Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Update on injury

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-21, 09:54 AM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
Update on injury

Hi everyone I thought I would give an update on my injury. On March 31, I had a low speed fall on my road bike and fractured my femur in 4 or more places, NOF, had surgery on April fools (I think that’s funny). Had a rod inserted and pinned in the femur. I did everything the doctor told me to do and spent the next 10 weeks on crutches and a walker, went to PT, everything was going good. BTW, I lost 10 pounds at this point (I don’t recommend this for losing weight).

At this point, I was given the go ahead to put weight on the bad leg. At this time I started riding on a trainer. A few weeks later I was okayed to ride my bike outside, this went well. So at this point I am walking fine and riding my bike, this was near the end of July.

On July 30, I was just walking along and there was a pop, I had extreme pain in my hip. Called the doctor and went in the following week. Apparently I broke the rod in my leg and refractured my leg. I waited to surgery all through August but there weren’t any beds available due to the upsurge of COVID.

I finally has surgery in mid September, replaced the rod. Almost back to square one but less trauma. Three weeks later the incision isn’t healing due to an infection. Lost another 10 lbs.

Another surgery for the infection, now I have a fresh incision, a new rod in the leg and IV antibiotics for six weeks. Lost another 5 lbs.

Well I’m doing good, putting a few lbs back on but I’m a bit under Clyde status, I’m under 190 lbs. I’m able to put some weight on the leg but not my full body weight, going to PT and working my legs. Don’t worry I’m still a Clyde based on my height.

Im expecting that I will be up and around in 3 months. At least in 3 weeks I will get the IV line out.

And one more thing to add to this adventure, we bought a new house in January that is 1800 miles from the old house. We still have both houses and I haven’t been able to travel during this period.

Im still upbeat but the strangest thing when in the hospital with the fist surgery, the OT asked me if I was done with riding. I was wondering if he knew something that I didn’t. Well I’m not done with riding.

Well if you read this , you have a lot of patience.
Old 11-08-21, 10:18 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Good Report.
What is your Age?

Old 11-08-21, 10:40 AM
257 roberts

Bikes: 2008 Trek Police bike 2019 Jamis Coda Sport 2021 Surly Bridgeclub

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 924 Times in 304 Posts
Man what an ordeal!! Sounds like you're in good spirits
hope you heal quickly and become a Clyde again soon
Old 11-08-21, 12:53 PM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
Good Report.
What is your Age?
I’m nearing 65
Likes For cyclist2000:
Old 11-08-21, 12:59 PM
cyclist2000

Originally Posted by 257 roberts
Man what an ordeal!! Sounds like you're in good spirits
hope you heal quickly and become a Clyde again soon
Im trying to patient and cautious with my recovery. I follow doctors orders strictly. We are both being conservative with the recovery, I don’t want to break the leg or rod again. All will be fine, it just will take time.
Likes For cyclist2000:
Old 11-10-21, 08:31 AM
OldCruiser

Bikes: Most of my bikes are Single Speed Conversions

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 3,067 Times in 1,015 Posts
Best of luck on your recovery.
I hit 70 this year and I love riding my bikes , but I’m now on blood thinners and I worry about having another crash . They happen..
Arthritis is getting worse every year too .
Enjoy while you can .
Likes For OldCruiser:
Old 11-10-21, 04:28 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 377 Posts
77, pacemaker, a-fib, blood thinner, arthritis. I feel great, though - I rode 1,300 miles this year, the most this century.

I'm really sorry you've gone through this. I expect I'd be a lot less upbeat if I were in your shoes. I think you're making a good choice in being cautious - making haste slowly is probably your best bet for extending your riding.

I stopped riding in 1992 because I became a road warrior. I started again 10 years later, but stopped because I got depressed and anxious due to job loss post-9/11. Got depressed again in 2013 and remembered that exercise usually helps reduce depression. I have to be satisfied with speeds I used to sneer at, but live and learn.

IOW, you've got this. With a little luck, you'll ride your bikes again, and you'll really enjoy it.

I wish you the best.
Likes For philbob57:
Old 11-10-21, 08:10 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclist2000
Hi everyone I thought I would give an update on my injury. On March 31, I had a low speed fall on my road bike and fractured my femur in 4 or more places, NOF, had surgery on April fools (I think that’s funny). Had a rod inserted and pinned in the femur. I did everything the doctor told me to do and spent the next 10 weeks on crutches and a walker, went to PT, everything was going good. BTW, I lost 10 pounds at this point (I don’t recommend this for losing weight).

At this point, I was given the go ahead to put weight on the bad leg. At this time I started riding on a trainer. A few weeks later I was okayed to ride my bike outside, this went well. So at this point I am walking fine and riding my bike, this was near the end of July.

On July 30, I was just walking along and there was a pop, I had extreme pain in my hip. Called the doctor and went in the following week. Apparently I broke the rod in my leg and refractured my leg. I waited to surgery all through August but there weren’t any beds available due to the upsurge of COVID.

I finally has surgery in mid September, replaced the rod. Almost back to square one but less trauma. Three weeks later the incision isn’t healing due to an infection. Lost another 10 lbs.

Another surgery for the infection, now I have a fresh incision, a new rod in the leg and IV antibiotics for six weeks. Lost another 5 lbs.

Well I’m doing good, putting a few lbs back on but I’m a bit under Clyde status, I’m under 190 lbs. I’m able to put some weight on the leg but not my full body weight, going to PT and working my legs. Don’t worry I’m still a Clyde based on my height.

Im expecting that I will be up and around in 3 months. At least in 3 weeks I will get the IV line out.

And one more thing to add to this adventure, we bought a new house in January that is 1800 miles from the old house. We still have both houses and I haven’t been able to travel during this period.

Im still upbeat but the strangest thing when in the hospital with the fist surgery, the OT asked me if I was done with riding. I was wondering if he knew something that I didn’t. Well I’m not done with riding.

Disturbing to read that you broke that rod in your leg, from just gently walking around.

Did they "underspecc" the strength of the rod they put in?

Is the new rod any stronger?
Old 11-10-21, 09:48 PM
cyclist2000

Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
Disturbing to read that you broke that rod in your leg, from just gently walking around.

Did they "underspecc" the strength of the rod they put in?

Is the new rod any stronger?
I won’t speculate on the cause of the broken rod. They did put a stronger one in.
Likes For cyclist2000:
Old 11-10-21, 09:52 PM
cyclist2000

Originally Posted by philbob57
77, pacemaker, a-fib, blood thinner, arthritis. I feel great, though - I rode 1,300 miles this year, the most this century.

I'm really sorry you've gone through this. I expect I'd be a lot less upbeat if I were in your shoes. I think you're making a good choice in being cautious - making haste slowly is probably your best bet for extending your riding.

I stopped riding in 1992 because I became a road warrior. I started again 10 years later, but stopped because I got depressed and anxious due to job loss post-9/11. Got depressed again in 2013 and remembered that exercise usually helps reduce depression. I have to be satisfied with speeds I used to sneer at, but live and learn.

IOW, you've got this. With a little luck, you'll ride your bikes again, and you'll really enjoy it.

I wish you the best.
I have no doubt that I will ride again, I’m determined but patient.
Likes For cyclist2000:
Old 11-11-21, 11:41 AM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 4,032 Times in 1,427 Posts
Geeze, what a rough year! I hope you heal up and get back to doing what you enjoy doing.
Old 11-12-21, 10:59 AM
cyclist2000

Originally Posted by MattTheHat
Geeze, what a rough year! I hope you heal up and get back to doing what you enjoy doing.
I'm enjoying catching up on TV and it eating my way back to Clyde status. I gained 5 lbs. I did ride over 2400 miles this year so it's not completely wasted.

Last edited by cyclist2000; 11-12-21 at 11:08 AM.
Likes For cyclist2000:
Old 11-20-21, 05:54 PM
rnothog

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2; 2016 Giant Roam 1

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Attitude is almost everything. Yours is great. Best wishes for a happy and well-managed recovery!
Old 11-20-21, 06:13 PM
banana jam 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
Hat's off man that is no easy life. Any chance of osteoporosis or did I miss that?
Old 11-22-21, 08:41 AM
cyclist2000

Originally Posted by rnothog
Attitude is almost everything. Yours is great. Best wishes for a happy and well-managed recovery!
I have seen bad patients before, ones that thought they knew more than the doctors. I see the light at the end of the tunnel and I will be in the daylight soon and riding a bike.
Old 11-22-21, 08:52 AM
cyclist2000

Originally Posted by banana jam
Hat's off man that is no easy life. Any chance of osteoporosis or did I miss that?
Don’t really look at that way, things happen and I will be fine after this is over, I just need to be patient. I asked my surgeon about the osteoporosis and he said no, He said the impact was the same as getting hit by a car going 50 mph. I don’t want that to happen either.

Another thought is that I am a diabetic and the diabetes may be inhibiting the healing process. I and my wife are taking a more holistic approach with my nutrition, so I am eating lots of protein and my carbs are from leafy greens, I am also taking calcium, vitamin D and C.

I am making some sweet rolls today, that’s the silver lining.

Last edited by cyclist2000; 11-22-21 at 09:12 AM.
Old 11-22-21, 09:05 AM
cyclist2000

Tomorrow I will get the PICC line out. 6 weeks of IV antibiotics every 8 hours. What a PITA at least it was only 6 weeks. I can really emphasize with patients that have these in long term, although I hope most of them don’t have to use crutches too. I am also glad that mine is only due to minor infection.

One more leap in the right direction. The incision has healed completely and there isn’t any pain except when doing rehab at the PT clinic. I have ridden on the recumbent at the clinic, that is within the weight parameters allowed by the doctor. I can almost put the sock on the foot of the impaired leg.

Oh yeah, I have put a few pounds back on and am getting close to Clyde status again.

Last edited by cyclist2000; 11-22-21 at 09:13 AM.
Likes For cyclist2000:
Old 01-01-22, 11:14 AM
cyclist2000

I started putting on some weight again and am hovering around 200 lbs.

I bugged my doctor about riding given that I can’t put more than 100 lbs on my leg. I don’t want to gain any weight through the holidays

Finally got the ok on Dec 11 for indoor riding. Nothing too extreme because I still have the weight restriction.

Got 300 miles in for the month.

I’m just waiting for the the leg to heal, work on getting my leg over the saddle and the ok to start riding outside.
Old 01-01-22, 03:51 PM
Zoxe

Bikes: Giant Cypress DX, Bianchi Imola, Surly Cross Check 105, Twin6 Standard TI FSU

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 22 Posts
Thank you for the update as the new year starts. May this year be more forgiving than the last. Hoping nothing but the best for you.
Likes For Zoxe:
Old 01-01-22, 04:41 PM
wthensler 

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane SLR 7, 2012 Giant Defy 0, 2012 Trek Domane 6.2 P1, Bianchi Infinito CV disc Di2

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 1,000 Times in 250 Posts
Wow, just reading this and really sorry to hear of all your mis-adventures. The closest I came to your story was 5 years ago, when a wild dog attack broke my pelvis and derailed a great year of cycling. I recovered, and had my very best year in 2019 due in part to COVID, cycling over 8,000 miles for the year.

Then, in 2020, at the beginning of last year, a trip to the cardio revealed a heart arrhythmia (genetic, Mom had a-fib) at which time he stated ‘ you can’t outcyle your genes’. Put me on metoprolol.

I’m close to your age, will be 65 late 2022. So I backed off a bit on the cycling and generally do about 3 or 4 x 22 mile rides each week. I no longer track my miles, but what’s weird is I always feel good on a bike. In September I did the Rappahannock Rough Ride in VA, about 61 miles in the hills, which was about 5,000 feet of climbing. Had a strong effort and felt great after the ride.

I have no other maladies to speak of, no arthritis, no allergies, nothing. But the palpitations do remind me I’m aging and to not overdo it. Not a whole lot I can do….except keep under 200 (which I’ve been doing).

I hope you’re are to resume your activities to a level you enjoy. I still love cycling, albeit at a slightly reduced effort.
Old 01-02-22, 12:55 PM
jeneralist 

Bikes: DOST Kope CVT e-bike; Bilenky Ti Tourlite

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 23 Posts
Thanks for the update. Best of luck in your recovery and your riding!
Old 01-02-22, 03:07 PM
cyclist2000

Originally Posted by wthensler
Wow, just reading this and really sorry to hear of all your mis-adventures. The closest I came to your story was 5 years ago, when a wild dog attack broke my pelvis and derailed a great year of cycling. I recovered, and had my very best year in 2019 due in part to COVID, cycling over 8,000 miles for the year.

Then, in 2020, at the beginning of last year, a trip to the cardio revealed a heart arrhythmia (genetic, Mom had a-fib) at which time he stated ‘ you can’t outcyle your genes’. Put me on metoprolol.

I’m close to your age, will be 65 late 2022. So I backed off a bit on the cycling and generally do about 3 or 4 x 22 mile rides each week. I no longer track my miles, but what’s weird is I always feel good on a bike. In September I did the Rappahannock Rough Ride in VA, about 61 miles in the hills, which was about 5,000 feet of climbing. Had a strong effort and felt great after the ride.

I have no other maladies to speak of, no arthritis, no allergies, nothing. But the palpitations do remind me I’m aging and to not overdo it. Not a whole lot I can do….except keep under 200 (which I’ve been doing).

I hope you’re are to resume your activities to a level you enjoy. I still love cycling, albeit at a slightly reduced effort.
I'm sorry to hear about the arrhythmia, I'm glad that you can still be active and feel well. Take care of yourself and your health, it's the best thing we can have as we get older.

I don't think my issues with my leg are bad at all, it's just a broken bone. I assume that I will ride like before or better with the little weight lose. It just takes time and patience, also listening to my doctor and not get too aggressive in trying to get back on the bike.

I was asking my doctor about my heart a few years ago because my brother had his second heart attack. He decided that it was time I did a stress test to see if there were any problems. He said that my heart is strong and there are no issues.

I was thinking that this is a good year to be injured, with Covid, I don't go out and lessens my chances of getting infected.

Last edited by cyclist2000; 01-02-22 at 03:10 PM.
Likes For cyclist2000:
Old 01-02-22, 03:09 PM
cyclist2000

Originally Posted by jeneralist
Thanks for the update. Best of luck in your recovery and your riding!
Thank you. I will see what the doctor says after the next visit.
Old 01-08-22, 01:11 AM
Big Dave Crowe

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclist2000
hi everyone i thought i would give an update on my injury. On march 31, i had a low speed fall on my road bike and fractured my femur in 4 or more places, nof, had surgery on april fools (i think that’s funny). Had a rod inserted and pinned in the femur. I did everything the doctor told me to do and spent the next 10 weeks on crutches and a walker, went to pt, everything was going good. Btw, i lost 10 pounds at this point (i don’t recommend this for losing weight).

At this point, i was given the go ahead to put weight on the bad leg. At this time i started riding on a trainer. A few weeks later i was okayed to ride my bike outside, this went well. So at this point i am walking fine and riding my bike, this was near the end of july.

On july 30, i was just walking along and there was a pop, i had extreme pain in my hip. Called the doctor and went in the following week. Apparently i broke the rod in my leg and refractured my leg. I waited to surgery all through august but there weren’t any beds available due to the upsurge of covid.

I finally has surgery in mid september, replaced the rod. Almost back to square one but less trauma. Three weeks later the incision isn’t healing due to an infection. Lost another 10 lbs.

Another surgery for the infection, now i have a fresh incision, a new rod in the leg and iv antibiotics for six weeks. Lost another 5 lbs.

Well i’m doing good, putting a few lbs back on but i’m a bit under clyde status, i’m under 190 lbs. I’m able to put some weight on the leg but not my full body weight, going to pt and working my legs. Don’t worry i’m still a clyde based on my height.

Im expecting that i will be up and around in 3 months. At least in 3 weeks i will get the iv line out.

And one more thing to add to this adventure, we bought a new house in january that is 1800 miles from the old house. We still have both houses and i haven’t been able to travel during this period.

Im still upbeat but the strangest thing when in the hospital with the fist surgery, the ot asked me if i was done with riding. I was wondering if he knew something that i didn’t. Well i’m not done with riding.

keep on keeping on!
Old 01-10-22, 12:31 AM
tallbikeman

Bikes: Modified 26 inch frame Schwinn Varsity with 700c wheels and 10 speed cassette hub. Ryan Vanguard recumbent. 67cm 27"x1 1/4" Schwinn Sports Tourer from the 1980's. 1980's 68cm Nishiki Sebring with 700c aero wheels, 30 speeds, flat bar bicycle.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 102 Posts
Good luck with your recovery. I fell off my recumbent at speed a couple of years back. Because of the lower height I did not break my hip or femur. I was 66 at the time. I fear falling off my upright bikes because of the height but still ride them all the time. I hope you defeat the infection issues for good.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.