Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Cycling for my Health - Which Bike?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 01-03-19, 09:37 PM
mwdilday

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi all. I am 60 years old and really enjoy everything about bikes and cycling. I have not been regular but I think it is an way of getting exercise that I enjoy and think I could really get into a routine.

I currently have a Giant Roam 1 hybrid and a vintage '80s Fuji Espree touring bike that is in great condition. My dilemma is should I concentrate on one bike and if so which one? The hybrid is newer and possibly a better bike but the Fuji is a real fun bike. Opinions and help are appreciated.
Old 01-03-19, 09:51 PM
daoswald

Bikes: 2008 Cannondale Synapse -- 2014 Cannondale Quick CX

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 54 Posts
I don't see a good reason to avoid one or the other so long as they fit and are comfortable enough for the riding you use them for. I have a road bike and take it on my fitness rides as well as my distance/endurance rides. I use my hybrid on shorter rides, family outings, errands, commuting sometimes... they fill different purposes but are both accumulating healthy miles.
Old 01-03-19, 10:18 PM
bald1

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I started riding with a Fuji hybrid and an early 80's Cannondale touring bike 9 years. Around town and in higher traffic areas with more "stop and go" intersections I prefer flat bars. In open areas with longer stretches of pedaling I prefer the Cannondale for harder exercise. I find use both types as part of my "lifestyle."
P.S I'm 73. Now have 2 flat bar bikes, 1 cruiser bike and 2 drop bar bikes. It's contagious.
Old 01-03-19, 10:21 PM
jon c. 

Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,017 Times in 571 Posts
Originally Posted by mwdilday
the Fuji is a real fun bike.
Seems like the answer is therefore obvious. Ride the Fuji.
Old 01-03-19, 10:22 PM
mwdilday

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bald1
I started riding with a Fuji hybrid and an early 80's Cannondale touring bike 9 years. Around town and in higher traffic areas with more "stop and go" intersections I prefer flat bars. In open areas with longer stretches of pedaling I prefer the Cannondale for harder exercise. I find use both types as part of my "lifestyle."
P.S I'm 73. Now have 2 flat bar bikes, 1 cruiser bike and 2 drop bar bikes. It's contagious.
Yes it is contagious. I enjoy everything about it. Working on them, riding, owning and everything. I love my bikes.
Old 01-03-19, 10:23 PM
mwdilday

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jon c.
Seems like the answer is therefore obvious. Ride the Fuji.
Ha ha. I guess I should've said I love the hybrid too.
Old 01-03-19, 10:45 PM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
Why decide, ride both, it's called cross training.
Old 01-03-19, 11:56 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Working ones.
Old 01-04-19, 01:29 AM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
What health? The body needs the mind. Cycling should be enjoyable, you should love being out there. It's not a competition unless that's what you love.

Me, I'm more for the scenery and comfort. I sit quite upright and i explore. Think about what you want from your cycling.
Old 01-04-19, 06:43 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,464 Times in 1,830 Posts
You should concentrate on riding one ---at a time. Don't try to ride both at once unless you are exceedingly talented.
Old 01-04-19, 08:16 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,574 Times in 2,338 Posts
find some long unpaved rail trails for the roam
Old 01-06-19, 10:12 AM
Caliper

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 43 Posts
If you're in it for fitness, just ride whatever you feel like that day. Cycling more frequently is better for your health than stressing about which bike to ride. Most of us have several bikes we ride and as long as your fit on all of them us comfortable, all is good.
If it were me between those two, I'd be on the Fuji because I'm a drop bar fan and not really comfortable on flat bars, but that's just me and YMMV.

Just listen to the all time best cyclist Eddy Merckx: "Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride."
Old 01-06-19, 02:22 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by mwdilday
Hi all. I am 60 years old and really enjoy everything about bikes and cycling. I have not been regular but I think it is an way of getting exercise that I enjoy and think I could really get into a routine.

