Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Loctite grade for loose crown race ?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-22, 03:22 AM
redshift1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 36 Posts

I have a nice original chromed fork for a mid-80's Peugeot Aneto frame, perfect except for a loose crown race problem. It is definitely the fork's seat that is undersize i.e. there is no problem with the crown race. The gap involved is no more than one thou.

I have previously used Loctite 648 retaining compound ( that's the grade here in Australia ) to secure the race and upon subsequent race removal a day later ( don't ask, done for an unrelated issue... ), I found the strength of this grade to be way over the top, as judged by the effort it took to remove the race. I actually chose this grade because it had the highest shear strength of all Loctite's retaining products, as I thought that perhaps it was needed in this application.

I would like to try again with a lower strength Loctite. Does anyone have personal experience with doing this and could possibly recommend a suitable Loctite product ?

I am not sure about the forces on the crown race during actual use.
Old 11-10-22, 03:35 AM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
i use the green bearing retainer grade, not sure of number... you can also use a center punch to dimple the fork crown mating surface... six to ten evenly spaced dimples, depending on how loose the fit is. there are also these cool cylindrical shims called "Easy Sleeve"... various thicknesses and diameters..... precise micrometer measurements required.
Likes For maddog34:
Old 11-10-22, 06:30 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,214 Times in 1,103 Posts
@redshift1 - @maddog34 has it right. you want the crown race concentric to the steerer.
Old 11-10-22, 06:34 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
A well-equipped bike shop will have a knurling tool that will make quick work of increasing the diameter of the seat to fit your race.
Likes For Moe Zhoost:
Old 11-10-22, 10:26 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 5767 Post(s)
Liked 2,541 Times in 1,407 Posts
The first step is to build up the crown seat to properly locate and support the crown race.

This is an easy DIY job with low cost tools you may already own.

You'll need a hammer, center punch, some kind of anvil, bench vise or other support. Support the fork at the crown race and steerer with the crown and blades overhanging. Use the hammer and punch to raise a series of "volcanoes" at even 5mm or so intervals all the way around. Don't sweat size, but keep them reasonably uniform.

Now you can press the crown race home, and it'll stay tight and centered. If you wish you can apply body filler for added support, then press before it sets which will push out excess, and you're good for the next 100k miles.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 11-12-22, 03:50 AM
redshift1

Originally Posted by maddog34
i use the green bearing retainer grade, not sure of number... you can also use a center punch to dimple the fork crown mating surface... six to ten evenly spaced dimples, depending on how loose the fit is. there are also these cool cylindrical shims called "Easy Sleeve"... various thicknesses and diameters..... precise micrometer measurements required.
Three good options. I will investigate further.

Originally Posted by SJX426
@redshift1 - @maddog34 has it right. you want the crown race concentric to the steerer.
I'll check measurements using micrometer, etc. and see if this is going to be an issue but is a good point which I had not thought of.

Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
A well-equipped bike shop will have a knurling tool that will make quick work of increasing the diameter of the seat to fit your race.
I did some knurling at technical class many years ago. Not sure that the bike mechanics I have spoken to would know how to use this tool. Would have to find a good one. I would even consider doing it myself if I had a lathe !

Originally Posted by FBinNY
The first step is to build up the crown seat to properly locate and support the crown race.

This is an easy DIY job with low cost tools you may already own.

You'll need a hammer, center punch, some kind of anvil, bench vise or other support. Support the fork at the crown race and steerer with the crown and blades overhanging. Use the hammer and punch to raise a series of "volcanoes" at even 5mm or so intervals all the way around. Don't sweat size, but keep them reasonably uniform.

Now you can press the crown race home, and it'll stay tight and centered. If you wish you can apply body filler for added support, then press before it sets which will push out excess, and you're good for the next 100k miles.
Great detailed procedure information !

Thanks to everyone for their help.
Old 11-12-22, 05:05 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 796 Times in 473 Posts
A spring loaded center punch will do the job nicely. No need to use a hammer and all of the punches will be the same size. I've used this method for crown races and headset cups and it works great.
Old 11-12-22, 07:40 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 656 Times in 370 Posts
Originally Posted by redshift1
Three good options. I will investigate further.

I'll check measurements using micrometer, etc. and see if this is going to be an issue but is a good point which I had not thought of.

I did some knurling at technical class many years ago. Not sure that the bike mechanics I have spoken to would know how to use this tool. Would have to find a good one. I would even consider doing it myself if I had a lathe !

Great detailed procedure information !

Thanks to everyone for their help.
A Stein knurling tool will do the trick with no lathe required.
Certainly not worth it for a one time use but if you can find a local shop that has one it does a nice job.
Here is one of a couple of videos I have done showing the procedure.

Old 11-13-22, 03:42 PM
redshift1

Originally Posted by dsaul
A spring loaded center punch will do the job nicely. No need to use a hammer and all of the punches will be the same size. I've used this method for crown races and headset cups and it works great.
Good to know that if I go this way.

Dan Burkhart

Certainly not worth it for a one time use but if you can find a local shop that has one it does a nice job.

You video shows this very well.

If you see this question, can I ask you whether or not you need to run the fork race milling tool down over the knurled part, after the knurling is done ? ( Not asking about the actual milling of the fork far end seating surface, but only of the knurled part. )

In other words, to reduce the diameter of the raised knurled part back down to the original dimension.
Old 11-13-22, 05:13 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 5767 Post(s)
Liked 2,541 Times in 1,407 Posts

In other words, to reduce the diameter of the raised knurled part back down to the original dimension.
ABSOLUTELY NOT.

Whether you raise metal with a center punch or a knurling tool, you do not want to remove metal. Since it's only raised metal that you flowed from the valleys to the peaks, the race will have no problem flowing some of it back as it's pressed home.

FWIW - my oldest bike with the most mileage (60,000 when I stopped counting) had the crown fitted using the center punch method starting from when it was new.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 11-13-22, 07:20 PM
redshift1

Originally Posted by FBinNY
ABSOLUTELY NOT.

Whether you raise metal with a center punch or a knurling tool, you do not want to remove metal. Since it's only raised metal that you flowed from the valleys to the peaks, the race will have no problem flowing some of it back as it's pressed home.

FWIW - my oldest bike with the most mileage (60,000 when I stopped counting) had the crown fitted using the center punch method starting from when it was new.
Awesome. Thanks FB.
Old 11-13-22, 07:34 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 656 Times in 370 Posts
Good to know that if I go this way.

Dan Burkhart

You video shows this very well.

If you see this question, can I ask you whether or not you need to run the fork race milling tool down over the knurled part, after the knurling is done ? ( Not asking about the actual milling of the fork far end seating surface, but only of the knurled part. )

Well the milling tool has to pass over the knurled part to do it’s real work which is to ensure the seat is flat and perpendicular to the shaft.
It also ensures that the cylindrical part of the seat is concentric.