Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Your Catch of the Day / Saved from the Dump!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Your Catch of the Day / Saved from the Dump!

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-22, 11:00 AM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 1,392 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by JacobLee
I've never been in there. So, did it go to a good home?
She's pretty active on Classic Rendezvous. Don't know her personally, but haven't heard anyone gripe.
Old 09-03-22, 11:07 AM
JacobLee 
Total Scrounge

Bikes: 71 International 72 Super Course 83 Gap

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 924 Times in 310 Posts
Originally Posted by smontanaro
She's pretty active on Classic Rendezvous. Don't know her personally, but haven't heard anyone gripe.
Cool. I guess that was a potentially tacky question.

I wonder where they advertised the Merz? Did this show up on your radar merziac ?
Old 09-03-22, 11:31 AM
velomateo

Bikes: '87 Serotta Colorado,'96 Moots VaMoots, Bertoni MAX, Eddy Merckx Grand Prix Team USA

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 147 Posts
That Merz is a treasure, great colors, and the buyer got it at a very good price.

Some day I hope to find one in my size.
Likes For velomateo:
Old 09-03-22, 02:22 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4511 Post(s)
Liked 6,378 Times in 3,667 Posts
I was lured across town to an estate sale by a pic of a bike closet, complete with jumbly boxes of bike stuff. It turned out to be pretty interesting. Most stuff had been individually priced too high for me, but I picked up the box of random stuff and offered $20. The lady running the sale cracked up, saying "See, I told you somebody would buy that stuff!" to her helpers.

She turned out to be really cool. Apparently, the gentleman who passed away had been a longtime cyclist. His name was Michael O'hara, and I think he might have been BMW mechanic. You could tell he'd grown old on a bike, judging by the mountain bike and recumbent trike that were also for sale.

"He also had a Merz that was beautiful; paperwork from Jim Merz and everything," she continued. She said they had sold it for $1,500 to a woman who runs a bike shop in Portland, so it went to a good home. I think they had already sold it before the estate sale. Too rich for my blood, anyhow. I asked her to email photos of it, and she kindly did so:

Gotta have a shot of that fancy stem!

So, I have his box of cogs and junk, lots of useful bits, a couple of Pro Compe freewheel bodies, a couple of chains. It was fun to dig through, and now it's time to build a custom freewheel!
I've never been in there. So, did it go to a good home?
Cool. I guess that was a potentially tacky question.

I wonder where they advertised the Merz? Did this show up on your radar merziac ?
Originally Posted by velomateo
That Merz is a treasure, great colors, and the buyer got it at a very good price.

Some day I hope to find one in my size.
You will need luck on your side, being here in PDX doesn't seem to even help that much. I'll keep an eye out if you want and tell me your size, PM if you like.

I did not see this before, too small for me.

Justyne is a good head, BR is really online only, she will see you for a specific sale, no actual store or showroom. I have bought a few things from her.

That price was fair IMO, she has a serious inside track on this stuff, especially here in PDX, and elsewhere. She bought a bunch of stuff from Roland Della Santa's estate and had one of Jim's personal frames a few months ago, I went and looked at it but it was out of my comfort zone at the time already having the ones I have.

Here's the build sheet and notes.

Likes For merziac:
Old 09-03-22, 06:45 PM
JacobLee 
Total Scrounge

Originally Posted by merziac
You will need luck on your side, being here in PDX doesn't seem to even help that much. I'll keep an eye out if you want and tell me your size, PM if you like.

Justyne is a good head, BR is really online only, she will see you for a specific sale, no actual store or showroom. I have bought a few things from her.

That price was fair IMO, she has a serious inside track on this stuff, especially here in PDX, and elsewhere. She bought a bunch of stuff from Roland Della Santa's estate and had one of Jim's personal frames a few months ago, I went and looked at it but it was out of my comfort zone at the time already having the ones I have.

