Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Do front disc brake pads wear out faster than rear ones?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Do front disc brake pads wear out faster than rear ones?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-20, 11:02 AM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Bikes: Omnium Cargo Ti with Rohloff, Bullitt Milk Plus, Dahon Smooth Hound

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 199 Posts
Originally Posted by MyRedTrek
What??

My entire life has been a lie!!

Well, if you're willing to learn, the rest might not be
Likes For CargoDane:
Old 11-17-20, 12:03 AM
Joearch

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV Disc Ultegra

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 32 Posts
I have always used my rear brake 80% of the time. I guess over concern aboit going over the front wheel.
Old 11-17-20, 01:56 PM
MyRedTrek

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Joearch
I have always used my rear brake 80% of the time. I guess over concern aboit going over the front wheel.
We must grown up in the same neighborhood. I was told the same thing. Folks here say it ain't so. I think the guy who advised me was one of the smart, older kids who was into cycling. I remember being impressed because his bike was what he called an English racer. He's an attorney now.
Old 11-17-20, 05:49 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Your front brake provides 70% or more of your total braking power. You should be able to tell by feel what happens when you brake...weight is transferred forward. You can use the front brake harder but for less time because it works better. If you can brake with the rear and not skid you should be able to brake w/ the front w/o throwing yourself over the bars. You wouldn't just nail the lever to the bars knowing the potential for going OTB is there, right? Controlling brake force isn't rocket surgery.
Old 11-21-20, 02:14 PM
MyRedTrek

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by andrewclaus
The way I finally understood it was if you're running, which leg do you use to stop with?
That's actually not a good analogy - the mechanics of running is nothing like that of cycling. With running you're constantly driving off one leg, stopping yourself from falling with the other then driving off of it, over and over, you only have at most one leg on the ground at any given time, you're airborne during part of the stride. You begin to stop with whatever leg is in contact with the ground and resist the forward momentum, probably bring your other leg around to continue bleeding off the energy until you're stopped.
​​​​
Likes For MyRedTrek:
Old 11-21-20, 02:40 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1791 Post(s)
Liked 1,267 Times in 874 Posts
You need to practice "panic stops" before you need to make one.
Slide your butt back off the seat so you can lock your arms and you can use a LOT more front brake, while using just enough rear brake to not skid the rear.
It doesn't take long to learn and become "more natural" for when you actually need it.
Likes For Bill Kapaun: