Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

WalMart: stop building 'built to fail' bikes!

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

WalMart: stop building 'built to fail' bikes!

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-22, 04:56 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4391 Post(s)
Liked 4,833 Times in 2,988 Posts
Over in the UK we have Halfords (a big consumer auto retailer) who have demonstrated how to sell safe budget bikes. Walmart should follow their cycling business model, rather than Toys R Us.

https://www.halfords.com/cycling/ser...ce-centre.html
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 01-14-22, 06:54 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 580 Times in 408 Posts
Originally Posted by frogman
If we aren't capable of doing a basic safety check on a bicycle from Walmart before using it then it's our problem not Walmart. We they are not high quality bikes but you get what you pay for.
I disagree completely. A single Mom buying a bike for her daughter to get to school can not be expected provide a "safety check" before letting a daughter head out to school. Inusuit experience is outrageous, a Consumer Protection complaint should be addressed to the state attorney general. While the poor quality will show up all too soon a wheel should not fall off in just a "few days". Is it also her fault if she buys a set of cheap tires and does not check the lug nut torque and a wheel falls off on the freeway?
Likes For easyupbug:
Old 01-14-22, 07:04 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,518 Times in 7,324 Posts
Originally Posted by wesmamyke
Share bikes seem like a scam to me, the whole point being some multi year contract for servicing them. I could be wrong, but I'd be curious what kind of money gets thrown at a bike share program for a decent sized city or town.

They do actually get used a fair amount around here because of the student population. Not so much in the winter, as they remove them along with the charging docks in some places. Probably to keep them from getting totally destroyed.
The bike share program here in Philly is very popular with both residents and tourists. Saw a few being ridden this week despite some chilly weather. The program is sponsored by Blue Cross and continues to expand. Ebike versions were added in the last year or two.
Old 01-14-22, 07:23 AM
denaffen

Bikes: Bianchi Nyala, Bianchi Volpe, Bianchi Campione D'Italia, Trek 640, Luxus folding bike, Schwinn Speedster, Bianchi Torino, KHS Aero Sport, probably something else around here somewhere

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 198 Times in 100 Posts
It seems weird that y’all would defend dangerous trash, as “it’s all some can afford” but not stop to think that maybe the poor also want to be reasonably sure they’re getting their money’s worth and not buying dangerous trash.
Likes For denaffen:
Old 01-14-22, 07:50 AM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Maybe if the minimum wage was more than "$zero/hr" the market for such bikes would cease to exist or shrink to the point it wasn't profitable any more. I guessing 1/2 the cheap bikes sold in X-mart is bought by their own under paid and overworked employees.
Likes For Racing Dan:
Old 01-14-22, 07:52 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6950 Post(s)
Liked 10,958 Times in 4,685 Posts
Originally Posted by wesmamyke
Share bikes seem like a scam to me, the whole point being some multi year contract for servicing them. I could be wrong, but I'd be curious what kind of money gets thrown at a bike share program for a decent sized city or town.
Do you have any evidence at all to support your claims?
Old 01-14-22, 07:55 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by LV2TNDM
Everyone benefits from this campaign, cyclists, bike mechanics, bike shops, big box stores and all consumers.

I agree, there will probably be a negative outcome of this campaign: higher prices.

Sure, everyone benefits and no one loses. Right.

Like it or not, if you raise prices, you will make a bike unaffordable for some people. This "campaign" isn't going anywhere because obviously the big box stores are finding this profitable and this line of argument, which has been done to death at this point, is not changing consumer attitudes at the low end of the market.
Old 01-14-22, 08:04 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by SurferRosa
This article popped up on my google feed, and I was like, yeah, it's about time.

The s*** Walmart bikes in question today are not like the Sears Free Spirits of yesterday. Back then, we could ride those $100 bikes for a dozen years without any issues other than a flat tire.

Because of inflation, that $100 in 1979 would be about $413 today. And there were plenty of crap bikes being sold in the 1960s and 1970s. I know because my dad, who never rode a bicycle in his life (literally), bought me a few of them when I was a child.
Old 01-14-22, 08:12 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by cyccommute
As someone who sees these kinds of bikes often at my local co-op (where Mac Liman) works, I can tell you that not all of the issues are something that shows up in a simple “safety check”. For example, the crank spindle below isn’t the only one I’ve seen in that kind of condition. I’ve seen one that was actually twisted inside the bottom bracket like some wrought iron finial.

That is a single spindle that is cracked on both sides of the spindle.

I’ve also seen bottom brackets where the bearings were ground down to hemispheres and had bottom bracket cups pull apart inside the frame making them to nearly difficult to remove. I’ve seen “steel” cranks have eroded the square taper to a round hole and pedal threads that are complete gone to the point where a slight tug will pull them out of the crank.

