonzo Bob
cycles per second

Bikes: Early 1980's Ishiwata 022 steel sport/touring, 1986 Vitus 979, 1988 DiamondBack Apex, 1997 Softride PowerWing 700, 2001 Trek OCLV 110

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by dhender02
Wow!! Thanks for tips.... Not that I'm a big hill climber, but Iuv to have a few hills to mix things up a little...
Go about 25 miles west to Clermont. Park on the south side of Lake Minneola at Waterfront Park and ride parts of the Florida Challenge Triathlon or the Great Floridian Triathlon bike courses. Make sure to not skip Sugarloaf Mountain. https://greatfloridiantriathlon.com/
Likes For Gonzo Bob: