Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

New TT bike - BMC Time Machine TT02

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

New TT bike - BMC Time Machine TT02

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-11, 01:26 AM
AdelaaR

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
291W average over 15 miles ... not bad OP
Old 09-14-11, 03:23 AM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
I averaged that for a TT a couple of years back, but it was only about 8 miles. And my position on the bike was terrible. I would be faster now on the P3. Didn't get to TT too much this year, I've had 3 races cancelled in the last month due to flooding and other reasons. Two more TT's left, weather permitting.
Old 09-14-11, 10:20 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
If this is your first TT bike OP that you built up yourself, how did you figure out the bike size and how high to position the handlebar?
I am considering buying or building a TT bike and am not young and so am concerned that an overly low handlebar maybe an issue for neck comfort in particular.
Any advice?
Thanks
Old 09-14-11, 10:33 AM
rpeterson

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Good job on the first race, I wish I could hold 291 for 40 minutes, I'm lucky to be pushing 200 lol.
Old 09-14-11, 10:50 AM
LowCel 
Throw the stick!!!!

Bikes: GMC Denali

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Campag4life
If this is your first TT bike OP that you built up yourself, how did you figure out the bike size and how high to position the handlebar?
I am considering buying or building a TT bike and am not young and so am concerned that an overly low handlebar maybe an issue for neck comfort in particular.
Any advice?
Thanks
I owned another tt bike a few years ago but can't remember any of my measurements. I pretty much trusted www.wrenchscience.com on the sizing. As far as the bars and clip ons I am experimenting on the positioning. I left plenty of steerer above the stem so I can move it around if necessary.
Old 09-14-11, 10:52 AM
LowCel 
Throw the stick!!!!

Originally Posted by rpeterson
Good job on the first race, I wish I could hold 291 for 40 minutes, I'm lucky to be pushing 200 lol.
Thank you. According to garmin my wattage was 291, according to WKO+ it was 296. I'm going by WKO+.

Regardless, I'm still fat so my power to weight ratio sucks.
Old 09-14-11, 11:54 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
Originally Posted by LowCel
23.8 avg moving speed
291 watts avg (296 watts on WKO+)
Is your position tweaked? That seems like a pretty low speed for that wattage.
Old 09-14-11, 12:32 PM
LowCel 
Throw the stick!!!!

Originally Posted by guadzilla
Is your position tweaked? That seems like a pretty low speed for that wattage.
Not even close, I built the bike on Wednesday night, test rode it on Thursday, raced it Saturday. Also, no matter how good my position is (which it is far from good) I am still 5'10" and weigh 210 - 215 pounds. No matter what I am going to be fighting a lot of wind.
Old 09-14-11, 01:23 PM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
Not even close, I built the bike on Wednesday night, test rode it on Thursday, raced it Saturday. Also, no matter how good my position is (which it is far from good) I am still 5'10" and weigh 210 - 215 pounds. No matter what I am going to be fighting a lot of wind.
Ah ok. Not to rub salt in your aero tuck, but glad to know there are people less aero than me
Old 09-14-11, 01:29 PM
AdelaaR

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I did already notice those numbers meant your drag is pretty high.
Still ... what matters is that you have a nice new bike and that you have fun riding it
Old 09-14-11, 01:49 PM
LowCel 
Throw the stick!!!!

Originally Posted by AdelaaR
I did already notice those numbers meant your drag is pretty high.
Still ... what matters is that you have a nice new bike and that you have fun riding it
Honestly, I don't have fun riding it. It hurts like hell!!!! That's part of racing though.
Old 09-14-11, 07:06 PM
dgasmd
shedding fat

Bikes: LOOK 595 Ultra/Campy Record 10Sp, restored Guerciotti/Campy C-Record 6 Sp, TIME RXR/Campy SR 11Sp, and Colnago C-60 with Campagnolo SR 11sp.

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Here is the data from my first race on it.

https://app.strava.com/rides/1574628#24906420

15.18 miles
38:24 (minutes:seconds)
271 feet elevation gain
23.8 avg moving speed
311 nom watts
753 max watts
95 avg cadence
671 kilojoules
291W average over 15 miles ... not bad OP
Originally Posted by patentcad
I averaged that for a TT a couple of years back, but it was only about 8 miles. And my position on the bike was terrible. I would be faster now on the P3. Didn't get to TT too much this year, I've had 3 races cancelled in the last month due to flooding and other reasons. Two more TT's left, weather permitting.
Thank you. According to garmin my wattage was 291, according to WKO+ it was 296. I'm going by WKO+.

Regardless, I'm still fat so my power to weight ratio sucks.
And they say it is not about the bike? Bull****!!
Old 09-14-11, 07:15 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,171 Times in 1,462 Posts
Sorry, I'm missing something. How does high cadence and high speeds slow you down? I agree that when i watch a TT normally you see the guys running a large gear with a lower cadence then you would normally thing is right during a race. I'm just not understanding the reasoning behind this.
Your feet move against the wind more than your body does and so they generate quite a lot of drag for their size.
This is why TT'ers even use shoe covers to increase the aeroness of the feet.
The higher your cadence ... the faster your foot is "kicking against the wind" and so the more it will slow you down.
The difference isn't huge nor is it even big ... but for time trial races it can mean the difference between winning and not even being near the podium since the effect increases exponentially with speed increase.
Plus most people generate max power at 75-85 rpms. You can't do that forever though. But for shorter tt's, you are faster with slower cadences and more effort
Old 06-04-12, 07:52 PM
LowCel 
Throw the stick!!!!

Updated pictures with the new wheels. Please ignore the grime and the crank position. That is the temporary crankset, I'll be putting the Quarq on it for TT's.

Old 06-04-12, 08:32 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13694 Post(s)
Liked 4,520 Times in 2,499 Posts
Old 06-05-12, 05:19 PM
island rider

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by patentcad
Compacts are for makeup, not racing bicycles.
Certainly for a TT bike. Just a question though. Do you race the Tour of the Catskills? Do you race a standard up devil's kitchen? Not saying it can't be done, not saying it shouldn't be done, I know many who do. But I also know some people who re-gear for races like that with compacts so they don't leave it all on the hill.

More curious than anything else.
Old 06-22-22, 11:27 PM
Websters52

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do you know the size of the seat post front to back side to side in mm? I have the same frame and have been searching for a seat post of over 6 months. BMC doesn't make them anymore
Old 06-23-22, 05:13 AM
LowCel 
Throw the stick!!!!

Originally Posted by Websters52
Do you know the size of the seat post front to back side to side in mm? I have the same frame and have been searching for a seat post of over 6 months. BMC doesn't make them anymore
I wish I could help but I haven't owned this bike in several years.
Old 06-28-22, 07:52 PM
beng1
Banned

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 195 Posts
Here is the data from my first race on it.

https://app.strava.com/rides/1574628#24906420

15.18 miles
38:24 (minutes:seconds)
271 feet elevation gain
23.8 avg moving speed
311 nom watts
753 max watts
95 avg cadence
671 kilojoules
How old are you? When I was 35 years old I could run in the 23mph range with a standard lugged-steel frame road-bike, and the guys who used to win back then, 25 years ago, were running almost 30mph on fancy bikes like this with disc wheels. I don't think I would have any use for a bike that cost many thousands of dollars unless I could go close to 25 or 26mph on a standard road bike for the distance of a time trial, because it would not be the hardware that was keeping me from coming close to winning.
Old 06-29-22, 04:18 AM
LowCel 
Throw the stick!!!!

Originally Posted by beng1
How old are you? When I was 35 years old I could run in the 23mph range with a standard lugged-steel frame road-bike, and the guys who used to win back then, 25 years ago, were running almost 30mph on fancy bikes like this with disc wheels. I don't think I would have any use for a bike that cost many thousands of dollars unless I could go close to 25 or 26mph on a standard road bike for the distance of a time trial, because it would not be the hardware that was keeping me from coming close to winning.
Are you really insulting me in a thread from 2011? Surely you can find something better to do.
Old 06-29-22, 05:28 AM
beng1
Banned

Are you really insulting me in a thread from 2011? Surely you can find something better to do.
It is not about you at all, and the thread is on the front page of the forum so it is fair game. 25 years ago when I could run a standard lugged-steel bike up into the 23mph bracket, I asked a local bicycle dealer who raced and sold fancy time-trial equipment how much time all that fancy aero bicycle and helmet and other equipment was worth in a time-trial of a dozen miles or so, and they said "two or three minutes". So even if I dropped the thousands of dollars on high-end equipment it would cost for those two or three minutes, I would still be four or more minutes shy of ever winning a bicycle time-trial race, or any other bicycle race for that matter. So it did not seem to make any sense to spend thousands of dollars to go from being a slow or average bicycle racer, to being a little bit faster slow or average bicycle racer.

If I were close enough for it to make a difference in winning, if on equipment like Eddie Merckx used to set his hour record a half-century ago I could go around 27mph in a TT, then I might win some local races after dropping the thousands on equipment, but as it is someone who can only muster 23 or 24mph on a bike with round steel tubing, would never be able to buy the six or seven mph needed to win anything. I don't mind finishing in the middle of the results of a time-trial today any more than I minded not winning by finishing in the top ten-percent 25 years ago, so it still a few decades later does not seem to make any sense to let participants in an athletic sport buy speed, to let their speed in the event depend on how much money they have instead of how much athletic ability they have, and it certainly does not make sense to feel good about buying speed, especially when it is not competitive anyway. If you are a competitive bicycle racer, you do not have to buy it, a sponsor or team you belong to will.
Old 06-29-22, 05:57 AM
LowCel 
Throw the stick!!!!

it is not about you at all, and the thread is on the front page of the forum so it is fair game. 25 years ago when i could run a standard lugged-steel bike up into the 23mph bracket, i asked a local bicycle dealer who raced and sold fancy time-trial equipment how much time all that fancy aero bicycle and helmet and other equipment was worth in a time-trial of a dozen miles or so, and they said "two or three minutes". So even if i dropped the thousands of dollars on high-end equipment it would cost for those two or three minutes, i would still be four or more minutes shy of ever winning a bicycle time-trial race, or any other bicycle race for that matter. So it did not seem to make any sense to spend thousands of dollars to go from being a slow or average bicycle racer, to being a little bit faster slow or average bicycle racer.

If i were close enough for it to make a difference in winning, if on equipment like eddie merckx used to set his hour record a half-century ago i could go around 27mph in a tt, then i might win some local races after dropping the thousands on equipment, but as it is someone who can only muster 23 or 24mph on a bike with round steel tubing, would never be able to buy the six or seven mph needed to win anything. I don't mind finishing in the middle of the results of a time-trial today any more than i minded not winning by finishing in the top ten-percent 25 years ago, so it still a few decades later does not seem to make any sense to let participants in an athletic sport buy speed, to let their speed in the event depend on how much money they have instead of how much athletic ability they have, and it certainly does not make sense to feel good about buying speed, especially when it is not competitive anyway. If you are a competitive bicycle racer, you do not have to buy it, a sponsor or team you belong to will.
Old 07-01-22, 07:16 AM
beng1
Banned

Here, educate yourself a bit; https://study.com/academy/lesson/ad-...-examples.html
Old 07-01-22, 10:34 AM
LowCel 
Throw the stick!!!!

I’m good thanks. Feel free to continue your rants and talking about how awesome you were.

I’ll continue to enjoy riding amazing bikes.

I probably don’t “need” this one either. Luckily I’m not worried about what you think I should be riding.