I currently have a Giant Roam 1 hybrid and a vintage '80s Fuji Espree touring bike that is in great condition. My dilemma is should I concentrate on one bike and if so which one? The hybrid is newer and possibly a better bike but the Fuji is a real fun bike. Opinions and help are appreciated.
I like having more than one bike, so I can switch when I get bored with one of them. It always seems like I go faster on a bike that I haven't been riding for a while.
Old 01-06-19, 04:35 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by Caliper
If you're in it for fitness, just ride whatever you feel like that day. Cycling more frequently is better for your health than stressing about which bike to ride. Most of us have several bikes we ride and as long as your fit on all of them us comfortable, all is good.
If it were me between those two, I'd be on the Fuji because I'm a drop bar fan and not really comfortable on flat bars, but that's just me and YMMV.

Just listen to the all time best cyclist Eddy Merckx: "Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride."
+1
I ride two, a gravel bike with drops and a Trek dual sport. In warm months I sort of alternate. In winter, the gravel bike is used on the trainer. I still have the hybrid for outside on passable winter days, which for me is no ice, snow and minimal winds. Two bikes give you options. I usually quit riding outside once temps were below 40F. I've done a recent ride in the upper 20's and liked it. So, I say stay with two ride whichever you feel like riding that day.
Old 01-06-19, 09:06 PM
BirdsBikeBinocs

Bikes: Giant Talon 29 - Specialized Diverge E5 Comp

Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
find some long unpaved rail trails for the roam
This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I love riding trails in the woods. Easy trails.
Old 01-07-19, 09:25 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,574 Times in 2,338 Posts
Originally Posted by BirdsBikeBinocs
This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I love riding trails in the woods. Easy trails.
I had no idea that was even a thing up until a cpl yrs ago. now I can't get enough of them & it's wicked fun just finding them!

Last edited by rumrunn6; 01-07-19 at 01:46 PM.
Old 01-07-19, 10:52 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 1,919 Times in 1,203 Posts
Ride the one you like to ride the most.

The most expensive bike (no matter what it cost) is the bike sitting in your garage, unridden.

The best exercise you get from riding a bike is riding the bike.

So pick one out, and go ride it. Today. Repeat tomorrow. Then the day after.
Old 01-07-19, 12:06 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
You are the expert on you. Ride whichever you like when you feel like riding it. I have two bikes and I alternate between them a lot depending on what roads I'm riding, weather, and whether I'm carrying stuff, or sometimes just whim. The positions are different enough that I can feel some slight difference of which leg muscles get the most intense workout, and I figure the variety is probably good for me.

TL/DR: It's all good.
Old 01-08-19, 04:35 PM
BirdsBikeBinocs

Bikes: Giant Talon 29 - Specialized Diverge E5 Comp

Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
I had no idea that was even a thing up until a cpl yrs ago. now I can't get enough of them & it's wicked fun just finding them!
Yup. You're spot on. I'm constantly breaking my neck looking for new trails.
Old 01-08-19, 08:44 PM
Myosmith
Lover of Old Chrome Moly

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
As long as both bikes are in good mechanical condition and fit you well, don't overthink it. Just ride.
Old 01-10-19, 09:14 AM
CrankyOne

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 35 Posts
For your health you want frequent moderate activity, not so much less frequent hard activity. Two to four 10-60 minutes bits spread throughout each and every day is about ideal (along with 2-3 minutes of at least walking around each hr). That said, if your thing is a 1-2 hr sweatfest every other day then that's much better than doing nothing.

And as said above, the best bike is the one you'll ride.

For me the best is riding to a local café each morning for porridge and a cappuccino (about 10-15 minutes each way). I work on my laptop for an hour or two and then ride back home or to somewhere else. We'll also ride to the grocery, pharmacy and other nearby places. This gets us about 70% of our activity goal with the other 30% filled out with gardening, water skiing or other stuff.

More: https://www.bluezones.com/2016/11/power-9/

Nearly all of my daily riding is on my Dutch Opafiets (City Bikes | LocalMile) and my wife on her Workcycles Gr8. I also have a Bakfiets for larger grocery runs or other chores. During winter I'll stick studded tires on a couple of extra Omafiets that we keep for guests and we'll ride them if there's snow or ice on the bikeway*. Because they're comfortable and easy to ride any time in any clothes these bikes overwhelmingly get the most trips now. We do also have road and mountain bikes but the extra effort required to ride them and that they're much less comfortable means they get many fewer trips.

* Outside of the U.S. guys frequently ride step through omafiets style bikes and even though we're in the U.S. I do so and enjoy it. This fear of riding a 'womans' bike is really kind of silly.