Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

California new laws for 2023

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Old 12-31-22, 03:28 PM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 502 Times in 319 Posts

The ca.gov site includes this ( https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/news-a...-laws-in-2023/ )

"Enhanced Safeguards for Bicycle Riders (AB 1909, Friedman)

Drivers are now required to change into another available lane, when possible, to pass cyclists, building on the current requirement for drivers to give cyclists at least three feet of space when passing. The law also permits Class 3 e-bike riders to use approved bicycle paths and trails, bikeways, and bicycle lanes. In addition, starting on January 1, 2024, the law allows cyclists to cross an intersection when a walk sign is on."

Not good news on the bike path regulations. Class 3 ebikes include those capable of 28 MPH. I think our state is going backwards on this. Individual paths can have different regulations, like our local East Bay Regional Parks which has a speed limit of 15mph. There are many ebikes that already exceed that limit. I predict many more in the future.
Old 12-31-22, 03:59 PM
JW Fas
Cop Magnet

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Bikerider
Not good news on the bike path regulations. Class 3 ebikes include those capable of 28 MPH. I think our state is going backwards on this. Individual paths can have different regulations, like our local East Bay Regional Parks which has a speed limit of 15mph. There are many ebikes that already exceed that limit. I predict many more in the future.
Knowing California, they'll "fix" the problem by instituting a state speed limit on bike trails and requiring all manufacturers to install speedometers on e-bikes.
Old 12-31-22, 04:36 PM
retswerb
Along for the ride

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 106 Posts
Speedometers on e-bikes is a great idea. People have no idea how fast they're going, no reference points to judge by.
Likes For retswerb:
Old 01-02-23, 03:21 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5756 Post(s)
Liked 2,524 Times in 1,395 Posts
IMO the e-bike classes were poorly thought out from the getgo.

The e-bike category should be limited to pedal assist types, currently Class I, and all throttle units classed as light motorcycles, since that what they are.

I have no objections to motor assist as long as it remains essentially a human powered vehicle with the level of assistance inadequate to bring it beyond typical bicycle performance.

Throttle machines can then be regulated separately based on weight and max speed.

As the above implies, I agree that allowing Class III e-(motor)bikes on bicycle paths is not very sane.

As for the rest, I continue to believe that enacting pro bike rules without publicizing them aggressively only helps litigants and does nothing to help make bicycling safer.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.