Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Why does a simple water bottle cost over $10 now?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Why does a simple water bottle cost over $10 now?

Old 01-23-23, 07:42 AM
Kontact

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 1,458 Times in 950 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
The OP’s question is functionally equivalent to “Why are water bottles never under (or equal to) $10?”, which is almost identical to the above question.

This is clearly a different question, as it includes average price and most places, which the OP’s question did not address,
Again, the difference between general understanding and a pedantic adherence to the rules of logic. It's a thread about how expensive water bottles have gotten, regardless of the exact phrasing. Most people understand that. But the trolls latch onto whatever technicality they can to make their usual noise.
Old 01-23-23, 08:28 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,875 Times in 4,639 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
That's some funny spin on the subject.

The question was not "Why are water bottles never under $10?" The basic question is "Why have water bottle average prices increased to $10 most places?"
But that's not what the OP asked. Talk about "funny spin."

This is clearly a different question, as it includes average price and most places, which the OP’s question did not address,
Yup.

I think it's more respectful and more helpful to take the OP's question seriously rather than twist it into the question I think he should be asking. I mean, if he's complaining about water bottles costing >$10, what is more helpful than directing him to water bottles that cost <$10...? So that's what I did.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 01-23-23, 12:53 PM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked 575 Times in 343 Posts
Originally Posted by SpedFast
Are we talking 'True North' or 'Magnetic North'?
Magnetic obviously, but it doesn't matter because they don't point perfectly to magnetic North anyway, No Google, straight from a Ship's helm...
Old 01-23-23, 01:37 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3906 Post(s)
Liked 7,182 Times in 2,905 Posts
Originally Posted by wheelreason
Magnetic obviously, but it doesn't matter because they don't point perfectly to magnetic North anyway, No Google, straight from a Ship's helm...
Do GPS-based navigation systems on ships convert true heading to magnetic headings for display, or do they display true?
Old 01-23-23, 02:55 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
The OP’s question is functionally equivalent to “Why are water bottles never under (or equal to) $10?”, which is almost identical to the above question.

Frankly, if I can get an item at the price I want to pay, why would I care that the average price was higher?
Old 01-23-23, 07:16 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 491 Times in 325 Posts
Do GPS-based navigation systems on ships convert true heading to magnetic headings for display, or do they display true?
I can't answer your question, all I know is my main GPS always wants to know if I want true or magnetic. I've never gotten lost with it.
Old 01-24-23, 10:03 AM
wheelreason

Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked 575 Times in 343 Posts
True North, but you can change the setting on most, What I can't do is course up, everyone else seems to like it. We used to have Gyro compass which shows true North, used the magnetic as a check or back up, and GPS as a backup to that, but that was last century...
Old 01-24-23, 12:04 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,430 Times in 2,827 Posts
Originally Posted by alfaspider
i just got back to the states form many depoyments in the USArmy...and to my shock a simple water bottle has gone up 100% from when i last bought one here.. in europe, they cost about $5/6 american
Cannot say that I know with any degree of certainty but can only speculate why. Perhaps there is more profit taking by the manufacturers, sales reps, transportation and or bike sites/LBS. Perhaps its that customers will pay the higher amounts in the U.S. Maybe the Europeans get better deals from manufacturers or consider bottles as acceptable losses. I could guess and guess but only a study between the differences would give you a real answer. But it’s not study-worthy.

What you didn’t state was WHEN the last time you bought a bottle in the US. That’s an important piece of information.

Likes For rsbob: