Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Getting back into shape after COVID

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Getting back into shape after COVID

Old 08-23-22, 03:38 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
There is the mistaken belief that one can recover from a Covid viral infection despite all evidence to the contrary. There is permanent damage to the body. It if more like children getting scarlet fever which can resulted in damaged to the heart. A friend's father who was very fit and did not drink or smoke, at age 32 had a heart attack and died in the lobby of a bank where he was planning to get traveler's checks for the family vacation.

My wife and I have avoided air travel completely. I cannot see sufficient reason to risk permanent damage to my body, and my lungs and brain in particular. If I became infected I would most likely avoid spending time in a hospital and acquiring some new additional infection, but the damage to my body would be something I would have to live with for the rest of my life.

I want to do everything possible to live as long a healthy life as possible and avoid high risk behavior that will jeopardize that objective. Fortunately my wife shares my desire.
Old 08-23-22, 03:54 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked 1,974 Times in 565 Posts
Originally Posted by Calsun
There is the mistaken belief that one can recover from a Covid viral infection despite all evidence to the contrary. .
Please provide evidence for the claim that one cannot recover from a COVID infection.

Old 08-23-22, 04:37 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 1,318 Times in 671 Posts
There is the mistaken belief that one can recover from a Covid viral infection despite all evidence to the contrary. There is permanent damage to the body. It if more like children getting scarlet fever which can resulted in damaged to the heart. A friend's father who was very fit and did not drink or smoke, at age 32 had a heart attack and died in the lobby of a bank where he was planning to get traveler's checks for the family vacation.

My wife and I have avoided air travel completely. I cannot see sufficient reason to risk permanent damage to my body, and my lungs and brain in particular. If I became infected I would most likely avoid spending time in a hospital and acquiring some new additional infection, but the damage to my body would be something I would have to live with for the rest of my life.

I want to do everything possible to live as long a healthy life as possible and avoid high risk behavior that will jeopardize that objective. Fortunately my wife shares my desire.
That’s a sad story. Do what you need to do and feel safe regarding COVID. But who gets Travelers Cheques nowadays especially a 32 year old? Also is your friend 14 years old?
Old 09-08-22, 08:23 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2555 Post(s)
Liked 5,579 Times in 2,895 Posts
There is the mistaken belief that one can recover from a Covid viral infection despite all evidence to the contrary. There is permanent damage to the body. .
Please provide links to your source/s.

I use CDC and John’s Hopkins for my information which doesn’t match yours.

Old 09-08-22, 08:34 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Quick update, am on week 4 post infection. All symptoms abated except energy level which I understand is common. If I work in the garden (pruning and weeding) for more than 2 hours am exhausted and need a rest. Since I am driven to be active, this rather sucks, but can feel myself gradually getting better. Having to force myself to take it easier than I would like. Took a friend 5 weeks to get back to pre-COVID and now he is out getting PRs again.

Wife went out yesterday for a. 20 mile ride and returned after 11 exhausted. Both have a way to go.

Last edited by rsbob; 09-08-22 at 08:38 PM.
Old 09-08-22, 09:57 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Interesting reading. Have been twice vaccinated and twice boosted and avoided the bug, as well as international travel, for two years. Decided it was time to get out in the world again and flew masked to Norway. Their daily infection rate is 2 per 100,00. Sounded pretty safe. We flew masked up above the arctic circle to some beautiful fjords and islands. Virtually no one ☝️ n Norway was wearing a mask anywhere. We decided to drop our guard and forego masks on the flights back (prop-jets). After loading there were two preteens directly behind us. One had a horrible loose cough. My wife and I looked at one another and grabbed our masks. Three days later we both tested positive. That was in week one of a three week trip including Ireland where we are now driving ourselves around, eating outside, in the car, or in our rooms. My wife got Paxlovid before the trip which she just finished her full course. I am without and taking all sorts of drugs to suppress symptoms.

my symptoms are typical, low fever, congestion, cough and low energy. The usual mental fog I get with a standard cold I have now, which isn’t exactly helping me drive a 5 speed Opel on the left side of the road through roads with no center lines that are typically 25% smaller than in the US.

