Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Unknown bike, ID?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-22, 08:35 PM
Frenzen

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Unknown bike, ID?

The two racks made me think it is a touring bike, or it can become one. However, there is no granny gear and chainstay isn't long enough. It is such a terrible picture that OP himself didn't mention the name or any information. Is it worth $85? The saddle appears to be Brooks "mattress", I am guessing and I think these were used on some touring bikes, not sure tho? Unusual case of cantilever breaks with Blackburn-type racks, straps pedals with maybe some sort of clips?

Last edited by Frenzen; 06-11-22 at 08:39 PM.
Old 06-11-22, 10:28 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 3,336 Times in 2,176 Posts
-----

transfers are visible on the TT and on the DT but cannot quite make them out

name appears to begin with letter F

chainstay stop looks to have been broken off and this clamp-on fitting added as a replacement

the fact that it came from the factory as a twelve speed means it is unlikely to be much earlier than 1978

doubt it could be much later than 1982

conical seat stay tops are suggestive of an Asian origin

head looks as though it may be bulge-formed; not eno' rez in image to tell one way or the other...

cantilevers look like they may be a model of CLB, but those horrible soft Formosan levers look out of place

note that front wheel constructed with a five-piece steel hollow axle front hub paired with an alloy rim

cycle is certainly sending some mixed messages...

-----
Old 06-11-22, 11:28 PM
Frenzen

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by juvela
-----

transfers are visible on the TT and on the DT but cannot quite make them out

name appears to begin with letter F

chainstay stop looks to have been broken off and this clamp-on fitting added as a replacement

the fact that it came from the factory as a twelve speed means it is unlikely to be much earlier than 1978

doubt it could be much later than 1982

conical seat stay tops are suggestive of an Asian origin

head looks as though it may be bulge-formed; not eno' rez in image to tell one way or the other...

cantilevers look like they may be a model of CLB, but those horrible soft Formosan levers look out of place

note that front wheel constructed with a five-piece steel hollow axle front hub paired with an alloy rim

cycle is certainly sending some mixed messages...

-----
Can you believe it, I figured it out and it is a freespirit. I thought I found some gold, it is not even a good medium range bike. Not suitable for light touring I guess lol

Last edited by Frenzen; 06-11-22 at 11:33 PM.
Likes For Frenzen:
Old 06-12-22, 03:56 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,923 Times in 1,491 Posts
Originally Posted by Frenzen
Can you believe it, I figured it out and it is a freespirit. I thought I found some gold, it is not even a good medium range bike. Not suitable for light touring I guess lol

IMHO If you’re unsure what your looking at, stay away with a rear derailleur claw style hanger. I know someone will there are plenty of good bikes that use them but again if you’re unsure stay away

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Likes For Bianchigirll:
Old 06-18-22, 08:32 PM
Vintagelover2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
This bike is a Free spirit. It is an early 80s sears bike. I have one almost identical to it.