Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Old 06-05-22, 10:04 AM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 101 Posts
Lost my sense of smell. Came back the next day, to my shock and amazement.

Lungs feel really congested, gurgly in the morning, but as soon as I sort of cough it out I'm good. I called out today, probably a 50-50 call (like if I had to go in I probably could have) but it took me a few hours this morning to get going. I'll be going to work tomorrow, as long as things stay as is.

Road an hour on the trainer last night, max power 130w (yes, one hundred thirty), and I definitely broke a sweat during the ride. Also as soon as I do anything I'm out of breath and tired. But not as bad as last weekend.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 06-06-22, 10:34 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
Asking here as I don't care for some of the peanut gallery chat.

I want to try out a gravel event. I'm not saying race, but event, but realize folks do go out to get done as quick as they can.

Anyway, in general I notice the gravel scene seems to value duration over intensity in these events. Like, 100mi+ events with 6, 7, 8+ hour ride times. If there are events with a "short" distance of say 30 or 50mi, is the expectation that the novice riders do that one and you shouldn't show up to that shorter distance and hammer the crap out of it? I just don't want to be "that guy" coming from time trial and cyclocross acting all dumb.

I just don't have time for training or attending 8 hour rides. But I feel it would be fun if I could jump into a 35 to 50mi event. I routinely train gravel almost out my back door for 2 to 3 hour rides. I'm literally just not interested in riding for 6 or 8+ hours for an event.
Old 06-06-22, 11:06 AM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 336 Posts
do the length/duration you want, there's nothing that only top guys do the longest distance or whatever. you have to do what makes it fun. I've done 150miles, it stops being fun after 100miles. If I were to enter an event again I might keep it to 75miles
Likes For hubcyclist:
Old 06-06-22, 11:59 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Originally Posted by hubcyclist
do the length/duration you want, there's nothing that only top guys do the longest distance or whatever. you have to do what makes it fun. I've done 150miles, it stops being fun after 100miles. If I were to enter an event again I might keep it to 75miles
I have no delusions about a podium even at a local yokel event as folks do it as their main hobby like I do TT. So a finish and a beer and fun would be the goals. The distance is just what my rear end could tolerate.

Just would be nice to have an event excuse for that TT engine. I can't think of much better than a less technical gravel event where I just sit at sweetspot for like 2 hours or tempo for 3 hours.
Old 06-06-22, 06:06 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4196 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,780 Posts
Kids, man. Last year, my daughter was getting near the point where I could see her outgrowing her 24" bike soon, so I bought her a 49x51 cm frameset to build her up her first road bike. Bought it a bit big for her so she could grow into it a bit. Then, health stuff got in the way (got hit by a car, had to get some bone tumors removed from my leg, etc.), and I was like, "oh well, it's big for her no rush." Over the year she shot up and is now 5'5 or 5'6 (11 years old, starting middle school this year), and I was starting to build the bike up, but though, "hmm, better check it's not too small before I put the time in to build it up." And wouldn't you know it, it's already too small. Looks like I should be looking in the 54 cm range for a frame. Something cheap (and used) because she's not really into riding, but I was hoping something light and fast that made a lot less effort than her front suspension 24" mtb would at least encourage her a little bit when we go for family rides as it wouldn't be such a boat anchor.
Likes For himespau:
Old 06-07-22, 09:04 PM
carpediemracing 

Originally Posted by himespau
Kids, man. ... Over the year she shot up and is now 5'5 or 5'6 (11 years old,
holy tall daughter! My son is 10 and... I don't know how tall he is but not 5 feet yet. finishing 4th grade. He did grow 2.5 inches last year. 50th percentile in height. I think I'll check tomorrow, see where he's at.

I think he's ridden a bike maybe 1 hour in his life. He is totally not into it. However, he did ask me if we could go to the kart place and if he could drive karts. I'd be all for this. hahaha!
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Likes For carpediemracing:
Old 06-07-22, 09:33 PM
carpediemracing 

Other than some lingering fatigue, and not being able to exert myself hard, I'm pretty much over COVID. Hopefully I'm good now. As soon as I can I'll get the second booster. I assume it's still useful.
Old 06-08-22, 12:22 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Any fans or not fans of Hunt wheels? Looking at their wide and 40'ish mm deep disc wheelset for the cross bike.

Off season one wheelset with gravel tire, other wheelset with road tire. In-season for cross one set with cross race tires, other with gravel tire.

I don't "need" it as the Gravelkings on the bike now are plenty fast for road use. It's just the "in season" cyclocross use would be nice to be able to swap wheelsets between training gravel rides and hot laps or races on the other.

I'd probably put the cross race tires on the Giant SLR 1 wheelset the bike came with so they don't balloon too much past their intended tread use case.