Maybe I'm out of the loop, but how do you have the build sheet for that bike?
Old 09-03-22, 06:47 PM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 1,392 Times in 760 Posts
Just a guess, but I think Jim posts his build sheets on FB when over of his frames is outed.
Old 09-03-22, 07:36 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Maybe I'm out of the loop, but how do you have the build sheet for that bike?
You don't get to be merziac without good reason.
Likes For merziac:
Old 09-04-22, 08:58 AM
velomateo

Bikes: '87 Serotta Colorado,'96 Moots VaMoots, Bertoni MAX, Eddy Merckx Grand Prix Team USA

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 147 Posts

Thanks, I'm going to keep an eye on the BR website. The one from the sale is in my size range, 54.5-56, so I'm curious if they list it on their site.
Old 09-04-22, 09:57 AM
JacobLee 
Total Scrounge

I give up. Can anyone identify this bottle cage?

Thanks!

Old 09-04-22, 11:02 AM
lasauge 
Pedalin' Erry Day

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked 367 Times in 198 Posts
I give up. Can anyone identify this bottle cage?
The logo on it is from Artisan Tool and Die, better known for their wrenches and other tools. Looks like a fairly typical cage for the 1970's, but missing a plastic topper that should cover the exposed prongs and grip the upper end of a water bottle.
Likes For lasauge:
Old 09-04-22, 04:41 PM
JacobLee 
Total Scrounge

Originally Posted by lasauge
The logo on it is from Artisan Tool and Die, better known for their wrenches and other tools. Looks like a fairly typical cage for the 1970's, but missing a plastic topper that should cover the exposed prongs and grip the upper end of a water bottle.
Thanks! It was fun to try to figure out the logo, but I wouldn't have gotten there in a million years.
Old 09-04-22, 04:49 PM
JacobLee 
Total Scrounge

Well, on a roll this weekend; good or bad? hard to say. It was half-off Sunday at an estate sale, so I couldn't leave this Centurion behind for $102.50.

It's a bit of a mish-mash, but an interesting one, at least. Hard to say if it's a lovingly upgraded rider, or a weirdo flipper build. Campy crank, Cinelli bar and stem, Miche front hub, Ofmega rear (I think), Cannondale headset. What gives? I hope the Accushift bar cons are worth using, because those look pretty cool.

Old 09-04-22, 05:03 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2363 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 1,191 Posts
^^^^^^^ Or, maybe, a "Johnny Cash's car" build by a bike shop employee, getting what s/he can when it's deeply discounted or pulled from the retail shelf for space.

That Merz, as depicted, is a tribute to what some fellas will do in order to stay on their favorite bikes as they age. I usually at such "geezer-fications", but hearing the story of the recently departed owner, it's kinda sweet.
Old 09-04-22, 05:27 PM
merziac

Originally Posted by madpogue
^^^^^^^ Or, maybe, a "Johnny Cash's car" build by a bike shop employee, getting what s/he can when it's deeply discounted or pulled from the retail shelf for space.

That Merz, as depicted, is a tribute to what some fellas will do in order to stay on their favorite bikes as they age. I usually at such "geezer-fications", but hearing the story of the recently departed owner, it's kinda sweet.
Well I'm only almost 64 in geezer years, but I've been there all my life and even more so since I dove back in about 10 years ago. Never raced or rode that hard really but have always been able to ride all day so long as I have my setup right.

I've gotten plenty of but I get a chuckle, my bikes, my setup, it takes what it takes.

Likes For merziac:
Old 09-04-22, 08:26 PM
merziac

Originally Posted by velomateo
Thanks, I'm going to keep an eye on the BR website. The one from the sale is in my size range, 54.5-56, so I'm curious if they list it on their site.
I didn't see it there.

She would probably would have done so if not for the estate sale, they often have arrangements, although the last one ended up on CL for $200 less than it was offered to me and I missed it by a few minutes.

The last two have come through her but by the time they are outed they are all but gone.

If you really want one, you will have to be ready to jump without hesitation if you are reasonably confident of the size, you may not have time to double check.

That being said, if you do get it too wrong, you would likely have no trouble moving it on.

