Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Winter Touring

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Winter Touring

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-22, 07:40 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Originally Posted by Frenzen
I have not toured during normal temperatures but debating/considering doing a tour in the next few weeks. I am unsure how safe it would be to bike from Montreal to Bangor. I do have a touring bike and studded tires. However, I am unsure if stealth camping is an option with a bivy and quilt which neither do I own at the moment but hotel/motel might be a wiser/cheaper choice. I would be passing through Sherbrooke and Coburn Gore entry point. Any suggestions or recommendations will be taken seriously, my only concern is how remote the areas would be lack of water and the cold will not help.
Rt 27? In Winter? With a Bivvy? And quilt? You don't own them? You need a 4 season tent, a winter rated air mattress, and at least a 0F bag. Now, the weather forecast isn't bad for the next 10 days. I have a 15F quilt but I used up my luck a long time ago but seriously.....

Is this a joke?

Yes, it is kind of remote and never having toured and not even having a bivvy and thinking a quilt is sufficient? Don't do it. You are asking for trouble. Start touring in late Spring
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 12-08-22, 08:19 AM
Chuck Naill

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 120 Posts
Originally Posted by Pratt
I would say the exact opposite, for the same reason. Experiment a lot, with a safety net! until you know you are competent to pull it off. The short days, slower travel, heavier load, and more involved camp set up may necessitate drastically revised route planning. A lot of (all?) camp grounds will be closed, as well as a lot of motels. Given that temperature goes down as altitude goes up, I might plan a ride in river valleys to stay lower, and flatter. In your situation, I would start slowly and with a lot of provision for bailing out. Perhaps car camping in a Provincial park and day trips on the bike from the campsite just as a sort of proof of concept.
All that being said, it sounds like it could be a neat adventure.
I am more concerned about hypothermia which can occur even with the best equipment. This condition can develop over time with confusion and the sufferer thinking they are burning up, discarding needed equipment. I have a friend who was a park ranger who was sent into the backcountry when a hiker got lost. He wrote a book, Lost!: A Ranger's Journal of Search and Rescue by Dwight McCarter (goodreads.com)
Old 12-08-22, 11:15 AM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 227 Posts
If You live in Montreal and have lived there for a while then your body is probably acclimated to extreme cold weather patterns and going to Sherbrooke or Maine will be going south :-) so you may do fine. At any rate though, I would not go without a winter sleeping bag. This quilt mickey mouse thing works fine in the summer and in hammocking (with a proper winter underquilt) but it just makes for miserable night in real winter temperatures.
Old 12-13-22, 06:09 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
Sometimes a 4-season tent is the way to go. There are ways to ventilate them that reduces the amount of condensation. Even a 3-season tent is better than a bivy sack.

Last edited by Doug64; 12-13-22 at 06:15 PM.
Old 12-13-22, 06:55 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3453 Post(s)
Liked 1,453 Times in 1,132 Posts
I have done snowshoe and cross country ski trips with a Whelen tarp setup. But I would not recommend it for your first time out winter camping.
Old 12-15-22, 10:42 AM
imi
aka Timi

Bikes: Bianchi Lupo (touring) Bianchi Volpe (commuter), Miyata On Off Road Runner

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 99 Posts
Sometimes it‘s the little things. Below 20F fixing a flat can be really difficult if your hands get frozen.
Likes For imi:
Old 12-16-22, 12:06 PM
hfbill

Bikes: Trek 520, Haro Flightline 29er MTB

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
I would suggest trying some shorter trips to test your equipment, as well as your tolerance for the cold etc. Start with a day trip, then an overnight round trip a little farther, and so on.
Old 12-17-22, 12:28 AM
HelpSingularity 

Bikes: 1974 Masi GC, 1982 Trek 728 (aka 720), 1992 Trek Multitrack 750

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 219 Times in 139 Posts
One of my least favorite things in the world when it's butt-a$$ cold out (by a mile) is crawling out of my oh so cozy sleeping bag to take a midnight pi$$.
Old 12-17-22, 06:22 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18398 Post(s)
Liked 15,494 Times in 7,317 Posts
Originally Posted by HelpSingularity
One of my least favorite things in the world when it's butt-a$$ cold out (by a mile) is crawling out of my oh so cozy sleeping bag to take a midnight pi$$.
Hence “thunder jug.”
Old 12-17-22, 12:06 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Hence “thunder jug.”
No way, dude. A mishap would be disastrous. 😱

Besides, it would have to be huge. When ya gotta go and it's cold out, ya usually REALLY gotta go. 😋😁😉
Likes For stardognine:
Old 12-20-22, 02:23 PM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
Another thing that I always put in the negative column about winter riding is the disappearance of the shoulders under snow and ice. Not just to ride on, but to bail out onto in case a car gets just too close.
Old 12-24-22, 07:45 AM
balto charlie

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 99 Posts
Seriously!! Must be a joke.

Temps: Sherbrooke and Bangor = -9C/15F today.
Likes For balto charlie:
Old 12-25-22, 11:55 AM
StarBiker

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 123 Posts
I can deal with the cold, but this is beyond cold. At least latter this week will be nice. Low 40's by Wednesday.

I never bike in ice, and snow.

Last year I did 48 Miles on the NCR on Christmas Day.
Old 04-30-23, 03:09 PM
Frenzen

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Unfortunately, I was not able to do this tour in winter but I plan on doing Montreal to Bangor this summer, and hopefully, it will prepare me if I ever do it in winter as well although I know the conditions and circumstances are not the same but will give me ideas
Old 04-30-23, 03:41 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,049 Times in 1,171 Posts
Originally Posted by Frenzen
Unfortunately, I was not able to do this tour in winter but I plan on doing Montreal to Bangor this summer, and hopefully, it will prepare me if I ever do it in winter as well although I know the conditions and circumstances are not the same but will give me ideas
Montreal - Bangor in winter can be sketchy in a car.
Old 04-30-23, 07:39 PM
Frenzen

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
Montreal - Bangor in winter can be sketchy in a car.
Oh for sure, especially if the car does not have winter tires lol.
Old 05-01-23, 03:13 PM
Xavier65

Bikes: Saracen Conquest. Claud Butler Majestic. Viking VK500. Crossmaxx 28" Pinion.

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
A short experimental trip first is a very good idea.
A recent near 0C trip helped me discover:
1) how metal pedals suck the heat from the soles of your shoes (causing cold feet),
2) how ski gloves are far more appropriate than waterproof winter cycling gloves (that get damp with sweat, and get very cold if removed for a few minutes),
3) that well indexed gears become poorly indexed (that no amount of adjustment can fix)

NB I did once visit Montreal when it was a balmy -25C (as a pedestrian).