Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Right hooked her. Ran over her. She's dead.

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Right hooked her. Ran over her. She's dead.

Old 12-07-22, 03:50 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5764 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,404 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
No shufflin' off to Buffalo for you, eh?
Not that far, but I'm considering moving upstate because it's lo longer necessary to accept the high cost of living here.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 12-07-22, 04:00 PM
stevel610 

Bikes: Novara Safari, CAAD9, WABI Classic, WABI Thunder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 457 Times in 240 Posts
Originally Posted by JW Fas
In the past decade I've observed that CDL standards have slipped considerably. The way I see many truckers drive nowadays makes me wonder if they got their licenses out of a cereal box.
CDL standards are actually higher than they've ever been. Though a flatbed might not require a cdl (if gvwr <26,001 pounds). Might have had a blind spot in the right rear of the cab and a headache shield on the bed preventing seeing out a back window.

Last edited by stevel610; 12-07-22 at 04:03 PM.
Old 12-07-22, 10:20 PM
northernlights

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rekmeyata
Unfortunately most cycling accident deaths are caused by cyclists unaware of the dangers of a busy city street, even though roughly 56% of all motorists vs cyclists accidents are the fault of the motorists, still a lot of those accidents could have been avoided had the cyclist understood some dangers that are going on around them. Cyclists need to yield to motorists regardless if the cyclist doesn't have to, quite simply a cyclist will lose to a vehicle; is it better to be slowed down and yield and stay alive, or is it better not to yield and exert your legal rights and die?

That is the correct mindset to have when riding a bike. But too many cyclists would rather play chicken with a multi-ton motor vehicle than to yield to it.

Even when I'm driving a car if there is an erratic or crazy driver on the road I will get out of their way as soon as I can. I don't need to play chicken with someone who may be drunk, high on drugs, mentally ill, etc. That is what they always teach you in driver education class learning to drive a car, to have a defensive mindset. You must assume that every other driver on the road is drunk, high, crazy, or simply not paying attention---until proven otherwise.

Always expect the unexpected and prepare to take evasive maneuvers when needed. You can never just assume others will do the right thing and respect your right of way.
The defensive mindset is even more critical to have when you are on a bicycle. Because the consequences are potentially much more severe if something bad happens and one is not within the protective cage of a motor vehicle.
Old 12-08-22, 09:42 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

One helpful trick is to use the truck's mirrors.

If you look directly at his mirror, and co not see the driver, he doesn't see you either.

Of course, if you do see the driver, it's no guarantee that he sees you, but at least he can.

When I'm riding among trucks at the same speed, I'll adjust my position to center myself in the driver's sightlines.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

Old 12-08-22, 10:59 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1430 Post(s)
Liked 330 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by northernlights
...You can never just assume others will do the right thing...
And ^^THIS is it in a nutshell.
Old 12-08-22, 11:10 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1125 Post(s)
Liked 249 Times in 200 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
One helpful trick is to use the truck's mirrors.

If you look directly at his mirror, and co not see the driver, he doesn't see you either.

Of course, if you do see the driver, it's no guarantee that he sees you, but at least he can.

When I'm riding among trucks at the same speed, I'll adjust my position to center myself in the driver's sightlines.
That's good thing to do, as long as it doesn't bring you along side of the truck.
Old 12-08-22, 11:25 PM
FBinNY 

That's good thing to do, as long as it doesn't bring you along side of the truck.
No. You never want to hang out beside the trailer. However, I'll factor eye contact when getting ready to pass.

I don't pass moving trucks if I'm not reasonably confident that they see me.

Old 12-09-22, 10:59 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
No. You never want to hang out beside the trailer. However, I'll factor eye contact when getting ready to pass.

My general rule at a stopped intersection is to be ether directly in front of or behind any sort of truck.
Old 12-10-22, 11:39 AM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1125 Post(s)
Liked 249 Times in 200 Posts

I never passed large trucks or buses, it's just too dangerous, far too dangerous.
Likes For rekmeyata:
Old 12-10-22, 12:16 PM
FBinNY 

I never passed large trucks or buses, it's just too dangerous, far too dangerous.
I don't know if I'm lucky or unlucky, bit I live and ride in conditions where my speed and that of traffic are fairly matched. That means plenty of passing and getting passed.

FWIW I don't consider this unsafe, but unforgiving, which is why I'm a firm believer in riding smart.

Last edited by FBinNY; 12-10-22 at 02:45 PM.
Old 12-10-22, 01:30 PM
greatscott

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Club, Suntour ARX; 2013 Lynskey Peloton, mostly 105 with Ultegra rear derailleur, Enve 2.0 fork; 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c, full Deore with TRP dual piston mech disk brakes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 71 Posts
I should have never said I never pass a truck. The only time I would consider passing a truck is if there are two lanes and no cars to prevent me from moving over to the left of the truck, and if I can go faster than the truck, then I will pass if I have gotten eyes from the driver. I don't care if I have eyes from the driver to pass on the right, I won't do it. Even if there is no intersection or driveways coming up I still won't pass a truck on the right, I've seen truckers weave just enough to one side or the other that could put a cyclist into trouble, or at the very least make the cyclist feel very nervous.

The other thing to be careful about is stopping behind a truck if on a hill, I've seen trucks roll back 2 to 3 feet before getting enough clutch to move forward, even if I'm in a car I stay about 6 to 8 feet back from a truck on a hill if we're stopped.

That's just what I do, everyone has to do what they think is good for them, but I'm allergic to pain, and dying too early, and now that I'm older it takes a lot longer to heal if I'm injured.
Likes For greatscott:
Old 12-10-22, 02:58 PM
FBinNY 

^^^^^^^^^^^^

This, and I'll add my rule for passing buses at stop
As I approach from behind I'll eyeball the passengers waiting to board, and/or, if possible, those inside waiting to get off. A decent crowd means the bus will stay put, giving me time to pass. Nobody or a lone person means the driver is getting ready to pull back out into the road, so no pass unless I'm 100% SURE the driver knows I'm there.

Passing trucks and buses or not isn't a question of yes or never, it's a question of when and how.