should be home in another week and hope to be feeling better. On Paxlovid, my wife has already tested negative where my gray line only gets more dark. First world problems.
will report on recovery and cycling when back
wear your masks on planes!
sorry to hear about you and your wife's COVID infection. Hope you have no lingering issues after the main infection recedes.
Can I ask how your wife was able to get Paxlovid before your trip? I assume she wasn't 'positive' before the trip?
I'm heading to Europe in Begin of Oct, for the month. Gonna take as many precautions as possible, especially during the travel phase. An wondering about 'treatment', like Paxlovid, should I have my usual turn of luck...
Thanks for any info
Yuri
Old 09-08-22, 10:46 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by cyclezen
sorry to hear about you and your wife's COVID infection. Hope you have no lingering issues after the main infection recedes.
Can I ask how your wife was able to get Paxlovid before your trip? I assume she wasn't 'positive' before the trip?
I'm heading to Europe in Begin of Oct, for the month. Gonna take as many precautions as possible, especially during the travel phase. An wondering about 'treatment', like Paxlovid, should I have my usual turn of luck...
Thanks for any info
Yuri
My wife was not positive before the trip. She has severe RA which is being managed by a couple of drugs but puts her more at risk than the general already vaccinated public. Her Rheumatologist bent the rules a bit because we would be abroad and ordered it ‘just in case’ which turned out to be the case. I fortunately don’t have any pre-existing conditions but approached my PCP nonetheless. He turned me down flat. Wear N95s at the airport, on your flights and whenever in close proximity to others. Outdoors should be fine and restaurants with good spacing between tables should be alright. Our mistake was letting our guard down because infection rates are exceptionally low in Norway, 2 per 100,000/day and no one wore masks. We got it on a puddle jump flight when in Norway with a coughing kid behind us. We caught it before we could put on our masks. We did take cold medication with us just in case which came in handy, but did have to go to the local pharmacies when they ran out.

Have a good trip. Masking inconvenience is well worth the effort. We still regret not being more diligent.
Have a safe trip.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 09-09-22, 10:24 AM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 430 Posts
Thanks, I also have a low immune sys situation, so maybe I can get some to take along. I'm still masking in all situations where there are groups of people in proximity.
Personally, wearing a mask is not anything incovenient. I mean, it certainly isn;t stopping me from breathing, LOL! Considering the really physical stressful stuff I've survived throughout my years, whining about masking is a WTF?... LOL! I plan on masking for the foreseeable future... Biggest problem I have is getting out of the car (or leaving the house) without the masks in hand... same problem I have with taking my glasses with me... senior stuff... LOL!
good tip though... I'll bug my oncologist to give me a prescript...
Thanks
Yuri
Likes For cyclezen:
Old 09-09-22, 10:54 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10143 Post(s)
Liked 5,833 Times in 3,141 Posts

Originally Posted by Biker395
Please provide evidence for the claim that one cannot recover from a COVID infection.
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
That’s a sad story. Do what you need to do and feel safe regarding COVID. But who gets Travelers Cheques nowadays especially a 32 year old? Also is your friend 14 years old?
Please provide links to your source/s.

I use CDC and John’s Hopkins for my information which doesn’t match yours.
There are some large studies on morbidity and mortality in the months or years after COVID, which suggest lasting risk, particularly for vascular events (stroke and MI), and one a study of a large repository of brain MRI scans from the UK, showing brain tissue loss after infection. All scary enough, but none of these should be taken to imply that complete recovery is impossible or even uncommon. Also, where stratification for severity and COVID risk factors was done, these have been shown to predict post-COVID morbidity. The brain tissue loss is concerning, but many stressors (intercontinental travel, corticosteroid treatment, etc.) shrink the brain and brains seem generally to plump back up after the stress is removed.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 09-09-22, 08:35 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by MoAlpha
There are some large studies on morbidity and mortality in the months or years after COVID, which suggest lasting risk, particularly for vascular events (stroke and MI), and one a study of a large repository of brain MRI scans from the UK, showing brain tissue loss after infection. All scary enough, but none of these should be taken to imply that complete recovery is impossible or even uncommon. Also, where stratification for severity and COVID risk factors was done, these have been shown to predict post-COVID morbidity. The brain tissue loss is concerning, but many stressors (intercontinental travel, corticosteroid treatment, etc.) shrink the brain and brains seem generally to plump back up after the stress is removed.
It might be helpful if you delineate which variant of COVID you are referring to. Yes the original COVID-19 was the worst in terms of the impact to most body systems, but the subsequent variants, specifically 4 and 5 are not nearly as vicious.

Did a search on impact on the brain and flying and came up empty. I have read about increased cosmic radiation levels for flight personnel but that is it. https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/topics/air...radiation.html

Old 09-11-22, 02:09 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10143 Post(s)
Liked 5,833 Times in 3,141 Posts
It might be helpful if you delineate which variant of COVID you are referring to. Yes the original COVID-19 was the worst in terms of the impact to most body systems, but the subsequent variants, specifically 4 and 5 are not nearly as vicious.