The problem isn’t with the assembly but with the materials of construction. Walmart has pushed the price point down so much that the manufacturers are cutting more than just corners.
That's obviously a hidden defect, and if it causes an injury, Walmart and everyone else involved in the manufacture and sale of the bike (the whole chain of distribution) would be strictly liable for it under US law in pretty much any state.

Have you reported this defect to the CPSC?
Old 01-14-22, 08:48 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Motor vehicle safety also involves the folks around you more often. Sure, a bicycle could fail and injure a bystander.....but I'd bet that's more rare. I think that and the speeds/forces/weights involved with motor vehicles drives more standards.

Citizens aren't willing to pay or deal with more regulation on a product like a bicycle given the possible risks to the public.

That's my view. From there it is simple supply and demand. Consumers buy cheap junk often enough they keep making cheap junk.

To counter this topic though, one of the biggest POS bikes I've ever encountered was my kid's Specialized mountain bike. He's never crashed it, rides it on the greenway, etc... Just total garbage. The brakes, the weight, the hardwares, etc.... First rate junk. Name brand.
Old 01-14-22, 09:14 AM
sloppy12

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 147 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
Motor vehicle safety also involves the folks around you more often. Sure, a bicycle could fail and injure a bystander.....but I'd bet that's more rare. I think that and the speeds/forces/weights involved with motor vehicles drives more standards.

Citizens aren't willing to pay or deal with more regulation on a product like a bicycle given the possible risks to the public.

That's my view. From there it is simple supply and demand. Consumers buy cheap junk often enough they keep making cheap junk.

To counter this topic though, one of the biggest POS bikes I've ever encountered was my kid's Specialized mountain bike. He's never crashed it, rides it on the greenway, etc... Just total garbage. The brakes, the weight, the hardwares, etc.... First rate junk. Name brand.
Kids bikes in general IMO are all low end(I exclude BMX and racing exclusive bikes). only a few brands even remotely care about the kid riding the bike the rest care about a price point.
Likes For sloppy12:
Old 01-14-22, 09:23 AM
RayHenry
Legend In My Own Mind

Bikes: Road, hybrid, mountain, motor. I have no shame.

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 17 Posts
This is a very interesting topic, and one that really has no end of arguments. I'll weigh in here as a father of 4, step-father of 2, and grandfather of 4. So I've seen my share of kids growing up on bikes. And lots of that done on box store bikes. First, not everything Wal Mart (insert your favorite hated box store instead) is complete junk. But a lot of it is. Assembly is another issue. Around here, it appears store are using employees to assemble, rather than a third party. So it's hit-and-miss on proper assembly around here.

When it comes to kid's bikes, longevity isn't all that much of a factor, as I've found the kids outgrow them before they wear them out. Keeping in mind that where I am, you really have only about 6 months riding season for most people. My kids all started on box store bikes that were more than reliable. In fact, my shed is home to a $25 BMX purchased on clearance at Wal Mart 12 years ago, for my youngest son. It's still rideable, the only thing I had to do was continually replace the rear tire once he discovered he could leave long black marks everywhere he went. My oldest daughter did her second 100km ride at the age of 10 on a BS bike (first was a year earlier on an old single speed 24" wheel coaster brake Glider, but that's a different story).

As my kids grew older, they went through both BS and LBS bikes. Many times I found LBS bikes spec'd the same as BS bikes for double the price. Yeah, the stickers on the frames were different, but that was it. And yes, I have to go through the BS bikes and set them up correctly. But $150 for a 20" CCM mountain bike at a box store and $300 for a Bonelli that was the same damned bike from the LBS, guess what I bought. Not all them were BS bikes, if I came found a deal within say 20% of the BS price at the LBS, I went LBS.

There are probably a million kids out there riding around on cheap BS bikes. I hear all the talk about kids getting hurt, bikes only lasting a month, etc. But what are the numbers on that? The real numbers, not someone just guessing because they don't like BS bikes or their kid trashed one. Real numbers. Without them, you're just playing Don Quixote. Prove to me how bad these bikes are. Show me that we need to demand these stop being sold. There are lots of kids growing up poor that would not be cyclists without a BS bike to start with. I'd bet many kids wouldn't know the thrill of owning a new bike (or any bike) if BS bikes didn't exist. And if you can't get them on a bike as a kid, it's pretty hard to get them on one as an adult.

