Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

How to handle angry drivers?

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

How to handle angry drivers?

Old 08-14-21, 03:12 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by divergence
That'll show 'em. "Hey, when you tried to piss me off and get a reaction back there? It really pissed me off and got a reaction!" They'll think twice before they do that again!

Seriously, don't give 'em the satisfaction or a second thought. They're the ones locked in their silly steel cages, not you. Enjoy your ride.

I've had two situations where someone actually got out of their vehicle. Ignoring them really wasn't an option. I do a very good crazy when I need to.
Old 08-14-21, 03:58 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 15,288 Times in 7,227 Posts
My “silly steel cage” can be unlocked.
Old 08-14-21, 06:48 PM
rwh 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Pretty sure you got the wrong "Canada". This one is pronounced Canyada. It's in California.
My bad, if it is California then all bets are off. Good manners are a sign of weakness. I always enter these encounters with the assumption that the driver is out for his first drive since being released from prison for violent crimes resulting from a severe anger management issue.
Old 08-15-21, 12:23 AM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 2644 Post(s)
Liked 474 Times in 344 Posts
Generally I hug the right when a crazed cager is honking at me, no point in holding the lane vs that. Flip em off if you want.

the other day a truck did a punishment pass and I caught it at a light. Knocked on the window a bunch and she (surprised it was a woman) started to say she saw me. I tried to calmly explain how dangerous that is, and you don't have to hit someone to cause them to crash. Don't think i got through to her. think a lot of angry cagers stuck behind entitled cyclists like to own the libs and don't realize how dangerous it is.

Theres also the handy bike lock if you're feeling spicy, you don't have to use it just wave it as a threat. Meet their crazy with more crazy.
Old 08-15-21, 09:43 PM
Mark Stone
Tractorlegs

Bikes: Schwinn Meridian Single-Speed Tricycle

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 42 Posts
I just keep riding and ignore them. I've been cycling for 50+ years and these types of folks have always been around, and always will be.
Old 08-16-21, 04:47 AM
Comfort is King

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 22 Posts
I carry three metal water bottles. If someone tries to intimidate me, I pull it out, hold it to the side and let them take a hard look at it. Still trouble? I'll hold it in a ready-to-throw position. Works unbelievably well! Perfectly legal too.
Likes For Comfort is King:
Old 08-16-21, 06:02 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by Comfort is King
I carry three metal water bottles. If someone tries to intimidate me, I pull it out, hold it to the side and let them take a hard look at it. Still trouble? I'll hold it in a ready-to-throw position. Works unbelievably well! Perfectly legal too.
Good stuff
Old 08-16-21, 06:18 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3637 Post(s)
Liked 5,314 Times in 2,700 Posts
Originally Posted by Comfort is King
Wish you had taken videos of those Bubbas slinking away in shame!
Old 08-18-21, 11:52 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1601 Post(s)
Liked 2,187 Times in 1,092 Posts
They don't need a gun when they are piloting a 2000+ lb. weapon of mass destruction.
Old 08-20-21, 10:02 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
how to handle angry drivers
What you've got to do is cut the hamstring on the back of his leg, right at the bottom. He'll never play again. Because his weight displacement goes back, all his weight is on his right foot, and he'll push everything off to the right. He'll never come through on anything. He'll quit the game.
Old 08-21-21, 07:04 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 436 Posts
I've had two situations where someone actually got out of their vehicle. Ignoring them really wasn't an option. I do a very good crazy when I need to.
The only thing you can do in that situation is to tell him to call the cops. Make sure your helmet cam is recording. If you've done nothing wrong in accordance with the traffic law, the cop should be laughing in the bad driver's face.

If not, then you have an opportunity to turn this into a movement by presenting your argument in court.
Old 08-21-21, 08:56 AM
N2deep

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 57 Posts
In Korea honking your horn at a cyclist or pedestrians is considered polite. Shine it on and have fun, don’t let morons ruin your ride. If they stop and threaten violence bring out the small bear spray canister and give them a wiff or two and call the police after you clear the area.
Old 08-21-21, 10:36 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by Daniel4
The only thing you can do in that situation is to tell him to call the cops. Make sure your helmet cam is recording. If you've done nothing wrong in accordance with the traffic law, the cop should be laughing in the bad driver's face.