I was very lucky but still had to buy 5 of them before I got one that really fit me, I think it could be much harder now as many have gone to new owners like me that have wanted one for a long time.
Likes For merziac:
Old 09-06-22, 10:01 PM
fvernon

Bikes: BMC Road V2; '17 Marin Pine Mountain 2; '91 Marinoni Special TSX; '89 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp; '98 Salsa La Cruz; '79 Centurion Pro Tour; '77 Romic custom sport-tour; '77 Centurion Semi-Pro; '23 Kona Sutra LTD

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 79 Posts
Two bikes (pics in as-found condition) followed me home today--the first was this '86 Trek 760 and it's all about the frameset:

built during a run of Trek 760s in 1984, if I'm reading the SN correctly. It's 22" (56cm), so a touch too small for me, but I couldn't say no for $40.

The other one is a bit of an oddball that I think I'm going to have fun with:

This 59cm/23.5" Romic is from 1977, and has front & rear Campagnolo dropouts with eyelets and what seems to be the outline for where a Reynolds 531 sticker used to live on the seat tube. It takes a 27.2 seatpost, which is a bit surprising given the age (I would have assumed a 26.8 for late 70s?), and even with the Nervex-style lugs I'm guessing it's an X-100 custom touring frameset or some other custom build. The dropouts, seatpost size, and build gave the impression of one of the nicer Romic offerings. I'm hoping there's a Reynolds, Tange, or Columbus mark on the steerer tube to help clarify what's going on here.

There's a lot of Campagnolo Record, Zeus, 1st generation Dura-Ace on it, as well as 1977 (I think, given the code on the back) Sugino Mighty Tour Triple crankset with Campy dust caps. Sort of an oddball build, but largely era-appropriate and much seems original with perhaps touring in mind. Sometime, probably in the 1980s, the original Record hubs were re-laced to 700c Mavic MA40 rims (and they're still in very good condition and sporting Lickton's stickers, so maybe this bike lived in Illinois for a bit?). Not sure if the previous owner purposefully mis-threaded the rear derailleur; they bought it for a commuter, didn't like the downtube shifters, and passed it on to me.

There's a lot of beausage, but I can't help but wonder if some tasteful updates (like water bottle mounts, top tube cable guides, mid-fork rack mounts, and maybe brake braze-ons at 650b level) plus a fresh coat of paint could turn this into quite the randonneur/light adventure-tourer. First I need to get it cleaned up and out riding to see how I get along with it.
Likes For fvernon:
Old 09-06-22, 10:42 PM
Hi_c

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by fvernon
Two bikes (pics in as-found condition) followed me home today--the first was this '86 Trek 760 and it's all about the frameset:

built during a run of Trek 760s in 1984, if I'm reading the SN correctly. It's 22" (56cm), so a touch too small for me, but I couldn't say no for $40.

The other one is a bit of an oddball that I think I'm going to have fun with:

This 59cm/23.5" Romic is from 1977, and has front & rear Campagnolo dropouts with eyelets and what seems to be the outline for where a Reynolds 531 sticker used to live on the seat tube. It takes a 27.2 seatpost, which is a bit surprising given the age (I would have assumed a 26.8 for late 70s?), and even with the Nervex-style lugs I'm guessing it's an X-100 custom touring frameset or some other custom build. The dropouts, seatpost size, and build gave the impression of one of the nicer Romic offerings. I'm hoping there's a Reynolds, Tange, or Columbus mark on the steerer tube to help clarify what's going on here.

There's a lot of Campagnolo Record, Zeus, 1st generation Dura-Ace on it, as well as 1977 (I think, given the code on the back) Sugino Mighty Tour Triple crankset with Campy dust caps. Sort of an oddball build, but largely era-appropriate and much seems original with perhaps touring in mind. Sometime, probably in the 1980s, the original Record hubs were re-laced to 700c Mavic MA40 rims (and they're still in very good condition and sporting Lickton's stickers, so maybe this bike lived in Illinois for a bit?). Not sure if the previous owner purposefully mis-threaded the rear derailleur; they bought it for a commuter, didn't like the downtube shifters, and passed it on to me.