Did a search on impact on the brain and flying and came up empty. I have read about increased cosmic radiation levels for flight personnel but that is it. https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/topics/air...radiation.html
I was referring to an increased risk of non-COVID events after recovery from acute disease. These are large, population-based, studies, some retrospective, which did not obtain viral sequences. I suppose one could look them up and infer the strain mix from time and place, but I don’t have time.

Temporal lobe volume loss from jet lag
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 09-12-22, 10:46 PM
missinglink

Bikes: 2013 Marin Redwood - 2015 Specialized Allez Sport

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 21 Posts
Best places to get Covid is in an airport or in a passenger jet or in a karoke bar. The Veterans Administration released its findings that those who have had a Covid infection are twice as likely to die from all causes as those who have not been infected. Not unexpected considering Covid viruses affect every organ in the body.
I couldn't agree more. I hadn't been on a plane since 1969. Decided to treat myself and the wife to a week in Alaska after living like hermits for years. Arrived on a Sunday and tested positive for covid four days later. We're fully boosted and always mask up.

It felt like a case of Flu, and got pretty bad, pretty fast. We ended up at a clinic in Fairbanks where they gave both the wife and I the monoclonal antibody treatments.

The biggest shock to us was the airports. We carried our Vax cards and expected to be screened or tested for fever. There was none of that. They didn't even require masks on the plane or in the terminals. So when I started feeling ill, it was no surprise when I tested positive with the home test kits we carried along.

I felt relief within 12 hours after treatment, and am about 90% good now, five days after treatment. The wife never felt bad and never tested positive, but was also given the treatment at their urging.
Old 09-13-22, 10:41 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Tested completely negative today and to celebrate went out for an easy short ride with a bit of climbing. My heart rate was above normal which was concerning but did not feel bad. Will continue to slowly get back and man does it feel great.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 09-14-22, 07:58 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 1,919 Times in 1,203 Posts
Tested completely negative today and to celebrate went out for an easy short ride with a bit of climbing. My heart rate was above normal which was concerning but did not feel bad. Will continue to slowly get back and man does it feel great.
The hardest part for me has been resetting my expectations. The first week was comparatively easy: "Wow, it feels good to be back on the bike! I'll just train and regain my speed and endurance." My second week's self-talk was more like, "Dang it, I've been recuperating and training for a week. Why can't I go a far and as fast as I could before I got sick?" It's hard to accept that, compared to 10 miles a day, I'm doing much better now at 25 miles but 40 miles is on the upper edge of my range.
Old 09-14-22, 08:37 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2970 Post(s)
Liked 1,177 Times in 768 Posts
There is the mistaken belief that one can recover from a Covid viral infection despite all evidence to the contrary. There is permanent damage to the body.
This is simply not true.

I had Covid last October. Lasted a Friday through the following Wednesday. Some fever, minor cough and a couple of naps here and there during the day. By Thursday I was pretty much back to normal and my fitness level is the same as it ever was. I'm not vaxxed either.

https://katv.com/news/nation-world/n...navirus-hybrid

https://www.reuters.com/business/hea...us-2022-01-19/
Old 09-14-22, 01:05 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked 1,974 Times in 565 Posts
I’ve been traveling a lot as of late … I’m abroad as I write this.

I can say this. Perhaps 1/500 - 1/2000 people I see are wearing masks, and no one is checking temperatures or vax cards. That includes airports, airplanes, trains (some packed to the gills) and tourist attractions (also packed).

Old 09-14-22, 07:48 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by pdlamb
The hardest part for me has been resetting my expectations. The first week was comparatively easy: "Wow, it feels good to be back on the bike! I'll just train and regain my speed and endurance." My second week's self-talk was more like, "Dang it, I've been recuperating and training for a week. Why can't I go a far and as fast as I could before I got sick?" It's hard to accept that, compared to 10 miles a day, I'm doing much better now at 25 miles but 40 miles is on the upper edge of my range.
Appreciate sharing your experience. Will set my expectations appropriately

Old 09-14-22, 07:50 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by Biker395
I’ve been traveling a lot as of late … I’m abroad as I write this.

