Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

2002 Lemond Tourmalet

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

2002 Lemond Tourmalet

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-19, 08:22 AM
trek330

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
2002 Lemond Tourmalet

I'm very excited,I just bought a Lemond Tourmalet on e-bay.I have a 1993 steel Allez with Shimano 105 but I struggle up hills with its standard double and the new bike has a triple.The new bike is Tiagara.Would 2002 Tiagra be is as good as 1993 year old 105?Or should I swap components.I have Mavic Open Pro wheels on the Allez which I'll swap.The frame is Reynolds 853.Any body have any idea what the weight will be?Thanks.
Old 05-12-19, 09:01 AM
Whit51 

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 55 Posts
The 2002 Lemond Technical Manual says the Tourmalet with triple crankset weighs 22 pounds. You’ll save some weight over the stock Matrix rims when you swap wheels, so you should be under 22 pounds. I’ve got a couple of 853 Tourmalets and they are among my favorite rides. Most of the more upscale Lemond 853s had carbon forks. I much prefer steel forks, which makes the Tourmalets highly desirable.
https://www.vintage-trek.com/Trek-Fis...nualLemond.pdf
Likes For Whit51:
Old 05-12-19, 09:19 AM
trek330

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Whit51
The 2002 Lemond Technical Manual says the Tourmalet with triple crankset weighs 22 pounds. You’ll save some weight over the stock Matrix rims when you swap wheels, so you should be under 22 pounds. I’ve got a couple of 853 Tourmalets and they are among my favorite rides. Most of the more upscale Lemond 853s had carbon forks. I much prefer steel forks, which makes the Tourmalets highly desirable.
I do too.I think this is a chromoly fork.My Allez had an aluminum fork and I kept feeling i wasn't getting the true steel ride because of it.
Old 05-12-19, 05:09 PM
Kuromori

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by Whit51
I also used to have an '02 Tourmalet, and also liked it because I don't really get the point of a steel frame with carbon forks. I think the weights are a little fudged though, like most list weights are, by excluding pedals, tubes, or just marketing deciding to remove a pound etc.

Originally Posted by trek330
I'm very excited,I just bought a Lemond Tourmalet on e-bay.I have a 1993 steel Allez with Shimano 105 but I struggle up hills with its standard double and the new bike has a triple.The new bike is Tiagara.Would 2002 Tiagra be is as good as 1993 year old 105?Or should I swap components.I have Mavic Open Pro wheels on the Allez which I'll swap.The frame is Reynolds 853.Any body have any idea what the weight will be?Thanks.
I think it's better because it's 9 speed. 9 speed Tiagra works very well and is very similar to 9 speed 105. 105 feels just slightly slicker, but not everyone likes that as it can feel vague. If you're riding a road triple for the first time, I would recommend using the middle ring most of the time, not the big ring, and use the small ring for climbing and the big ring when you run out of gears in the middle ring.
Old 05-12-19, 07:22 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,981 Times in 1,775 Posts
Originally Posted by Kuromori
I also used to have an '02 Tourmalet, and also liked it because I don't really get the point of a steel frame with carbon forks. I think the weights are a little fudged though, like most list weights are, by excluding pedals, tubes, or just marketing deciding to remove a pound etc.
It's actually easy to get these 853 Lemonds to weigh under 20 lbs. My 2003 Tourmelet has the C.F fork but is easily there in ready to ride condition.

I've got another one (think it's a 1999 frame) that 18 lbs 7 ozs with a 9 speed Dura Ace setup and some 1400 gram alloy wheels.

I know my beat up 2000 Zurich was under 20 lbs with pedals, saddle, bottle cages, etc when I put some Williams System 30 wheels on it.

So I don't know if they really fudged that much on the weights.
Old 05-12-19, 07:38 PM
Kuromori

I have no doubt you can get the weights lower than stock, but I meant the list weight with the stock equipment. The 2002 Tourmalet had a steel fork and lots of economy parts on it. All those cheap parts add up to a lot of extra weight since the frame is only a fraction of total bike weight. I never wrote down the weight though, so it's going from memory.
Old 05-12-19, 08:19 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,981 Times in 1,775 Posts
Originally Posted by Kuromori
I have no doubt you can get the weights lower than stock, but I meant the list weight with the stock equipment. The 2002 Tourmalet had a steel fork and lots of economy parts on it. All those cheap parts add up to a lot of extra weight since the frame is only a fraction of total bike weight. I never wrote down the weight though, so it's going from memory.
I hear you, that's why I mentioned the 2000 Zurich. With stock components, pedals, and a Brooks saddle it was under 20 lbs with a set of 1400 gram wheels. Catalog list at 19 lbs and you have to figure that's without pedals (as spec'd) and with a much lighter saddle. So seems like it would have been fairly close with factory specs. Of course I think pretty much everyone fudges on the weights, right?
Old 05-13-19, 12:24 AM
Kuromori

Originally Posted by jamesdak
I hear you, that's why I mentioned the 2000 Zurich. With stock components, pedals, and a Brooks saddle it was under 20 lbs with a set of 1400 gram wheels. Catalog list at 19 lbs and you have to figure that's without pedals (as spec'd) and with a much lighter saddle. So seems like it would have been fairly close with factory specs. Of course I think pretty much everyone fudges on the weights, right?
Yeah, fudging weights is definitely widespread in the industry and dare I say it, normal. I was just trying to get at don't start counting grams before you've actually weighed it since some addition and subtraction based on list weights came up.
Old 05-13-19, 11:10 PM
Insidious C. 

Bikes: One of everything and three of everything French

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 213 Posts
Originally Posted by trek330
Congrats on the Lemond! Is it dark blue with silver panels? I hope you will post up some pics at some point. I need motivation to finish building a similar bike. Have yet to ride it.
Old 05-14-19, 06:21 AM
trek330

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Insidious C.
Congrats on the Lemond! Is it dark blue with silver panels? I hope you will post up some pics at some point. I need motivation to finish building a similar bike. Have yet to ride it.
Thanks for asking!It's black with silver which makes it,according to the catalogue a 2001!I'll get those pics up in a while.
Old 05-14-19, 06:24 AM
trek330

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Yeah I found that manual.Seems my bike according to the color scheme is a 2001!