Rather than try to control what box stores sell (we have far too many rules, regulations, restrictions and other controls in our lives today), perhaps the better choice is to set a required checklist when a bike is sold, to ensure the store is setting them up correctly. And perhaps requiring a notice to given if a bike has parts that cannot be replaced (I've yet to see a bike with parts that can't be at least substituted, but they may exist). And let the consumer decide what they want. If we demand the end of short-lived bicycles, where do we stop? Our lives are filled with disposable items that we readily buy up as quick as we can. The reality is that most items CAN be repaired. It's just more cost effective to buy a new one. Bicycles are just one item in the very long list.

I get that there are no shortage of people out there that hate BS bikes. And probably with good reason. But not everyone can afford to drive a Volvo. That's why Daewoo exists. They aren't as safe, and they don't last as long. But they get the job done at a fraction of the price.

What bugs me the most is the *****mongering of the brand names.
Likes For RayHenry:
Old 01-14-22, 09:24 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by sloppy12
Kids bikes in general IMO are all low end(I exclude BMX and racing exclusive bikes). only a few brands even remotely care about the kid riding the bike the rest care about a price point.
My favorite has been a Vitus brand one. It hasn't had any of the quality issues the Specialized MTB has and it is a lot lighter. Not "specialty light" kids bike, but more doable. Also, it came with click shifters instead of the rotary grip. My youngest had weak hands and couldn't rotate many of the rotary gear shifters.

Almost got a Frog, but the Vitus ticked the boxes for use and came in great.
Old 01-14-22, 09:25 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6212 Post(s)
Liked 4,211 Times in 2,361 Posts
Originally Posted by frogman
Nice smokescreen over N2deep. You didn't address his concerns at all. Instead a rant about how great your co-op efforts are. I agree with N2deep. We raise our kids and can't always afford the higher priced bikes and have to settle for a cheap model maybe even from Walmart (gasp!)
I did address his “concerns”. I realize that people can’t afford $2000 bikes for their kids and I’m not saying that they need to spend that much. Nor would Mac Liman. But the $100 bike today isn’t the same bike for which people paid $100 40 years ago. The “cheap model” from Walmart is a false promise and a false bargain. $100 for a bike that may not lost 1000 miles (or even 100) because it breaks is more costly than a bike that you pay 3 to 4 times as much but will last hundreds of times longer.

We get cheaper bikes from other stores besides Walmart all the time in our shop with problems/failures worse than the ones you are touting. It isn't fair to point the finger at just Walmart............. (We also get bikes in from co-op repairs that have to be re-done.)
Nice deflection there. Maybe your shop is different from every other shop I’ve been to but all the shops I’ve been to have turned away older bikes as not worth fixing. They won’t touch a Big Box store bike at all since it would be a losing proposition to try to repair one. At shop rates of around $70 per hour, it wouldn’t take long for a repair job to quickly cost more than the purchase price of the Big Box store bike. Co-ops are usually the only place where someone with a Big Box store bike can go to get it fixed or to fix it themselves.

And, frankly, I can’t think of anything on a bike that would be “worse than the ones [I’m] touting”. Perhaps a broken frame but no shop is going to fix that at all.

We use a constructive approach when getting in the cheap bikes needing work. Often we are able to upgrade the owner to a new bike with much better reliability. Results in a sale and a satisfied repeat customer. A win win situation.
Do you think co-ops don’t take a constructive approach to getting cheap bike to work? Not only is the approach constructive often it is innovative as we try to fix what retail shops can’t.

To be clear, I’m not faulting retail shops. I understand why they won’t even try to fix a $100 bike. If someone can only afford a Big Box store bike, they can’t afford the bill to fix it. If a shop were to try to fix it and end up charging them several times the cost of the bike, the customer isn’t going to be happy and they probably won’t come back.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 01-14-22, 09:28 AM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by livedarklions
Have you reported this defect to the CPSC?
No, I didn’t. Didn’t even think of doing that until you brought it up. I’ll try to be more cognizant of that in the future.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 01-14-22, 09:32 AM
sloppy12

Originally Posted by burnthesheep
My favorite has been a Vitus brand one. It hasn't had any of the quality issues the Specialized MTB has and it is a lot lighter. Not "specialty light" kids bike, but more doable. Also, it came with click shifters instead of the rotary grip. My youngest had weak hands and couldn't rotate many of the rotary gear shifters.

Almost got a Frog, but the Vitus ticked the boxes for use and came in great.
The grip shifts are terrible for little kids. maybe some of them can work the things but most cant. even if the throw is to far on a click type shifter they can still at least do that maybe awkward but its doable.
Likes For sloppy12:
Old 01-14-22, 09:41 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1018 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
Does the OP have a particular issue specifically with Walmart? Just sayin’ that it seems a little unfair to single out Walmart in this argument. They may be the biggest/most prolific among them, but many other department stores sell these bikes too. Besides Walmart, there is Target, JC Penny/Sears (where they still exist), and lots of local/regional department store chains.

