Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Weird...

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-22, 07:17 PM
kayakindude

Bikes: 1987 Cannondale SR600/BioPace, 1991 Cannondale Road Tandem,1994 Giant Iguana MB, 2009 Airnimal Chameleon, 2016 Dahon Vybe C7A

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 63 Posts
Weird...

On a group ride with our tandem this morning and another cyclist says "nice hub", then mentions he had originated the front hub motor and his idea has been stolen many times over. A few miles later he is near us again and says nice to have 250 watts. I tell him it's not currently on and we use it to help with climbing. The group begins a climb and now he is talking to another rider about how we are cheating.

My wife wants to scream at him and I beg her to stay calm. She (we) work our butts off on these long rides and I don't understand why anyone else would care how we ride and what tools we use.

Anyone else run across this kind of behavior? If so how would you handle. This was not a race, just a Sunday ride incorporating all skill levels and bike types.
Old 05-29-22, 07:39 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 554 Posts
e bike hate is a real thing. we have a mid drive and always use so we can go faster but we are still getting exercise. the bike has a built in watt meter and measures my HR and I tend to burn 1000 calories on a 40 mile ride or more. I work even harder on my e bike when I commute. but e bikes let me ride upto 250 miles. week at least 200 miles a week most of the time.
Likes For fooferdoggie:
Old 05-29-22, 08:19 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 814 Times in 615 Posts
I'd tell the individual in a polite manner that you didn't know that bicycling was a monarchy and that he was king.
Likes For 2old:
Old 05-29-22, 09:57 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
I've had that happen and I now respond "oh, who am I cheating?" If they reply I am cheating myself, I tell that is between me and myself, lol. That's really the only answer they can give and it almost always shuts them up. If they suggest I am cheating other riders, I just laugh and say "ok you win, now go away".
Likes For linberl:
Old 05-29-22, 10:05 PM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked 616 Times in 344 Posts
This guy actually said: All those lazy slobs on ebikes act like they're really riding, they always get in my way when I try to pass on my motorcycle
Likes For MarcusT:
Old 05-30-22, 09:09 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 842 Times in 587 Posts
Originally Posted by MarcusT
This guy actually said: All those lazy slobs on ebikes act like they're really riding, they always get in my way when I try to pass on my motorcycle
Someone needs a bit of an attitude "adjustment",...