Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Bike lighting

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Bike lighting

Old 10-31-22, 07:34 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by Oldairhead
Only if you want to see where you are going, and to be seen!
There is something to be said about that "want to be seen" aspect. If riding where there is any sort of traffic... I generally want to be seen.

But in the residential area where I used to live, there was very little if any traffic deep in that residential corridor. I used to quite enjoy going out without lights, on moon lite nights... even heading to the local theater to see movies. The theater was about 2 miles away, and I could go through the residential neighborhood to get to the commercial street it was on and approach from a side street. In the dark, car headlights approaching from any direction were quite visible. I could see them long before they would even look for me.

I quite enjoyed those little cruises in the dark.

I would not do that where there was any appreciable traffic.
Old 11-01-22, 02:42 AM
BikeLite

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 93 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
There is something to be said about that "want to be seen" aspect. If riding where there is any sort of traffic... I generally want to be seen.

But in the residential area where I used to live, there was very little if any traffic deep in that residential corridor. I used to quite enjoy going out without lights, on moon lite nights... even heading to the local theater to see movies. The theater was about 2 miles away, and I could go through the residential neighborhood to get to the commercial street it was on and approach from a side street. In the dark, car headlights approaching from any direction were quite visible. I could see them long before they would even look for me.

I quite enjoyed those little cruises in the dark.

I would not do that where there was any appreciable traffic.
All it takes is that one drunk guy to run you over, appreciable traffic or not.
Old 11-01-22, 07:13 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeLite
All it takes is that one drunk guy to run you over, appreciable traffic or not.
That one drunk guy has to have his lights off, super quiet engine and no tire noise to be able to run me over in the situation I described.

Quiet residential neighborhoods where the only traffic basically is folks that came home an hour ago... you can hear cats walk about. You can hear engines cooling off... and you can smell dinner cooking.
Old 11-01-22, 11:14 PM
StarBiker

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 123 Posts
Problem I have is the cost. Decent bike lights are pricey. And yes, I have been on a trail often in the dark, and although I can see, I would rather have a light.
Old 11-05-22, 07:46 PM
greatscott

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Club, Suntour ARX; 2013 Lynskey Peloton, mostly 105 with Ultegra rear derailleur, Enve 2.0 fork; 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c, full Deore with TRP dual piston mech disk brakes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 71 Posts
I'm a troll, can a trolling toad like me collect a toll?

Anyway, yes, you should be using a light at night, lights today are very affordable and you can get really decent lights. If you don't want to spend a ton of money but want a quality light then I would recommend the Lezyne Hecto Drive 500XL, they put out 500 lumens max, but will cost less than $50, but running it at full power will only get you about an hour of light before the battery dies. There is also another fantastic front light called the Ravemen PR800, meaning of course 800 lumens max, this light uses an automotive style cut off beam instead of a round light which wastes a lot of light by lighting up trees; this light has a flood beam and a spot beam, or combined the two together, and the good news is, this light is less than $70 on Amazon; or if you want even more light, you can get the Ravemen PR1200 with the same light pattern and beam setup for under $90 on Amazon.

And yes, you should be using at least one tail light, but more the merrier. Personally I would stay away from cob LED lights, these are great in the dark, but if you use them during the day the sun washes them completely out. I think the best one for the money is the Nite Rider Omega 330, yes it puts out 330 lumens, and has great side visibility for just $55.

There are other lights on the market, and some are just as good as the ones I mentioned, others will chime in with their favorites and they'll be good lights too; and there are more expensive lights that will be better than the ones I mentioned, but I didn't think you wanted to spend a lot of money, so I gave you what I thought were great lights for the money.

The lights that I use at night is a 16 year old Philips Saferide 80, this was the first cutoff beam headlight for bikes made, it puts out the equal of 1290 lumens onto the road with only 270 lumens used, which is why it can run for 4 hours on high with 4 AA rechargeable batteries, that light is still among the brightest, if not the brightest on the pavement and without blinding oncoming riders or motorists; that is my main light. I also use a Cygolite MityCross 400 DSP which goes on my helmet. During the day I just use a Lezyne Macro 400XL on strobe mode. For the rear I have a Nite Rider Omega 300 (an older version of the 330) connected to the seat bag, combined with a Bontrager Flare RT connected to the seat down tube, and a Nite Rider Sentry Aero 260 on the helmet. Not to mention a reflective safety vest, and ankle straps, plus reflective stuff built into garments and shoes these days. I like to ride at night, but I live in a rather large city, so I have to make sure motorists can see me well and see me quickly. If all I did was ride a dedicated bike path at night I wouldn't have to use all those lights, but I ride with motor vehicle traffic.

Last edited by greatscott; 11-05-22 at 08:12 PM.