Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

2000-2002 Bianchi Brava

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-21, 10:09 AM
kkunreut

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2000-2002 Bianchi Brava

Long time reader, new poster.

I've been looking for an entry-level road bike with a bit of a project feel to keep my idle hands working and I found this 2000-2002 Bianchi Brava locally on CL. Unfortunately I can't post images or the CL post, but would be happy to message anyone willing to take a look. Below is some info from the post.

"Bianchi brava - $150
Bianchi brava everything works except for the front derailleur that doesn't shift to the biggest chainring it only goes to first and second perfectly fine tires are gator skin like new rear derailleur shifts smooth 58 cm large frame 3×8 sora components"

I haven't seen the bike in person yet, but the seller claims that everything is functional with the exception of the front derailleur not being able to shift to the big ring. For $120 (what I've talked him down to), is it worth it to see if I can take a stab at fixing the derailleur/polishing this bike up? Is the frame even worth it? I did a bit of research and it seems like this frame isn't anything to write home about, but would love to get much more experienced opinions on this.

Thank you in advance.

-K
Old 03-16-21, 03:20 PM
bargainguy

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 191 Posts
Sure. The 2000 Brava has a Reynolds 520 frame, Sora 3x8 brifter drivetrain. Nothing flashy, but good frame and decent components.

The front shifting issue is probably simple - lack of cable tension or incorrect limit set.

Could also be gummed up front shifter from lack of use. Easiest way to tell is to pull a handful of front shift cable away from the frame and see if it shifts into the big ring this way if the shifter won't. Gummed up shifters can be flushed with a solvent and then lubed. I like CRC Power Lube in the red can to perform both functions.
Old 03-16-21, 03:44 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 1,760 Times in 634 Posts
Originally Posted by bargainguy
Sure. The 2000 Brava has a Reynolds 520 frame, Sora 3x8 brifter drivetrain. Nothing flashy, but good frame and decent components.

The front shifting issue is probably simple - lack of cable tension or incorrect limit set.

Could also be gummed up front shifter from lack of use. Easiest way to tell is to pull a handful of front shift cable away from the frame and see if it shifts into the big ring this way if the shifter won't. Gummed up shifters can be flushed with a solvent and then lubed. I like CRC Power Lube in the red can to perform both functions.
I would agree that a good flush cleaning and adjustment will likely clear up the shift issues about half the 20-30 something year old Shimano triggers and Brifter's seem to have issues getting into the big ring and bigger cogs on the rear. Yet ounce cleaned up adjusted setup right and used a bit 90% seem to work just fine. I will admit though the 2000 or so Sora's are about the worst of Shimano's 8/9 speed trigger brifter stuff on the several bikes I have gotten over the years or rebuilt that had Sora's changed them for something else.
Old 03-16-21, 06:23 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3089 Post(s)
Liked 6,587 Times in 3,777 Posts
Pic Assist - https://bikeforums.net/g/picture/20860517

Old 03-16-21, 06:28 PM
kkunreut

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the pic assist! Ended up grabbing it. Was initially told it was sold but then picked it up in the DFW area for $120. Probably a slight overpay but it's worth more to me as a project and I don't mind a bit of an overpay.

Took it on a short ride and it's operating smoothly as a 2x8. When using the front shifter, the front derailleur throws all the way to the big ring and if I hold the shifter in that position it would stay, but as soon as I release the shifter the front derailleur moves back over the 2nd ring and shifts the chain to it.

I plan on taking it to my LBS on Thursday to have them take a look at it, but am open to suggestions to see if I can fix the shifting issue now while I wait for them to open. Will post vids/pics when I hit 10 posts, unfortunately not quite there yet.
Old 01-07-22, 03:01 PM
fsmcpa

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can someone please tell me what year is a Bianchi Brava with serial number H9A2 2402

Thank You
Old 01-07-22, 05:03 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,923 Times in 1,491 Posts
Originally Posted by fsmcpa
Can someone please tell me what year is a Bianchi Brava with serial number H9A2 2402

Thank You
welcome to the forums. Can you tell us a bit more about it? What color is it? What brand and model of components are on it? Is there something that shows the tubing type?

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 01-07-22, 06:02 PM
fsmcpa

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
welcome to the forums. Can you tell us a bit more about it? What color is it? What brand and model of components are on it? Is there something that shows the tubing type?
Hi Bianchigirll,
Thank you for your quick reply. I am new at this and my knowledge is very limited.
The bike is blue, it has a Shimano RSX,, double butted lite steel, chrome moly fork.
I am reading this info from the stickers on the bike and the components..
I cannot upload pictures as I need 10 posts.

Thank You for your help.
Old 01-07-22, 07:09 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

I think you a Connie Blue 1999 Brava.

https://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/...20&model=Brava

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 01-08-22, 03:27 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
I think you a Connie Blue 1999 Brava.

https://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/...20&model=Brava
Originally Posted by fsmcpa
Hi Bianchigirll,
Thank you for your quick reply. I am new at this and my knowledge is very limited.
The bike is blue, it has a Shimano RSX,, double butted lite steel, chrome moly fork.
I am reading this info from the stickers on the bike and the components..
I cannot upload pictures as I need 10 posts.

Thank You for your help.
Goid Morning

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 01-08-22, 08:49 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 1,760 Times in 634 Posts
Originally Posted by kkunreut
Thanks for the pic assist! Ended up grabbing it. Was initially told it was sold but then picked it up in the DFW area for $120. Probably a slight overpay but it's worth more to me as a project and I don't mind a bit of an overpay.

Took it on a short ride and it's operating smoothly as a 2x8. When using the front shifter, the front derailleur throws all the way to the big ring and if I hold the shifter in that position it would stay, but as soon as I release the shifter the front derailleur moves back over the 2nd ring and shifts the chain to it.

I plan on taking it to my LBS on Thursday to have them take a look at it, but am open to suggestions to see if I can fix the shifting issue now while I wait for them to open. Will post vids/pics when I hit 10 posts, unfortunately not quite there yet.
This reads like a l slightly loose worn cable good chance a couple of turns of the quick adjuster on the lever may help fix the problem.

Last edited by zukahn1; 01-19-22 at 02:22 AM.
Likes For zukahn1: