Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Custom "My Bike Shop" stickers?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-21, 09:09 AM
tiger1964 

Bikes: Drysdale/Gitane/Zeus/Masi/Falcon/Palo Alto/Raleigh/Legnano

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 403 Posts

Looking through (admittedly, only a small part of 609 posts) the topic Post Your Old Bike Shop Stickers, it occurs to me to wonder, that with a fair number of members having extensive collections, if anyone has made (or contracted to have made) custom "bike shop" stickers to apply to their own bikes, especially restored, repainted (or recoated) bikes where any original shop decal is long gone. In particular, I'd think "flippers" might want to advertise on the bikes they part with. Seems like a straightforward home project (though not for me!) or perhaps via some personalization seller like Etsy. Myriad options to customize, with name, a logo or pictogram of a bike, website instead of traditional phone #, whatever.

Considering my last name, Wright Cycle Shop would be tempting but that might be copyrighted.

Just a thought that had occurred to me; a cursory search didn't reveal a thread on that but, uh, what would the search criterion be anyway?

Old 09-22-21, 09:29 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts
Wright, not Wrong Cycles.

There, copyright clear.
Old 09-22-21, 09:49 AM
Hasek

Bikes: 1997 or 6 Giant Rincon, 2015 Surly LHT, 1999 Schwinn Peloton.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Hey Tiger,

In the way back machine (2009-ish) I volunteered quite a bit at a bike co-op. A project of mine was to procure decals just as you are asking about to go on the seat tube.. I don't have any of the info anymore such as pics or anything and I moved way too far away to stop in to snatch a pic.

It was pretty basic: name, logo, either url or phone #.

I do remember that l was working directly with Rick Mcginnis(?) Who is the owner. He was great to work with and fair in pricing. I highly recommend him.

https://thebumpersticker.com/
Old 09-22-21, 08:13 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,090 Times in 638 Posts
Never done it, but it's a cool idea.

One lesson learned from the time between the 1970s and now is that durability can be an issue. My Uncle had a very successful bicycle shop back in the day, and he commissioned about a decade's worth of shop decals with black ink on a shiny silver background. They weren't over the top and were pretty tasteful. I have a lightly used bicycle with one of those stickers. The adhesive was great, but over time, mostly from UV exposure, 90% of the lettering is completely gone and the rest is quite faint. Quality matters if you want a sticker that lasts.
Old 09-22-21, 08:20 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3810 Post(s)
Liked 6,692 Times in 2,611 Posts
Untitled
Likes For nlerner:
Old 09-23-21, 06:09 AM
tiger1964 

Bikes: Drysdale/Gitane/Zeus/Masi/Falcon/Palo Alto/Raleigh/Legnano

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 403 Posts
Originally Posted by Hasek
Hey Tiger,

In the way back machine (2009-ish) I volunteered quite a bit at a bike co-op. A project of mine was to procure decals just as you are asking about to go on the seat tube.. I don't have any of the info anymore such as pics or anything and I moved way too far away to stop in to snatch a pic.

It was pretty basic: name, logo, either url or phone #.

I do remember that l was working directly with Rick Mcginnis(?) Who is the owner. He was great to work with and fair in pricing. I highly recommend him.

https://thebumpersticker.com/
Well, I wasn't thinking for me personally, as my collection is quite small. That source looks like a start, but quantities start at 125 decals or stickers, and the smallest size without going "custom" is too large (is there a consensus on correct size for this?) But, yeah, that's the basic idea.