Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Support your LBS

Old 01-17-23, 12:43 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3341 Post(s)
Liked 3,442 Times in 1,740 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
Trek can becone like [price-focused brand] Canyon, by lowering all of its prices.
Trek will not discount online, of course. Because it doesn't need to, and doing so would hurt its brick and mortar sales.

Trek is a quality brand in the minds of consumers (second only to Specialized), and it has a decent network of (mostly happy) retailers. Its direct-to-consumer program includes the retailer in the transaction, keeping those retailers happy (or as happy as an LBS owner can be these days). Trek's program provides convenience to the consumer, without harming its established distribution channel. Win (trek), win (consumer), win (LBS).

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 01-17-23, 01:33 PM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2965 Post(s)
Liked 1,167 Times in 763 Posts
Litespeed and Kestrel, off the top of my head.
So you named 2 brands out of how many that I listed earlier in this thread that are thriving? And there is nothing nor ever was anything prestigious about Litespeed or Kestrel. Just like everyone else...They designed (or copied) a frame and slapped on components from one of the big component manufacturers.

You need to quit living in the past. I sense a lot of "get off my lawn" in your posts.

https://www.theproscloset.com/blogs/...er-bike-brands

https://gearandgrit.com/direct-to-consumer-bike-brands/
Likes For prj71:
Old 01-17-23, 01:55 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3906 Post(s)
Liked 7,182 Times in 2,905 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
So you named 2 brands out of how many that I listed earlier in this thread that are thriving? And there is nothing nor ever was anything prestigious about Litespeed or Kestrel. Just like everyone else...They designed (or copied) a frame and slapped on components from one of the big component manufacturers.

You need to quit living in the past. I sense a lot of "get off my lawn" in your posts.

Good links. I didn't know that both my main road bike (Factor) and my wife's (Alchemy) have gone to direct sales.
Old 01-17-23, 02:11 PM
Kontact

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 1,458 Times in 950 Posts

Who do you think Kestrel and Litespeed copied? The first all carbon frame and the first reliable ti road bike.

Last edited by Kontact; 01-17-23 at 02:16 PM.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 01-17-23, 06:59 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,874 Times in 4,638 Posts
"Branding" is the elements of a company's appeal to the public. For something like a hot dog, ease of buying is a high priority. For something like a Rolex, exclusivity is actually much more important. Brands that have relatively high priced goods - especially ones that are high even in their own market - rely much more on exclusivity to separate their brand from similar offerings. So "convenience" isn't actually a huge selling point, and often can detract from the warm fuzzies consumers get when they decide to spend a year's tuition on a hobby item. It takes away from their sense of seeking out something truly excellent and being treated as discerning in return.
All I know is that online bike sellers like Canyon are much more profitable than this company. Though I suppose that, if you're going for "exclusivity," you're on the right track. After all, I'd never before even heard of your saddles, much less ever seen one.
Old 01-17-23, 07:31 PM
CrimsonEclipse

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 505 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 335 Posts
If accurate and helpful mechanical and fitting advice from a professional is toxic - then yes.
No not at all

I meant snide, rude, self inflated and no useful contribution.
Likes For CrimsonEclipse:
Old 01-17-23, 07:46 PM
Kontact

Originally Posted by Koyote
All I know is that online bike sellers like Canyon are much more profitable than this company. Though I suppose that, if you're going for "exclusivity," you're on the right track. After all, I'd never before even heard of your saddles, much less ever seen one.
Wow. You really are a nasty person, eh? Mylittle company got slammed by Covid production delays. I only just got restocked.

Canyon should be profitable! They're selling the equivalent of a $14,000 bike for $11,000, but didn't need to shell out for the $4000 the dealer would get or whatever the distributor's margin is.
Old 01-17-23, 07:50 PM
Kontact

Originally Posted by CrimsonEclipse
No not at all

I meant snide, rude, self inflated and no useful contribution.
Unlike all the rude people who don't even post about bikes and follow me around? Sure - I'm the jerk.

But I'm also the only person that recognized the problem a poster had with his Ultegra shifter and possibly the only person anywhere that developed a solution. Which I shared. Which is one of many examples.

So you are just another uninformed troll.
Old 01-17-23, 08:14 PM
Koyote

Wow. You really are a nasty person, eh?
If you're going to post your expert opinions and suggest that you're smarter than everyone at Specialized and Trek, you should expect someone to call you on it.
Old 01-17-23, 08:26 PM
Kontact

If you're going to post your expert opinions and suggest that you're smarter than everyone at Specialized and Trek, you should expect someone to call you on it.
I've repeatedly said that Specialized and Trek built empires from a whole series of wise decisions. I'm not like Trek or Specialized because I only make saddles. There is no comparison, unless you want to talk about the very beginning of either company.

When you overhear people talking about a football game, do you attack them for their Monday morning quarterbacking? It is amazing how offended you get about someone having an opinion you don't share. I hope you start getting treated similarly for having your own views.
Old 01-17-23, 09:09 PM
Koyote

It is amazing how offended you get about someone having an opinion you don't share.
That doesn't offend me at all. But that's not what you're doing, whether or not you realize it.
Old 01-17-23, 10:24 PM
CrimsonEclipse

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 505 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 335 Posts
Unlike all the rude people who don't even post about bikes and follow me around? Sure - I'm the jerk.

But I'm also the only person that recognized the problem a poster had with his Ultegra shifter and possibly the only person anywhere that developed a solution. Which I shared. Which is one of many examples.

So you are just another uninformed troll.
You sure are better than everyone else.
Narcissistic and pedantic.

You represent all of the worst aspects of bikeforums.net

Do us a favor and leave this place and make it a better forum.
Old 01-17-23, 10:51 PM
tomato coupe

Canyon should be profitable! They're selling the equivalent of a $14,000 bike for $11,000, but didn't need to shell out for the $4000 the dealer would get or whatever the distributor's margin is.
If Canyon is selling the equivalent of $14k bikes for $11k, how is that "a race to the bottom"? It sure looks like the customer is coming out ahead on that deal. And, since this business model is also generating good profits for Canyon, why do you continue to insist that it's a terrible business strategy for other companies to emulate?
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 01-17-23, 11:04 PM
Kontact

Originally Posted by CrimsonEclipse
You sure are better than everyone else.
Narcissistic and pedantic.

You represent all of the worst aspects of bikeforums.net

Do us a favor and leave this place and make it a better forum.
What motivates people like you to seek out others that you have no connection with and insult them?

I'm a pretty chill person for the most part, but certain people will slam anyone who expresses an opinion they don't care for. Those folks set the tone - not me. I'm just responding in kind.
Old 01-17-23, 11:29 PM
tomato coupe

As a general rule, if you find yourself saying "It's not me, it's everybody else", it probably means it is you.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 01-17-23, 11:44 PM
Kontact

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
If Canyon is selling the equivalent of $14k bikes for $11k, how is that "a race to the bottom"? It sure looks like the customer is coming out ahead on that deal. And, since this business model is also generating good profits for Canyon, why do you continue to insist that it's a terrible business strategy for other companies to emulate?
Because Trek has been a major player for 40 years, and Canyon is the newest flash in the pan. Trek owns a quarter of the market. Trek can ask and get $14k for a bike that another company would only get $11k for, or $800 for what another company gets $700.

Sustained higher prices that, instead of scaring off consumers, causes more of them to flock to your brand.

In contrast, all Canyon really has going for it is the value proposition. This much bike for this much money. Which is attractive, but only as long as there isn't someone else is doing it cheaper. Kmart did really well for decades, but then died because of Walmart. Now Walmart is struggling. That's the race to the bottom. Canyon is not the first company to do this. I forget the German company that was "hot" 8 years ago with a similar model.

It is both profitable and sustainable to not be the discounter.

In terms of consumers, there will always be bargain brands if that's what you need. But the benefit of sustainable brands is that they keep local bike shops running. Anybody from a small town knows how hard it is to get much done when Walmart comes to town and all the local specialty stores go out of business. Walmart doesn't really sell hardware, but suddenly there is no hardware store in town. Bike shops are kept going largely by bike shop exclusive brands. Having Trek in your shop makes people come in and buy things that they could have bought online. It keeps your service department open so all the weird junk Canyon does can be repaired. It gives consumers a place to even consider buying a ridiculously expensive bike from a really high end brand without the risk of sight unseen. And consumers get to participate in joining Trek fandom, if they wish, and buy a popular and slightly overpriced bike with massive name recognition.

It is absolutely true that when a product is priced higher, people believe they are getting more than they would from the less expensive product. That psychology makes a brand stable. Neiman Marcus, Audi, Lego, Disney, Ruth's Chris, Viking, Rolex, Tiffany's.
Old 01-17-23, 11:58 PM
Kontact

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
As a general rule, if you find yourself saying "It's not me, it's everybody else", it probably means it is you.
If the majority of your posts are about people and not the topic, you probably aren't very interested in the topic. I think this stuff is interesting. I don't think you are interesting. But you don't want to talk about anything but me, or attempt to turn the topic into a weapon against me.

It's not like you and I happen to disagree on one or two things. You and your clones follow me around for the thrill of being awful. People used to have a sense of shame when they acted like that.
Old 01-17-23, 11:59 PM
tomato coupe

In contrast, all Canyon really has going for it is the value proposition. This much bike for this much money. Which is attractive, but only as long as there isn't someone else is doing it cheaper.
I hate to break it to you, but providing the best value is a cornerstone of capitalism, as is the ever present possibility that someone will come along with something that offers better value. The idea that there is no future for a company that offers better value is pure silliness.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 01-18-23, 12:05 AM
tomato coupe

If the majority of your posts are about people and not the topic, you probably aren't very interested in the topic. I think this stuff is interesting. I don't think you are interesting. But you don't want to talk about anything but me, or attempt to turn the topic into a weapon against me.
Ummmm ... you just responded to my post (#88) that was about bikes, and right above this post is another one (#93) about bikes. But, I'm going to end it at that ...
Old 01-18-23, 08:09 AM
Koyote

In contrast, all Canyon really has going for it is the value proposition. This much bike for this much money. Which is attractive, but only as long as there isn't someone else is doing it cheaper.
I just spat up my coffee.

You seem to believe that "the value proposition" is a triviality, rather than a huge market advantage.

And when "someone else is doing it cheaper," that's called "competition" -- which benefits consumers.

You seem to have little (or no) understanding of how a market economy operates...I'd figured that out a while ago, but this post (above) makes it very stark. And yet, you keep posting about these very successful firms as if you know something that they don't understand. Have you heard of the Dunning-Kruger Effect?

Last edited by Koyote; 01-18-23 at 08:18 AM.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 01-18-23, 08:45 AM
Kontact

I just spat up my coffee.

You seem to believe that "the value proposition" is a triviality, rather than a huge market advantage.

And when "someone else is doing it cheaper," that's called "competition" -- which benefits consumers.

You seem to have little (or no) understanding of how a market economy operates...I'd figured that out a while ago, but this post (above) makes it very stark. And yet, you keep posting about these very successful firms as if you know something that they don't understand. Have you heard of the Dunning-Kruger Effect?
I already addressed what benefits customers about having bike shop brands that stick around.

What you seem to not get is what happens to brands that don't have brand loyalty beyond price. Here's an old article about direct to consumer bike brands. How many do you think are still around?
https://www.bikemag.com/gear-feature...e-new-economy/
Old 01-18-23, 08:48 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2965 Post(s)
Liked 1,167 Times in 763 Posts
. Here's an old article about direct to consumer bike brands. How many do you think are still around?
All of the DTC companies listed in that article are still around and doing well. Are you really that obtuse?

https://www.commencalusa.com/

https://us.yt-industries.com/

https://www.canyon.com/

https://www.diamondback.com/

https://spotbikes.com/

https://intensecycles.com/
Likes For prj71:
Old 01-18-23, 08:53 AM
Kontact

Are you really that obtuse?
Who did Litespeed and Kestrel copy, again?
Old 01-18-23, 08:54 AM
Koyote

I already addressed what benefits customers about having bike shop brands that stick around.

What you seem to not get is what happens to brands that don't have brand loyalty beyond price. Here's an old article about direct to consumer bike brands. How many do you think are still around?
You should take an introductory economics course. Seriously.
Old 01-18-23, 08:58 AM
Kontact

You should take an introductory economics course. Seriously.
You should try to post something that doesn't hinge entirely on calling me stupid.
Seriously.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.