If not, then you have an opportunity to turn this into a movement by presenting your argument in court.
Really?
They weren't getting out of their vehicles to debate the matter, I just wanted to get out of there without engaging in a fistfight. Since they were blocking my path with their vehicle, my best bet was to convince them they better get back in their car and get the hell out of my way.

I don't wear a helmet cam, and I really don't want to be in court unless someone is paying me to be there. I haven't asked for your advice, and I don't know or care what you mean by "turn this into a movement." Feel free to turn yourself into some sort of martyr, I'm not applying for the job.
Old 08-22-21, 03:31 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 436 Posts
Really?
They weren't getting out of their vehicles to debate the matter, I just wanted to get out of there without engaging in a fistfight. Since they were blocking my path with their vehicle, my best bet was to convince them they better get back in their car and get the hell out of my way.

I don't wear a helmet cam, and I really don't want to be in court unless someone is paying me to be there. I haven't asked for your advice, and I don't know or care what you mean by "turn this into a movement." Feel free to turn yourself into some sort of martyr, I'm not applying for the job.
Oh, brother.

Can this thread be saved?
Old 08-22-21, 03:33 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Daniel4
Oh, brother.

Can this thread be saved?
Certainly not by you. Don't volunteer such bad advice if you don't want a bad reaction.

Last edited by livedarklions; 08-22-21 at 03:39 AM.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 08-22-21, 05:26 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Quoted: 3637 Post(s)
Liked 5,314 Times in 2,700 Posts
Guys, keep it light. The troll wins if you take the thread seriously.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 08-22-21, 06:57 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 15,288 Times in 7,227 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
What you've got to do is cut the hamstring on the back of his leg, right at the bottom. He'll never play again. Because his weight displacement goes back, all his weight is on his right foot, and he'll push everything off to the right. He'll never come through on anything. He'll quit the game.
The pond would be good for you.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 08-22-21, 08:08 PM
Alligator

Bikes: Too many. I’m constantly selling and buying new bikes.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 24 Posts
Blow them a kiss. They will be too shocked and surprised to remember what they were mad about.
Likes For Alligator:
Old 08-23-21, 02:10 PM
EviLDORK

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, Canondale Synapse, Canondale Touring 1, Salsa Mukluk, Masi Uno, Trek 850

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
Whenever possible, I go off on people like this if I catch up at a light or whatever.
I've learned that going off on people at red lights makes it worse by making the driver more likely to run the red light or exit their vehicle.
Old 08-23-21, 02:52 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by EviLDORK
I've learned that going off on people at red lights makes it worse by making the driver more likely to run the red light or exit their vehicle.

YMMV.
Like I said, I do a pretty good maniac.
Old 08-26-21, 06:24 AM
Alecka

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Don't mess with them. Let them do the talking and after that, simply apologize and smile then, go off the road as fast as you can.
Likes For Alecka:
Old 08-27-21, 12:41 PM
JW Fas
Cop Magnet

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 128 Posts
Flirt with them, ask for their phone number, and suggest to have a rendezvous later. Make it really uncomfortable for them.
Old 08-30-21, 09:42 AM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
Smile and wave....with all fingers, not just the 1.
Likes For c_m_shooter:
Old 08-30-21, 08:27 PM
Cyclaholic
CRIKEY!!!!!!!

Bikes: several

Quoted: 1589 Post(s)
Liked 687 Times in 365 Posts
Is there a jersey for sale anywhere with "honk if I make you horny" emblazoned across the back? ...It might shut up the angry men but I obviously can't wear it because I don't want to incite all the women into honking uncontrollably.
Old 09-05-21, 04:52 PM
epnnf

Bikes: 2016 Masi strada vita due, 2019 Kona Dew Plus

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 55 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
I say man up in the face of this intimidation! Don't let them see you as a victim. As a cyclist, you have strong lungs and can yell match any of those guys. Answer their honks with your bell. Practice riding with one hand so you can safely wield the middle finger. That skill will also be handy if you want to drink on the bike.
seriously?

A yelling match would make both parties look stoopid. And the middle finger salute would invite a fight.
Likes For epnnf: