Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

Peugeot MTN Bike - What are we looking at here?

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-22, 09:44 PM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Bikes: Looking for "the One"

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 212 Posts

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details...dId=1621221678

This bike popped up tonight for sale. Looks kind of drecky, conditionwise. Perhaps they just found it someplace. But, it is an Xl and probably a 23". I asked them about the fork being pushed back a touch and they said it wasn't. Is this thing worth a look at ? I can't see it being worth $150. I'm thinking $40-50 instead.

Old 06-14-22, 06:23 AM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1639 Post(s)
Liked 829 Times in 538 Posts
The fork does look to be bent...... A possible sign that the bike's had a hard life.....
The bike's nothing special. Just one of those early hybrid bikes from Peugeot that was made in the millions in the late 80's.
There are better examples of these bikes in better condition that pop up regularly in the market to choose from, if you really want one.
84 Peugeot PY10FC
84 Gitane Tour de France.
85 Vitus Plus Carbone 7
86 ALAN Record Carbonio
86 Medici Aerodynamic (Project)
88 Pinarello Montello
89 Bottecchia Professional Chorus SL
95 Trek 5500 OCLV (Project)
Old 06-14-22, 08:22 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Personally, I don't see $50 of value. Too much good stuff out there to buy a crashed bike like this one. Seller will ALWAYS say it wasn't crashed.
Please don't confuse ebay "asking" prices with "selling" prices. Many sellers never get their ask price. some are far from it. Value is determined once an item actually SELLS. Its easy enough to check SOLD prices.
Old 06-14-22, 08:22 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
+1 the fork does appear to be bent, in the steering column, likely just above the crown race. This is worse than bent fork blades, as the steering column is extremely difficult to straighten. A bent steering column results in misaligned headset races and premature wear. It's impractical to replace the steering column on a Unicrown fork, so the only practical solution is a replacement fork. The headset would also almost certainly require replacement.

It appears to be an ATB, as opposed to a hybrid, as those look like 26" wheels. Era is circa 1985-1987. Regardless, at the asking price, this would an easy pass for me.
Old 06-14-22, 11:56 AM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Thank you to posters for the input on this one. It is helpful to have some confirmation. I only have one bike and like to have a frame or two extra in case of frame failure (3 times in the last decade), theft or accidents. This peugeot seems to have seen better days but I get a little desperate before reminding onself that there will always be another big bike that comes along eventually. Now is the summer months and the time to buy, but I have to say some sellers are completely nuts. Drag an old bike out of the river, garden hose it off, called it the magic word; "vintage", and set a sky high pricetag on it. Labelling something vintage that was crap even when new does not alchemically better it with age.

( Local example of a dreamer below - A Trek 800, for $300. Why not $5000? )

Last edited by prairiepedaler; 06-15-22 at 04:05 PM.
Old 06-14-22, 11:57 AM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Originally Posted by wrk101
Personally, I don't see $50 of value. Too much good stuff out there to buy a crashed bike like this one. Seller will ALWAYS say it wasn't crashed.
By the sounds of things WRK, I need to go shopping in your neighbourhood!
Old 06-14-22, 12:03 PM
Frenzen

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by prairiepedaler
Thank you to posters for the input on this one. It is helpful to have some confirmation. I only have one bike and like to have a frame or two extra in case of frame failure (3 times in the last decade), theft or accidents. This peugeot seems to have seen better days but I get a little desperate before reminding onself that there will always be another big bike that comes along eventually. Now is the summer months and the time to buy, but I have to say some sellers are completely nuts. Drag an old bike out of the river, garden hose it off, called it the magic word; "vintage", and set a sky high pricetag on it. Labelling something vintage that was crap even when new does not alchemically better it with age.
I have been searching for a specific bike for 3-4 months, do not give up! How did your frames fails? I have not witnessed frame failures myself but it is good to check the bike from time to time. I can also suggest you can bike a cheap bike at a co-op, if you really need a backup!
Old 06-14-22, 01:43 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Originally Posted by prairiepedaler
By the sounds of things WRK, I need to go shopping in your neighbourhood!
I am trying hard to NOT buy, but I bought another one Saturday (see my Frejus thread). I pass on so many good to great deals right now.

Last edited by wrk101; 06-14-22 at 01:59 PM.
Old 06-15-22, 08:33 AM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Originally Posted by Frenzen
How did your frames fails? I have not witnessed frame failures myself but it is good to check the bike from time to time.
Hello Fren, have a look here and here for the frames that most recently caved. The other was a long gone GT Timberline which had a rear dropout snap..
Old 06-15-22, 09:29 AM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 1,761 Times in 634 Posts
Being in Winnipeg if your looking for large sturdy framed MTB I would suggest you look for a late 80's Rocky Mountain hard frame. Several notches above the Canadian Peugoet stuff and seem to sell in the same price range.
Old 06-16-22, 08:41 PM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Originally Posted by zukahn1
Being in Winnipeg if your looking for large sturdy framed MTB I would suggest you look for a late 80's Rocky Mountain hard frame. Several notches above the Canadian Peugoet stuff and seem to sell in the same price range.
Hello Zuk, by coincidence, the Rocky Mountain Sherpa 30 in an XXL is on my very short list. Usually available in the $450 range used, depending on condition. It is a touring bike so hopefully it would hold up and it can fit 40mm tires too (with fenders). Any old Rocky Mountain hardtail mountain bike would probably be fine. However, they are not possible to find in an XL. Not here anyways. Speaking of coincidences, I just had the barrel braze-on snap off on one of the seat stays on the current ride. Great. Haven't even had the bike a year. P-clamp now for one side until the other barrel breaks.