Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+) > Pills and Ills
Reload this Page >

I've seen prostate relief seats advertised

Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Old 10-12-22, 04:31 PM
revetment

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

do they help any? How about the spring loaded seat-tube? I'm 70 and it's not a joke.
Old 10-12-22, 05:16 PM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 393 Post(s)
Liked 856 Times in 422 Posts
Both have helped me. My spring seatpost (a Kinekt) takes about 3/4" worth of bump out. For me, this seat was a revelation:

Selle SMP TRK
Old 10-12-22, 05:38 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,424 Times in 2,825 Posts
Be warned, the above seat (i have one on my MTB) is VERY soft. I bought it for my road bike for the same reason as the OP, but after 30+ miles it started to hurt my sit bone area. After trying 6 seats I settled on this Selle Italia for my road bikes. Everyone has different preferences for comfort but this seat has just enough padding for 60+ mile rides and my prostate stays relatively happy.

Old 10-13-22, 03:21 AM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 979 Times in 514 Posts
I have a case of BHP, meaning my prostate is large. It was the size of a large grapefruit. Now post-surgery it had an apple sized chunk out of the inside.
I still ride a Brooks B17, Professional, Flyer, or a Cambium C19 or C17.
My Doctor said that he knows of no reason for prostate troubles due to bicycles.
A good bike fit helps to make sure you are not over stretching your leg.
Old 10-16-22, 01:46 PM
revetment

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If I were you, I'd change doctors.

Originally Posted by bwilli88
I have a case of BHP, meaning my prostate is large. It was the size of a large grapefruit. Now post-surgery it had an apple sized chunk out of the inside.
I still ride a Brooks B17, Professional, Flyer, or a Cambium C19 or C17.
My Doctor said that he knows of no reason for prostate troubles due to bicycles.
A good bike fit helps to make sure you are not over stretching your leg.
https://www.google.com/search?q=does...hrome&ie=UTF-8
Old 10-16-22, 07:24 PM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

My Doc is been in the field of Prostate health for 30+ years and has quite a few studies on prostates and.
He said that a normal prostate is hidden behind the perineal muscles, a normally a very strong muscle particularly with cyclists, and it is only a problem if the bike does not fit, potentially causing inflammation, or there is another underlying factor, BHP for example.
I know he has in the works a planned study of cyclists who have BHP or have a normal prostate to try to understand effects or not of both long-term riding or consistent long-distance riding.
So I am staying with him.
His Name is Paul Seiber from Lancaster, PA
Old 10-17-22, 06:37 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3059 Post(s)
Liked 6,378 Times in 3,691 Posts
Thread moved from General Cycling to 50+ Pills & Ills.

Old 10-17-22, 05:05 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1063 Post(s)
Liked 771 Times in 499 Posts
My Doc is been in the field of Prostate health for 30+ years and has quite a few studies on prostates and.
He said that a normal prostate is hidden behind the perineal muscles, a normally a very strong muscle particularly with cyclists, and it is only a problem if the bike does not fit, potentially causing inflammation, or there is another underlying factor, BHP for example.
I know he has in the works a planned study of cyclists who have BHP or have a normal prostate to try to understand effects or not of both long-term riding or consistent long-distance riding.
BTW, it's BPH Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia
Old 10-17-22, 09:20 PM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
BTW, it's BPH Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia
Yes, I know. I was just on another website dealing with firearms and was in a thread about the BHP, Browning High Power and the new High Power from FN.
I knew it was wrong here but my mind blanked.
Old 10-18-22, 02:13 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1063 Post(s)
Liked 771 Times in 499 Posts
As with many things in life -- “You say potato, I say pot-ah-to.” My PCa - Prostate Cancer Doctor has 40+ years dealing with cancers and 30+ years specializing in PCa treatment and development of medical equipment/techniques/immunotherapy for treating PCa. His take is that riding a bike can indeed affect the health of one's Prostate.