There's a lot of beausage, but I can't help but wonder if some tasteful updates (like water bottle mounts, top tube cable guides, mid-fork rack mounts, and maybe brake braze-ons at 650b level) plus a fresh coat of paint could turn this into quite the randonneur/light adventure-tourer. First I need to get it cleaned up and out riding to see how I get along with it.
an amazing deal even if just for the parts without the two very cool vintage frames! Love me a vintage Reynolds Trek, some of the best frames ever made imo.
Likes For Hi_c:
Old 09-07-22, 02:53 PM
fvernon

Bikes: BMC Road V2; '17 Marin Pine Mountain 2; '91 Marinoni Special TSX; '89 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp; '98 Salsa La Cruz; '79 Centurion Pro Tour; '77 Romic custom sport-tour; '77 Centurion Semi-Pro; '23 Kona Sutra LTD

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Hi_c
Love me a vintage Reynolds Trek, some of the best frames ever made imo.
For sure--between this and a pristine 1980 Trek 614 I brought home from a thrift store a couple months ago, I've got some decisions to make
Likes For fvernon:
Old 09-09-22, 12:53 AM
merziac

COTD $45

Likes For merziac:
Old 09-09-22, 07:08 AM
Dylansbob 
2k miles from the midwest

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 446 Posts
COTD $45

Wow. Where'd you find those? Rare and Shiny.
Likes For Dylansbob:
Old 09-11-22, 11:04 PM
SilverSteve

Bikes: 2003 Iron Horse comfort bike (daily rider); 1981(?) Raleigh Super Grand Prix 25.5", 1983 Raleigh Super Course, 25.5", Austro-Daimler Inter 10, 1988 Trek 560 25.5"; 1986 Peugeot Mont Cenis 64cm.; more to come

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
More garage and cellar finds..

Recently snapped up a mid-1980s Bianchi Sport SX road bike for reasonable cost. Fellow who owns an auto body shop just off Davis Square, Somerville showed me a complete bike minus wheels and chain from house next door whose owner passed away; vacating home turned up the forgotten Bianchi in the cellar, said he. Decent condition and looks all original; paint has very few small chips but steel parts show surface rust from cellar.
Anyone out there know the brand of wheels it wore new from bike shop? Trying to gather lists of nomenclature for it but an uphill trek. Perhaps it wore black color anodized rims? They were so popular then.
Thoughts, advice or witticisms welcome by all. Great site this.. Ride On..
Stephen

Representative image
Old 09-13-22, 07:13 AM
rwh63

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 35 Posts
Dump pick: trash or treasure or other? Don’t know what it is. Been someone’s paint project. Not sure if the decals are authentic to the bike. Has Alex Rims.

Old 09-13-22, 02:01 PM
Dylansbob 
2k miles from the midwest

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 446 Posts
The OS BMX stuff doesn't get a lot of play on this site, but to those in the know will recognize this. Even in this state, it will find a buyer at a hefty profit.

Likes For Dylansbob:
Old 09-13-22, 03:42 PM
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1420 - 1978 Raleigh Professional - 1973 Schwinn Collegiate - 1974 Schwinn Suburban

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by Dylansbob
The OS BMX stuff doesn't get a lot of play on this site, but to those in the know will recognize this. Even in this state, it will find a buyer at a hefty profit.

Mongoose? Cool
"(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)
Old 09-13-22, 03:58 PM
Rotten

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn Circuit, 1986 Schwinn Passage, 1987 Shogun Katana, 2018 Giant Anyroad Advanced, 2013 Karate Monkey

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 93 Posts
Had to go out of town for dentist appointment today. I always check the sale sites before I go and saw this Panasonic DX-3000 that had been posted two weeks earlier. Seller said it was still available so i went to look.
All original except for seat, tires, pedals and bar tape. No dents and only a few spots that will need touch up paint, seat post and stem not stuck and I couldn't find any rust. Wheels will only need minor truing. Seller took my offer so it came home with me. not sure what I'm going to do with it yet but as hard as it is to find decent bikes in my area in my size I couldn't pass it up.

Last edited by Rotten; 09-13-22 at 04:02 PM.
Likes For Rotten:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.