Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Pepita rear triangle

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Pepita rear triangle

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-22, 01:28 PM
grant40

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 346 Times in 204 Posts
Pepita rear triangle

I got a 1959 Crescent Pepita frameset for free and the rear triangle is bent an inch to the right on both dropouts when I used the frame checker. Can the bike be bent back?

The frameset looks exactly like this one.

Old 11-11-22, 01:49 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
Yes, where are you located? This would be an easy job for an experienced frame builder. Once you give your rough location, I'm sure others will chime in with who would be close to you for the repair. Steel frames like that are pretty forgiving.
Old 11-11-22, 01:50 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5766 Post(s)
Liked 2,538 Times in 1,404 Posts
The first rule of mechanical work is "Don't fix what ain't broke".

So before doing any "straightening", take the bike on a test ride and see if it handles right and can steer "no hands" without compensating.

If not, then you can cold set (bend) it back into alignment.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 11-11-22, 01:51 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

The first rule of mechanical work is "Don't fix what ain't broke".

So before doing any "straightening", take the bike on a test ride and see if it handles right and can steer "no hands" without compensating.

If not, then you can cold set (bend) it back into alignment.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 11-11-22, 04:12 PM
grant40

I brought it home. I would like to build it up as a fixed gear. I will take the frame in on Monday to see if it is repairable.
Old 11-11-22, 05:32 PM
FBinNY 

Repairable isn't the issue. It certainly is.

However, the real question is whether it's worth spending much on.

It's a fairly low end frame as evidenced by the BB construction, and welded on kickstand mounting plate.

Also, the frame has an uncommon bottom bracket and crankset, so check the condition and availability of replacement parts, should your need them.

Last edited by FBinNY; 11-11-22 at 05:35 PM.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 11-11-22, 06:19 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4333 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
Also when asking a question that requires the frame post pictures of the frame first. Not of some other bike, that bike doesn't matter even if it is the same model if nobody sees the problem the picture is just to show what a bike looks like and this being a bike forum, most of us have figured that out. There might be a couple call girls from Dubai who don't but hey they didn't respond to me anyway so forget them.

as FBinNY said I wouldn't put much time or effort into that bike. If you are just going to build it to put in the jackass thread or pedal room with goofy stuff than just leave it alone and waste the time building it to show something in the goofy mediocrity otherwise let it go back to where it came from and just take the wasted gas and time as a loss and move on. Loads of more reasonable frames to work with that are of better quality and components that probably aren't damaged in the frame.
Old 11-11-22, 08:22 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by grant40
I got a 1959 Crescent Pepita frameset for free and the rear triangle is bent an inch to the right on both dropouts when I used the frame checker. Can the bike be bent back?

The frameset looks exactly like this one.

Does it have the same parts as the one in the picture too? If so, it'a great old bike, well worth preserving as is. Those old Crescents have a big following and are fun to Ride, i hear! If not, it will make a cool single speeder... as stated by the others, it should be straightenable... Another factor is... Any Rust showing? how bad is it?
Likes For maddog34:
Old 11-11-22, 09:57 PM
grant40

I am sorry for the confusion. Here are some pics I took.

Old 11-11-22, 09:58 PM
grant40

Originally Posted by maddog34
Does it have the same parts as the one in the picture too? If so, it'a great old bike, well worth preserving as is. Those old Crescents have a big following and are fun to Ride, i hear! If not, it will make a cool single speeder... as stated by the others, it should be straightenable... Another factor is... Any Rust showing? how bad is it?
There is very minimal rust. The frame is bent about an inch to the right on both dropouts.
Old 11-11-22, 10:31 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by grant40
There is very minimal rust. The frame is bent about an inch to the right on both dropouts.
Get it cleaned up, trued up, and Build your Bike! The paint is even in great shape, considering it's as old as i am!!!
and most importantly, Have fun. :-D
Old 11-12-22, 12:09 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2493 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
It's as old as I am as well. It does have a lot of rust showing, and in the worst place too. Right where the chainstays fit into the BB. A BB which it has already been mentioned will not accept modern bearings. What must the condition of the bearings be?? Rust we can't see??? An inch (25.4mm) of bend in both dropouts? It was in a wreck? I don't know. I really don't know. Well, actually I do. I wouldn't, that's for certain. It's not like this is some amazing example of the framebuilders art. A LOT of work is going to be needed to make a working bicycle out of this. Even as a fixie. I've given away complete bikes, much newer, in better shape and ready to ride.
Old 11-12-22, 12:34 PM
grant40

Originally Posted by Leisesturm
It's as old as I am as well. It does have a lot of rust showing, and in the worst place too. Right where the chainstays fit into the BB. A BB which it has already been mentioned will not accept modern bearings. What must the condition of the bearings be?? Rust we can't see??? An inch (25.4mm) of bend in both dropouts? It was in a wreck? I don't know. I really don't know. Well, actually I do. I wouldn't, that's for certain. It's not like this is some amazing example of the framebuilders art. A LOT of work is going to be needed to make a working bicycle out of this. Even as a fixie. I've given away complete bikes, much newer, in better shape and ready to ride.
That is not rust, it is dirt. I will take the BB apart today and show it here.
Old 11-12-22, 02:55 PM
TiHabanero

Quoted: 1741 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
I have straightened a number of frames with great success. The latest one the head tube had a twist that I was able to move the head tube enough to get the bike to track straight. If you are in my area I will happily help you out free of charge.