Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Nishiki International 80's Road Bike

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-18, 10:33 PM
funbiking

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nishiki International 80's Road Bike

Apparently can't post pictures or URL's, so I guess just look up nishiki international on the SF bay area craigslist page. It's being offered for $200 and the seller claims its from the 80's. Condition seems pretty good. Thoughts?
Old 10-12-18, 10:59 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26389 Post(s)
Liked 10,365 Times in 7,197 Posts
Originally Posted by funbiking
Apparently can't post pictures or URL's, so I guess just look up nishiki international on the SF bay area craigslist page. It's being offered for $200 and the seller claims its from the 80's. Condition seems pretty good. Thoughts?
...solid bike that started out as an introductory level touring geometry bike and gradually morphed over the years into more of a sport touring geometry, finally ending up as a more or less road racing style frame. Any bike in good condition cosmetically and mechanically in San Francisco is probably worth 200 bucks. So it depends on your requirements and preferences in a bicycle. Every one I've seen was a pretty good quality package of frame and components, though.
Old 10-14-18, 08:26 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Based on the Cyclone M.II derailleurs with top mount shift levers and Sugino GS crankest with drilled chainrings, it should be a circa 1983-1984 model, while the mono-tone paint would indicate 1983. This was a nice,f airly light lower mid-range model with a CrMo double butted main triangle and aluminum rims Original MSRP was approximately $350.

Provided it was fully overhauled and ride to ride, I would have no qualms about the price. However, there is a lot of dirt around the bottom bracket shell and the crank extractor hole is filled with dirt. This suggests the bicycle has been ridden in very dirty conditions since its last overhaul and the bearing condition is suspect. It almost certainly needs an overhaul and may need new bearings and races. This can add quite a bit to the cost, especially if you can't do the work yourself.

Selective photo assist...

Likes For T-Mar:
Old 10-17-18, 09:54 PM
capnjonny 

Bikes: Miyata 610(66cm), GT Vantara Hybrid (64cm), Nishiki International (64cm), Peugeot rat rod (62 cm), Trek 800 Burning Man helicopter bike, Bob Jackson frame (to be restored?) plus a never ending stream of neglected waifs from the Bike exchange.

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 229 Posts
For what it's worth I have an early 80's Nishiki international and it is one of my favorite bikes. Yours has some upgrades . Ie the Cyclone derailleurs and drilled chain rings. Mine has been modified with a triple chainring (48-36-24 teeth and either a 14-24 or 14-28 tooth Shimano hyperglide freewheel . I have also changed out the bars to 2" riser bars with Shimano friction thumbies and mtb brake levers. I really like the upright riding position. My 70 yr old neck and back don't get along with drop bars anymore.
This is not the lightest bike in my stable but for what I use it for - daily 6 mile ride to and from the YMCA it is just about perfect.
Old 10-18-18, 05:15 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by capnjonny
...Yours has some upgrades . Ie the Cyclone derailleurs and drilled chain rings...
No, they were OEM during this period.
Old 10-20-18, 01:13 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 937 Posts
Several, and some quite different from the others, Nishiki Internationals have come my way, over the years. Not all Nishiki Internationals are of similar quality. I should have hung on to the black one with the cantilevered brakes...

Old 06-04-22, 09:39 PM
dhl604

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
randyjawa Would you happen to know some more details about that black one with the cantilever brakes? I've just looked at a Nishiki International for sale in my area, and yours is the only one with the same lettering for the "International" decal.
Old 06-05-22, 08:42 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by dhl604
randyjawa Would you happen to know some more details about that black one with the cantilever brakes? I've just looked at a Nishiki International for sale in my area, and yours is the only one with the same lettering for the "International" decal.
Welcome to the forums. Norco transitoned the Canadian market International to a grand touring style model in the mid-1980s. Randy's appears to be circa 1985-1986, with some replacement parts. During this arera, they typically used Tange Infinity tubing and would be considered a lower mid-range model.
Old 06-06-22, 04:15 PM
garryg

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 141 Posts
i have had lots of bikes pass through my hands and the Nishiki International is one i should have kept,just felt so right.
Old 06-06-22, 05:08 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 937 Posts
Originally Posted by dhl604
Welcome to the Bike Forums, one of my favorite web resources.

I am old with a shot memory, I think, I can't remember. What I do recall that the ride quality was very good, the bike weighed about 24 pounds and it stopped just great. Other than that, any other details elude me. If the one you are looking at has the canti brakes and the seller wants $200.00, shut off the computer and go get the bike. That said, make sure it is a good fit for you. My very general rule of thumb fit is to straddle the bike and then gauge the distance between the top tube and snug to your crotch. A little too big is better than a little too small. I say that last bit because I do not know you or what your riding skill level is. Too big can allow a few options for a decent fit. Too small, forget about it in my opinion. Good luck.
Old 06-09-22, 09:25 AM
rbrech58

Bikes: Nishiki Comp II ('79), BMC UC01 ('12), LeMond Prolog ('21)

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Nice!

I think I have the same model - though I am not sure it is am "International". Bought mine new in summer 1981, with my first pay check after graduating university (actually it took my first 2 paychecks - and cost me $1100 if my memory serves me). To my eye its lovely bike and is still great to ride, though as I prefer a more upright geometry now that I have aged, I'm new to the forum and will post pics if/when permitted. The code on the bottom bracket is KI 20447. Can anyone tell me more? Other features of my mostly original bike - 10 speed with SunTour Cyclone derailleurs, down tube Suntour shifters, Sugino Super mighty crank, Dia Compe brakes...
Old 06-09-22, 09:55 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26389 Post(s)
Liked 10,365 Times in 7,197 Posts
Nishiki bikes are relatively complicated to ID from the serial numbers, because there were a variety of contract makers for the brand over the years.
If you look in this thread, you might be able to tease it out: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ber-guide.html

From what I remember, maybe a Katakura frame ? I don't think they put Super Mighty cranks on Internationals, so probably something a little racier.

Last edited by 3alarmer; 06-09-22 at 09:58 AM.
Old 06-09-22, 02:20 PM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by rbrech58
I think I have the same model - though I am not sure it is am "International". Bought mine new in summer 1981, with my first pay check after graduating university (actually it took my first 2 paychecks - and cost me $1100 if my memory serves me). To my eye its lovely bike and is still great to ride, though as I prefer a more upright geometry now that I have aged, I'm new to the forum and will post pics if/when permitted. The code on the bottom bracket is KI 20447. Can anyone tell me more? Other features of my mostly original bike - 10 speed with SunTour Cyclone derailleurs, down tube Suntour shifters, Sugino Super mighty crank, Dia Compe brakes...
Originally Posted by 3alramer
Nishiki bikes are relatively complicated to ID from the serial numbers, because there were a variety of contract makers for the brand over the years.
If you look in this thread, you might be able to tease it out: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ber-guide.html

From what I remember, maybe a Katakura frame ? I don't think they put Super Mighty cranks on Internationals, so probably something a little racier.
That should be a 1979 Kawamura serial number, as it would indicate 1972 or 1982 by the Katakura format. 1972 would be too early for a Cyclone derailleur and Katakura was no longer involved with Nishiki manufacture by 1982. A 1979 serial number could indicate a 1979 or 1980 model. The component mix is typical of the Nishiki Comp/Comp II variants of this era, though that price sounds high.
Old 06-09-22, 02:37 PM
rbrech58

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Many thanks T-Mar. With help of this list and closer inspection of a very subtle label on the bike, I have identified it as a Comp II. From the KI 20447 code - I denote that as a Kawanura build in 1981. But it does not completely match up with the '81 catalogue I found posted on Flickr. It's got Suntour Cyclone derailleurs, Sugino mighty crank, Dia-Compe side pull brakes with quick release, tire guards, drilled levers and gum hoods. The catalog says the '81 Comp 11 has Grand Compe side pull brakes. It squares with the catalog other than that discrepancy. The bike is a dark blue with brown lettering - a nice combination with my brown brooks saddle. I could be wrong about the price - but I know it took me two paychecks to secure the amount I needed on my meagre salary.
Old 06-09-22, 02:50 PM
rbrech58

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
now i get it - a 1979 for the letter I. Thanks again!
Old 06-09-22, 03:15 PM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by rbrech58
Many thanks T-Mar. With help of this list and closer inspection of a very subtle label on the bike, I have identified it as a Comp II. From the KI 20447 code - I denote that as a Kawanura build in 1981. But it does not completely match up with the '81 catalogue I found posted on Flickr. It's got Suntour Cyclone derailleurs, Sugino mighty crank, Dia-Compe side pull brakes with quick release, tire guards, drilled levers and gum hoods. The catalog says the '81 Comp 11 has Grand Compe side pull brakes. It squares with the catalog other than that discrepancy. The bike is a dark blue with brown lettering - a nice combination with my brown brooks saddle. I could be wrong about the price - but I know it took me two paychecks to secure the amount I needed on my meagre salary.
Gran Compe was simply a series of higher end Dia-Compe brakes. You may have Gran Compe. Photos would help determine what you have. Ignore the forum warning about a 10 post requirement to post photos, They will upload to a gallery album under your user name, where members can view them.

The difference between the Comp and Comp II appears to have been primarily frame fittings. The Comp used brake cable clips and clamp style shift levers, while the Comp II had brazed-on brake cable tunnels and brazed-on shift lever bosses. If it's a Comp II, then I believe it's a 1980 model manufactured in late 1979.

I've never seen brown lettering. I suspect it's their typical matt gold, which has weathered/discoloured.
Old 06-30-22, 04:39 PM
Oldsteeler

Bikes: Nishiki / Merckx / Belgium

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
the examples and images for the different Nishiki models shown above reflect the models that have been imported and sold in the USA.
Another different International model was imported and sold in Europe, in Germany or the Netherlands, in the 1980s.
Here two pictures of the European Nishiki International from 1985.

Edit: both pictures will be uploaded later

International EU Model 1985

Last edited by Oldsteeler; 06-30-22 at 04:43 PM.
Old 07-02-22, 07:02 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by Oldsteeler
the examples and images for the different Nishiki models shown above reflect the models that have been imported and sold in the USA....
Actually, several of those "above models" are Canadian market models, which often differed substantially from those offered in the USA market. Nishiki models were independently spec'd by the importers for the various markets, which accounts for the variation. In Canada, the importers were originally Shields and later Norco. The 3rd bicycle shown in Randy's post is a late 1970s Shields Nishiki while the others are early to mid-1980s Norco designed Nishiki.
Old 07-02-22, 07:20 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by Oldsteeler
...Another different International model was imported and sold in Europe, in Germany or the Netherlands, in the 1980s.
Here two pictures of the European Nishiki International from 1985.

Edit: both pictures will be uploaded later

Those bicycles are Nishiki International LD, with the LD standing for Large Diameter (tubing). The tubes are joined to internal lugs using both internal brazing and external heliarc welding for extra strength. They may have been manufactured in 1985 but they were introduced for the 1986 model year. The Intrenational LD was also marketed in the USA. They are not unique to the European market, though there may have been some minor variation in some of the components. Both bicycles show evidence of later rebuilds, with the blue sample having been substantially modified.

Last edited by T-Mar; 07-02-22 at 07:36 AM.