I can say this. Perhaps 1/500 - 1/2000 people I see are wearing masks, and no one is checking temperatures or vax cards. That includes airports, airplanes, trains (some packed to the gills) and tourist attractions (also packed).
three weeks abroad, Norway and Ireland and can count on one hand the number of people wearing masks. Was astounding.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 09-15-22, 08:42 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2970 Post(s)
Liked 1,177 Times in 768 Posts
Why is that astounding? I haven't seen anyone wearing masks in over a year.
Old 09-17-22, 07:18 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 429 Posts
I'm nervously waiting for that year when things just start to decline. I feared my COVID infection would be the start of that, but it looks like I might have gotten over that hump.

I had a mild case back in April, just before I turned 65. Within a week after a negative self-test I was back on the bike, even climbing a little, but the climbing wasn't fun. It took a couple of months to recover to the point where climbing was fun again. I thought it was interesting that I felt normal in everything else I do, including hiking in hills and working on trail and theater set crews. I guess climbing on the bike is the most strenuous activity I do now.

With the reduction of COVID-related closures, life got closer to normal and I didn't cycle as much this summer. I just realized the summer is winding down and if I want to cycle in the high country here in Colorado I'd better get going at it. I made my first attempt of the season at climbing above treeline last week, and it went very well. I'm hoping to get in a few more trips and see if I can get back into the excellent condition I achieved last year.
Old 09-17-22, 10:30 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by prj71
Why is that astounding? I haven't seen anyone wearing masks in over a year.
On the plane over, about 1/3 of the passengers were masked.

Old 09-17-22, 10:39 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Final update. Went out today and did 50 miles but didn’t feel too energetic and certainly didn’t climb like the pre-days but then I also have had 5 weeks off too. Am definitely well on the road to getting back to my old self. Looking at the last time I rode the route, I was 0.4 MPH slower this time with an average of 15.5 with 2,400’ climbimg. In a few weeks will get the new COVID shot and hopefully will have better immunity for a handful of months.

Old 09-18-22, 09:08 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 1,840 Times in 1,059 Posts
related notes

unless the mask is high quality (N95 or similar variation) and is fit correctly (no gaps) - the mask is barely providing any protection

Denmark is one country that is now banning booster shots for anyone under 50 yrs old unless they have a medical condition
Old 09-19-22, 08:24 AM
missinglink

Bikes: 2013 Marin Redwood - 2015 Specialized Allez Sport

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 21 Posts
I'm currently starting day 12 of recovery. I'd earlier thought I'd be well over this by now. My wife insisted I go see our family doc because of my symptoms persisting.
He prescribed antibiotics and a decongestant on Thursday the 15th. (I first tested positive on the 8th).

I think I'm making progress, but it's been slower than expected. The amount of gunk I've coughed up from my lungs gives me a better understanding of why so many people end up on a ventilator.
Old 09-20-22, 11:46 AM
Sorcerer

Location: '16 StumpJ, Salsa Mukluk, Soulcycles SS, Dean Colonel HT, BMC FourstrokeTrail, Dean Torres CX, Santana Visa Tandem, Trek T2000 Tandem, Cupertino MTB Tandem, FreeAgent26"Xtracycle, Dirt Drop Dingle, Jamis Dragon Dingle, Airborne Skyhag SS, SSDean Cols
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 61 Posts
On My Day 5 of COVID-19

Today is 09/20/2022 and according to the local protocol it's DAY5 of my infection.

In theory, from the sounds of it, I can go back to work as soon as I get a negative PCR test . So I've already given my sample this morning. Results tomorrow.

All days since infection have had symptoms, mostly mild, including today.

I'm 63.

I did lose my sense of smell for the limited period of Sunday afternoon. On Sunday after disinfecting the bathroom I was consigned to in our house, making a project out of making it nice after a summer of neglect, I decided a bath sounded good. That's the first bath in many years. It was good, but the pine scented soap offered no scent. Then I checked the next day and I could smell it fine.

Instead of riding and work I've been doing some digital keyboard music composition, and yesterday I made some recordings. I'm a total hack. Well later I took a nap, and at some point I woke up and said toy myself hey I left the computer on and turned the thing off and lost all of the "work" I did. This is brain fog. I wouldn't normally do that. No big deal though, because despite the brain fog and the symptoms I can still play and do it over today.

That's just weird though. I disregarded the computer prompts to savey work. My bad. It's sort of makes me wonder if I could forget to torque bolts to spec while working now.

I'll have to be extra-methodical.

​​​​​​Next thing is working on a flat lander bike today and taking it for a solo spin on an empty short circuit . I haven't been on a bike since last Wednesday.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.