I was thinking the 23mm internal Hunts at like 40mm deep. It's like $1k for that version versus $1300 for the superwide version.

I feel $1k for carbon centerlock disc in a modern width tubeless wheelset from a "name" brand is a good deal.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 06-08-22, 02:23 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2503 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,569 Posts
I have the Hunt "Race XC Wide" on my MTB and they have been great. I've only had them for about a year, but no issues so far, very easy to setup tubeless. 24 mm internal.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 06-09-22, 08:46 AM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 287 Times in 160 Posts
Originally Posted by carpediemracing
Other than some lingering fatigue, and not being able to exert myself hard, I'm pretty much over COVID. Hopefully I'm good now. As soon as I can I'll get the second booster. I assume it's still useful.
Talk to your doctor about when to get it. If you've just had covid and you get it too soon, I'm pretty sure the immune reaction might yeet you. Besides, you likely have immunity for some time since you just got a natural booster (unfortunately).

Glad you're feeling better.

Edit: natural immunity looks to be in flux right now given shifting variants. Better than nothing but I don't think it's as good as we'd hoped. I'm out of the loop on this stuff though.

Last edited by ridethecliche; 06-13-22 at 01:30 PM.
Likes For ridethecliche:
Old 06-09-22, 01:30 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Random, for the cross bike I'd rather not blow money for riding on vacation but want to be more comfy. There's a couple wicked steep sections near the rental house on the gravel.

It's 36t and 10-33 right now. I see SRAM has different parallelogram RD's for the 10-33 max versus 10-36 max, so the 10-36 cassette seems out.

I cannot find a smaller than 36t 1x front ring. Which rubs me as a bit odd. Locally I do NOT need 2x. So do not need to blow money on a FD, and set of 2x rings.

I've hunter Garbaruk and everywhere. Anyone sell the 4x107 SRAM in a 1x front ring smaller than 36t?
Old 06-09-22, 08:34 PM
carpediemracing 

Originally Posted by ridethecliche
Talk to your doctor about when to get it. If you've just had covid and you get it too soon, I'm pretty sure the immune reaction might yeet you. Besides, you likely have immunity for some time since you just got a natural booster (unfortunately).

Glad you're feeling better.
Thanks for the info.

Today I had a fatigue episode. Sort of hid behind one of the pods at work and almost passed out. 30 minutes later I started feeling normal again. A friend of mine (SOC) expressed some concern to the Missus because he knows I'm generally pretty hardy (we raced together for many years and rode as long as 110 miles together), and for him to hear what the Missus said about how I was absolutely flattened by Covid stunned him.
Old 06-12-22, 10:37 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Re Covid, we’ve had a case in my section at work where the person had meetings with everyone in the section in their office the day before they started showing symptoms. As it turned out, I had taken a personal day on Monday, and WFH on Tuesday and Wednesday. When I came in to the office on Thursday morning, I was told to go home because I was the only one not exposed. We have relatives coming in to town this week for the kids’ graduation, so if I catch CV my wife will kill me if the virus doesn’t.
Old 06-12-22, 01:01 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by carpediemracing
You don't need more vaccines if you already had actual covid and multiple shots.

Wait for a new vaccine formulation or a significant virus mutation.
Old 06-13-22, 08:05 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

I'm not all too happy with our race team lately. We've both a Facebook group and a Slack message group. Ride plans go in the Slack.

I just don't know if 99% of the time folks just want to ride alone or have pairs of folks they ride with and don't post up, but it just never feels like I'm even on it.

I said hi to a teammate at TT regionals and will likely see nobody again until cross practice/race season. At the duathlon I won, we had a guy in the triathlon. I said hi before race start and hung around for the results and never saw the person again.

I frequently see some folks riding with other local groups on weeknights or weekends that never post up in the Slack. I guess I don't see the point if nobody ever actually sees anyone?

Three weekends in a row I post up about riding either road or gravel on a weekend morning, a very typical time, open ended asking if anyone from the team is attending any rides. Crickets.

Is this typical or a bit disjointed?
Old 06-13-22, 08:56 AM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
burnthesheep

My team is more lax no plans etc, just email communication, but no one talks. In all my 60+ races I've had a teammate 5-6 times, and there really wasn't any teamwork, we just kind of did our own thing. I see them on group rides, but really the team has disintegrated, and I'm the only one that races road. I don't think endurance athletes are big with social media, except insta of course.

Next season, I'm on the fence about riding solo or joining a team. Masters around here have a few teams. S2C is the only local one, but they're a giant zerg, and I'd rather not. Some races they're half the field. I'd rather race with 4-5 guys. Having never stepped on the top podium, I'm only willing to work for someone if the race doesn't fit my strengths (which here is 90% of them).
Likes For furiousferret:
Old 06-13-22, 02:56 PM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
Finally got over COVID enough that I don't have to down cough syrup multiple times a day, so I've got that going for me, which is nice.

