Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

The safest place to lock a bike in Manahattan

Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Old 12-02-12, 07:03 PM
aixaix 
car guy, recovering

Bikes: Olympia Competizione & Special Piuma, Frejus track circa 1958, Dahon Helios, many others

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts

This afternoon, my wife and I rode our beloved, vintage Bob Jackson tandem down the West Side Greenway to the Museum of Jewish Heritage near Battery Park. I was a little worried about leaving it outside. Turns out I had nothing to worry about.
We locked it to a bike rack out front, with two policemen looking on. On the street were at least six NYPD cars, apparently providing security to the museum. When we came out over two hours later, the same cops were standing in the same place, about ten feet from the rack. I really didn't need to lock it up at all.
Old 12-03-12, 10:23 AM
mulveyr 

Bikes: Specialized Diverge, Box Dog Pelican, 1991 Cannondale tandem

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by aixaix
This afternoon, my wife and I rode our beloved, vintage Bob Jackson tandem down the West Side Greenway to the Museum of Jewish Heritage near Battery Park. I was a little worried about leaving it outside. Turns out I had nothing to worry about.
We locked it to a bike rack out front, with two policemen looking on. On the street were at least six NYPD cars, apparently providing security to the museum. When we came out over two hours later, the same cops were standing in the same place, about ten feet from the rack. I really didn't need to lock it up at all.
Heh, amusingly enough, my son and I were on a bike tour in August that went down the Hudson greenway and passed by the Heritage museum. I wanted to go in, until I noticed the scattering of cut U-locks around the rack. Our little cable locks wouldn't have stood a chance.
Old 12-04-12, 07:02 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 456 Times in 358 Posts
I wouldn't leave a decent bike anywhere in Manhattan without somebody nearby watching it. Those cops may have been there, but you didn't know they'd still be there later. Most locks are a joke, even my NY Fuhgeddaboudit.

That said, I do see a number of bikes in front of my office building that are there almost every day, and are fairly nice at that. I'm just saying I wouldn't do it.
Old 12-04-12, 08:26 AM
cc_rider
Calamari to go

Bikes: Trek 750

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would not NOT lock a bike. The police aren't going to remember who left what two hours earlier, and a confident person who looks like they know what they are doing can get away with a lot.
Old 12-04-12, 12:03 PM
dendawg

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
The safest place to lock a bike in NYC is in your apartment, not your buildings store room, but in your own apartment
Old 12-04-12, 03:39 PM
ratdog

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dendawg
The safest place to lock a bike in NYC is in your apartment, not your buildings store room, but in your own apartment
Or around your waist.... seriously though, I wouldn't lock any bike up outside and leave it alone in NYC unless you're think you can deal with it not being there when you get back.

Last edited by ratdog; 12-05-12 at 07:10 PM.
Old 12-05-12, 02:37 AM
Warbuff

Bikes: 2013 Trek 7.2 FX Disc

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The times i leave my bike outside City College of NY I use a fugettabout it chain and two NY ulocks. And even then I still feel the need to come back and take a look. Luckily i just leave the locks there so i dont have to carry it