Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Folding/removable pedals?

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Old 06-13-22, 10:51 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5877 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 2,066 Posts

I picked up my first folding bike recently, a Bike Friday New World Tourist, and I'd like either folding or easily removable pedals for it. I was hoping to get some advice as to what works (and what doesn't) and where to buy since they're not that readily available. I happen to be a fan of MKS pedals but I can be talked into buying something else. Also I'm not looking for clipless since I want to be able to run any shoe with the pedals. This is what I see so far:

(1) MKS FD 7. Easy to find in a lot of mail order places and cheaper than some other options. Not the best platform for pedaling though.

https://www.amazon.com/Mks-Fd-7-Fold...a-440745308119

(2) MKS Allways, "Ezy superior/rinko." Rene Hearse has them but I don't see them elsewhere (maybe a eBay vendor has them).

https://www.renehersecycles.com/shop...erior-rinko-2/

(3) MKS Lambda Ezy superior. Same mechanism but different platform than the allways. I see them on eBay and vendors out of the US as well.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/202418950133

Any preferences on these? Should I look at a different make of pedal? Where is a good place to buy them? I do not a flat pedal and I'm leaning towards the bmx style (Allways/Lambda) as I use that style on my MTB and road bikes and like them.
Old 06-13-22, 02:40 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, 1982 Stumpjumper, Alex Moulton AM, 2010 Dawes Briercliffe, 2017 Dahon Curl i8, 2021 Motobecane Turino 1x12

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1645 Post(s)
Liked 1,785 Times in 1,041 Posts
If you go removable instead of folding, get a holder that retains the pedal to the bike when it's uncoupled from the crank arm.

Going MKS, go with the EZY Superior rather than the Ezy.

I'm seeing some removable RockBros pedals on eBay. Now you know as much about those as I do.

Perhaps Wellgo B257 Quick Release II?

The Brompton folding pedals are kinda cool, 'cause they fold up a lot tighter than most other folding pedals. The right one is rare and pricey. They're better with an attached Bromfoot. They don't fit on most modern cranks, though.
Likes For tcs:
Old 06-13-22, 03:29 PM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 116 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
The Brompton folding pedals are kinda cool, 'cause they fold up a lot tighter than most other folding pedals. The right one is rare and pricey. They're better with an attached Bromfoot. They don't fit on most modern cranks, though.
I had no problem putting them on my XootrSwift.
Old 06-13-22, 08:22 PM
mlau

Bikes: Xootr Swift

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 44 Posts
Interestingly, I have three of those pedals...the folding one, the Brompton one, and the removable one.

The FD7 folding one works okay. I like it better than the Brompton one. it's cheaper. a small nub sticks out, instead of essentially a flat chunk of metal.

For your bike, the EZY superior is worth the extra price. I have it on my xootr Swift and never really remember it's removable.....it just works beautifully.

edit: I see a few options available on Amazon

Last edited by mlau; 06-13-22 at 08:26 PM.
Old 06-13-22, 09:09 PM
mirfi

Bikes: Vilano Urbana, DownTube FS9, Montaque paratrooper, Nano mini-velo, Motobecane CX, Raleigh 20, MIFA folder, ROG Pony, Iverson Grand Touring folder, Exclusiv German folder

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 191 Times in 119 Posts
Folding and removable.

I am sure I've had every manufacturer of inexpensive (<$20) folding pedals on my folders/smallwheel over the last 15 years. I weigh 250+ so I put a lot of strain on them. I consider them disposable and of inconsistent quality, but all folder rides are under 10 miles.

On the touring/road bike I've using the removable Lixada, they work well and it makes it easier to fit bike in back seat of Corolla. Trusted them for the 40 mile NYC 5boro ride. I endorse.

https://www.amazon.com/Lixada-Mounta...24900733&psc=1
Likes For mirfi:
Old 06-19-22, 05:12 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
I bought my MKS Ezy pedals over a decade ago, I have no clue what model they are. At that time they did not make a SPD pedal that was compatable with Shimano cleats so I bought a pedal I could use with toe clips, but you certainly could skip the toe clips.

The toe clips and straps are generic, not MKS.

I am happy with them, but I should point out that my folder does not get a lot of miles on it so I can't talk about high mileage durability.
Old 06-19-22, 08:29 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 978 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
I bought my MKS Ezy pedals over a decade ago, I have no clue what model they are.

I am happy with them, but I should point out that my folder does not get a lot of miles on it so I can't talk about high mileage durability.
Those are "AR-2" as can be seen on the rear of the pedal. I have a couple pairs of these, one pair with over 15,000 miles on them. I ride in all kinds of weather (in Chicago) and my experience is that these pedals require a fair amount of lubrication service because the seals on the in-board bearings are not very good. Bearing service is straightforward, but I found that a good front mudflap goes a long way toward minimizing the need for service.
I use "strapless" toeclips, which do a nice job of ensuring a proper foot position and no slipping when the pedals are wet. The toe clip hangs down, which makes the pedal easy to slide into. Without straps, they are very easy to get out of.
Old 06-23-22, 01:42 AM
kwantani

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 21 Posts

Likes For kwantani: