Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northern California
Reload this Page >

Cycle of Hope (Habitat for Humanity)

Search
Notices
Northern California Northern California

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-19, 09:28 AM
SCTinkering

Bikes: 2020 T-Lab X-3 w/GRX Di2, 2018 Trek FX-5S with GRX/Xt 1x drive train

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 25 Posts

Anyone else going to subject themselves to the punishment that is a Century/Metric Century on the SF Peninsula?

Cycle of Hope Courses

Century 100 Miles with 9,800 feet of climbing
Metric 62 miles with 5,600 feet of climbing.

All for a good cause.
Old 10-16-19, 11:26 AM
sanmateoclimber

Liked 36 Times in 26 Posts
+1 for posting this, I'm looking to dip my toe into longer organized rides in the area and I wasn't aware of it. The timing doesn't work for me this year, but definitely a good one for me to consider next year. The metric is well matched to my current ability, and the century is well matched to what I'd like to think I'll be ready for a year from now. Happy trails!
Old 10-20-19, 09:44 PM
SCTinkering

They've changed the metric century route two maybe three times since I signed up in July. It's just gotten stupid. 42 miles into the ride after already putting in about 5k of climbing and at the bottom of a long decent, some genius decided that going up Toll Gate Road in Saratoga was a good idea. Sure it's only about 3/4 of a mile maybe a bit less but the grade is between 12-19%. So sure. that shouldn't be a problem for anyone. There's plenty more dumb and flat out unsafe decisions with the route. So much so that I'm thinking of matching the donation for the ride, showing up day of and telling them face to face that they picked a really bad route and the risks aren't acceptable, then just going home. You can have a long route with climbing on the SF peninsula that doesn't include flat out stupidity.
Old 11-03-19, 08:52 PM
SCTinkering

After riding the route and getting feedback from the century riders, I'd say that this is one of those rides to skip unless they drastically change the route.
Likes For SCTinkering:
Old 11-04-19, 08:22 PM
marmac

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
i am glad to support a charity ride but the route changes up to almost the day of the event was crazy. when i register for a ride, i expect the posted route when i register to be THE route the ride will follow.. i did the super easy 12 mile because i was riding with my grandson.. however, biking by myself, i would ride a metric. but not on their ride. routing any climb up 84 is really dangerous. a great descent but for climbing up to skyline.. i would pass... hope they fix this next year.
Old 11-04-19, 08:24 PM
marmac

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
for a well organized ride in the bay area that is challenging and scenic.. i give a shout out to the sequoia century in june!!