Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What to consider for carbon/titanium/other bike WITH Di2 and WITHOUT disc brakes?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

What to consider for carbon/titanium/other bike WITH Di2 and WITHOUT disc brakes?

Old 06-30-22, 02:16 PM
Schlafen

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 63 Posts
I'm shopping for a rim brake frame as well and narrowed it down to a Canyon Ultimate SL7 or a Ribble SLR, mainly based on geometry and my requirements for carbon and rim brake.
Old 06-30-22, 02:44 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
Making the change to disc isn't a big deal. I did it about 18 months ago with no regrets. I chose sram force axs. I took the same force axs levers that I was using on two rim brake bikes and moved them over to disc frames with Juin-Tech GT calipers. I'm planning a new disc bike with force axs and full hydro. Bleeding brake hoses with DOT 5.1 fluid in them probably won't be fun. Cable operated calipers are much easier to maintain. The number of rim brake frames being made is dwindling quickly.
​​​​​
Old 06-30-22, 02:56 PM
supernova87a

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Apologies, my use of the word "distracting" in the OP was a little confusing. I was trying to convey that I find the hype/discussion about disc brakes distracting and not the most important issue for most people's performance (especially mine). I didn't mean that they are actually distracting in the moment of riding.
Old 06-30-22, 04:17 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10392 Post(s)
Liked 11,842 Times in 6,062 Posts
Originally Posted by Recycled Cycler
I'm seeing many excellent used bikes with Di2 on eBay with rim brakes.

No way I'd go disc. Doesn't solve any problem. I'd buy one of these or similar used bikes and be happy forever:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/32522531894...wAAOSwtCZijmuw

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12539164088...UAAOSwiRhiu3NV
I have a wheelset with fantastic hubs and worn out rims that says different.

Not saying discs are better, but rim wear is an actual problem with rim brakes. It's FAR easier to replace a disc than a rim.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 06-30-22, 05:38 PM
Recycled Cycler
Old Worn Treads

Bikes: IF Crown Jewel, Lugged Columbus SLX Serotta

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 24 Posts
What on earth did we do before disc brakes lol.

Got along swimmingly with rim brakes for centuries (pardon the pun).

I've ridden wheels thousands and thousands of miles. Never replaced a wheel because of rim wear. Maybe I should have, but never did. Are manufacturers now convincing us that we should be replacing our rims every 500 miles or ********** Poppycock.

Originally Posted by genejockey
I have a wheelset with fantastic hubs and worn out rims that says different.

Not saying discs are better, but rim wear is an actual problem with rim brakes. It's FAR easier to replace a disc than a rim.
Old 06-30-22, 07:11 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10392 Post(s)
Liked 11,842 Times in 6,062 Posts
Originally Posted by Recycled Cycler
What on earth did we do before disc brakes lol.

Got along swimmingly with rim brakes for centuries (pardon the pun).

I've ridden wheels thousands and thousands of miles. Never replaced a wheel because of rim wear. Maybe I should have, but never did. Are manufacturers now convincing us that we should be replacing our rims every 500 miles or ********** Poppycock.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 06-30-22, 09:01 PM
Dreww10

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by stevel610
I wouldn't ride carbon wheels with rim brakes. But that's just me. YMMV.
I have roughy 35,000 miles on a set of carbon wheels of mine and the brake track doesn't even look used. This logic has been flawed for nearly as long as carbon wheels have been around.
Likes For Dreww10:
Old 07-01-22, 08:03 AM
bobones

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 10 Posts
We don't really need another rim vs disc debate in this thread to derail the OP's question: it's all been said before and everyone is intransigent with their opinion. That being said, I am firmly in the rim-brake camp because discs contribute nothing to the joy of cycling for the type of riding I do, and actually detract from it in many ways.

Back to the original question: IMO, the cheapest way to get a really nice, new electronic rim brake bike is to source the components and frameset separately and build it up yourself or with the help of your LBS. For example, I built up a 6.5kg Giant TCR advanced SL with SRAM Red AXS, carbon wheels, integrated aero bar, etc. for about £4k just before Christmas. (A better or lighter off-the-shelf disc brake bike would cost in excess of £10k I am sure). Right now, Wiggle are selling a rim-brake carbon frame for £600 and Planet-X, a rim-brake Ti frame for £500. You can buy Red AXS 12x1 for £850 (or Force 12x1 cheaper if you can find it), add a Rival AXS FD for £130, and you're well on your way to a complete electronic shifting bike with nice carbon wheels for about £2.5-£2.8k.

I'm guessing the OP is not in the UK, but I suspect there are similar deals to be found in the US.
Likes For bobones:
Old 07-02-22, 01:25 PM
supernova87a

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bobones

... Right now, Wiggle are selling a rim-brake carbon frame for £600 and Planet-X, a rim-brake Ti frame for £500. You can buy Red AXS 12x1 for £850 (or Force 12x1 cheaper if you can find it), add a Rival AXS FD for £130, and you're well on your way to a complete electronic shifting bike with nice carbon wheels for about £2.5-£2.8k.

I'm guessing the OP is not in the UK, but I suspect there are similar deals to be found in the US.

Would anyone have suggestions about what parts sites to look at for these in the US? Thanks!