But last night, I had to sprint through the airport to try to catch a plane that would get me close to home after my first two flights were cancelled, and man, that crushed me. My breathing sucked. My lungs hurt. I was gasping like someone who never worked out.
Old 06-13-22, 03:37 PM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 10060 Post(s)
Liked 5,041 Times in 2,152 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
Finally got over COVID enough that I don't have to down cough syrup multiple times a day, so I've got that going for me, which is nice.

But last night, I had to sprint through the airport to try to catch a plane that would get me close to home after my first two flights were cancelled, and man, that crushed me. My breathing sucked. My lungs hurt. I was gasping like someone who never worked out.
Tested positive yesterday, thank god I was home. My biggest fear was being stuck on an overnight somewhere for 10 days. The first day was hell, this morning I felt pretty awful, but already I feel way way better. The head ache this morning was the worst part so far. Currently the only thing I have, I feel warm all the time, but do not have a fever.
Old 06-16-22, 07:34 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Originally Posted by furiousferret
burnthesheep

My team is more lax no plans etc, just email communication, but no one talks. In all my 60+ races I've had a teammate 5-6 times, and there really wasn't any teamwork, we just kind of did our own thing. I see them on group rides, but really the team has disintegrated, and I'm the only one that races road. I don't think endurance athletes are big with social media, except insta of course.

Next season, I'm on the fence about riding solo or joining a team. Masters around here have a few teams. S2C is the only local one, but they're a giant zerg, and I'd rather not. Some races they're half the field. I'd rather race with 4-5 guys. Having never stepped on the top podium, I'm only willing to work for someone if the race doesn't fit my strengths (which here is 90% of them).
Yeah, the other issue is the road group ride I've mentioned many times is a long drive out of town for me. Then nobody stays after to chill for a bit. So I've driven 40min each way to hammer for 90min then go home.

We have folks in town also on the team but every single time I proposed adding a group ride or team ride in town, the team owner/manager guy didn't seem to like it.

Reading an autobio and hearing chatter from the UK, it seems their club/trace team scene is more social in nature than purely a convenience for executing races.

I'll stick it out through cross season then see how it goes.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 06-16-22, 09:28 AM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Enthalpic
You don't need more vaccines if you already had actual covid and multiple shots.

Wait for a new vaccine formulation or a significant virus mutation.
I've had four shots (Moderna) and had what was probably Delta last August, and still got Covid again a couple of weeks ago. The first time was like a really bad flu and I was in bed for a week and a half, pretty much crushed. The last time it was like a bad head cold - I filled a Walmart bag with used tissues - and I felt bad enough to stay in bed for a couple of days, but then it cleared up and left me tired for a few more days and that was it. I guess I should be maxed out on immunity now.

Demain, on roule!
Likes For revchuck:
Old 06-17-22, 05:56 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
BTS - There are lots of teams in the area that have social angles. There are also lots of rides in the area that are not owned by teams that have social gatherings afterward. I know some of them might be farther out for you, but they are there.
Likes For topflightpro:
Old 06-20-22, 06:23 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Random tech question, with the factory chain catcher thing installed would a SRAM inner ring work fine not being a 1x dedicated ring? I know folks shouldn't do that without a cage/keeper.

Just looking at a few grades on the dirt road by the mountain cabin, the 36/33 might be a bit rough. But a 30t inner ring would get me to easier than 1:1. At low cost. With no interest bombing anything fast needing the higher speed gearing.

Worth a shot?
Old 06-23-22, 06:04 AM
carpediemracing 

Originally Posted by burnthesheep
Random tech question, with the factory chain catcher thing installed would a SRAM inner ring work fine not being a 1x dedicated ring? I know folks shouldn't do that without a cage/keeper.

Just looking at a few grades on the dirt road by the mountain cabin, the 36/33 might be a bit rough. But a 30t inner ring would get me to easier than 1:1. At low cost. With no interest bombing anything fast needing the higher speed gearing.

Worth a shot?
Might bounce off if you're on rough surfaces going fast (like coasting back down).
Old 06-23-22, 06:06 AM
carpediemracing 

Changing jobs. Last day July 2, first day next job July 11. Financial world so M-F, out at 5, will free up time for family and cycling and other stuff. Local, in town, for a firm that the Missus has interacted with for 8+ years, so she has an idea of what it's like to work with them.
Old 06-23-22, 06:17 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Junior gear restriction gone. UCI update to TT rule to make the tall folk exemptions more fair, IMO. No real change for avg height folks. Also a bit of "relief" they chose to define the extension/pad thing so that modern super extensions wouldn't become outlawed due to the older language if they had chosen to interpret it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.