Should this crusade also include sellers like Craigslist, ebay, and Facebook Marketplace, etc.? There’s no guarantee on the assembly/quality of bikes being sold on those outlets either.

Dan
Old 01-14-22, 09:44 AM
sloppy12

Originally Posted by _ForceD_
Does the OP have a particular issue specifically with Walmart? Just sayin’ that it seems a little unfair to single out Walmart in this argument. They may be the biggest/most prolific among them, but many other department stores sell these bikes too. Besides Walmart, there is Target, JC Penny/Sears (where they still exist), and lots of local/regional department store chains.

Should this crusade also include sellers like Craigslist, ebay, and Facebook Marketplace, etc.? There’s no guarantee on the assembly/quality of bikes being sold on those outlets either.

Dan
How can you forget Amazon? alexa is gonna change your thermostat settings and unlock your doors now.
Old 01-14-22, 09:47 AM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by RayHenry
This is a very interesting topic, and one that really has no end of arguments. I'll weigh in here as a father of 4, step-father of 2, and grandfather of 4. So I've seen my share of kids growing up on bikes. And lots of that done on box store bikes. First, not everything Wal Mart (insert your favorite hated box store instead) is complete junk. But a lot of it is. Assembly is another issue. Around here, it appears store are using employees to assemble, rather than a third party. So it's hit-and-miss on proper assembly around here.

When it comes to kid's bikes, longevity isn't all that much of a factor, as I've found the kids outgrow them before they wear them out. Keeping in mind that where I am, you really have only about 6 months riding season for most people. My kids all started on box store bikes that were more than reliable. In fact, my shed is home to a $25 BMX purchased on clearance at Wal Mart 12 years ago, for my youngest son. It's still rideable, the only thing I had to do was continually replace the rear tire once he discovered he could leave long black marks everywhere he went. My oldest daughter did her second 100km ride at the age of 10 on a BS bike (first was a year earlier on an old single speed 24" wheel coaster brake Glider, but that's a different story).

As my kids grew older, they went through both BS and LBS bikes. Many times I found LBS bikes spec'd the same as BS bikes for double the price. Yeah, the stickers on the frames were different, but that was it. And yes, I have to go through the BS bikes and set them up correctly. But $150 for a 20" CCM mountain bike at a box store and $300 for a Bonelli that was the same damned bike from the LBS, guess what I bought. Not all them were BS bikes, if I came found a deal within say 20% of the BS price at the LBS, I went LBS.

There are probably a million kids out there riding around on cheap BS bikes. I hear all the talk about kids getting hurt, bikes only lasting a month, etc. But what are the numbers on that? The real numbers, not someone just guessing because they don't like BS bikes or their kid trashed one. Real numbers. Without them, you're just playing Don Quixote. Prove to me how bad these bikes are. Show me that we need to demand these stop being sold. There are lots of kids growing up poor that would not be cyclists without a BS bike to start with. I'd bet many kids wouldn't know the thrill of owning a new bike (or any bike) if BS bikes didn't exist. And if you can't get them on a bike as a kid, it's pretty hard to get them on one as an adult.

Rather than try to control what box stores sell (we have far too many rules, regulations, restrictions and other controls in our lives today), perhaps the better choice is to set a required checklist when a bike is sold, to ensure the store is setting them up correctly. And perhaps requiring a notice to given if a bike has parts that cannot be replaced (I've yet to see a bike with parts that can't be at least substituted, but they may exist). And let the consumer decide what they want. If we demand the end of short-lived bicycles, where do we stop? Our lives are filled with disposable items that we readily buy up as quick as we can. The reality is that most items CAN be repaired. It's just more cost effective to buy a new one. Bicycles are just one item in the very long list.
It’s not a case of “letting the consumer decide”. It’s a case of the consumer is buying something that is defective because it has to be made as cheaply as possible to sell for the same price as bicycles sold for 40 to 50 years ago. There should be some standards applied. This idea isn’t to get ride of inexpensive bikes but to at least have them built to a standard that includes steel that is actually steel and not some mixture of metals masquerading as steel.

I’ve had to tell several people that their bikes can’t be fixed because the bottom bracket cup pulled apart inside the bottom bracket shell and can’t be extracted. They can’t ride the bike because the bearings in that same bottom bracket have been ground to dust in a few hundred miles. Instead of a bicycle, they now own a $100 object that will fetch them 25¢ at the recycle plant.

I get that there are no shortage of people out there that hate BS bikes. And probably with good reason. But not everyone can afford to drive a Volvo. That's why Daewoo exists. They aren't as safe, and they don't last as long. But they get the job done at a fraction of the price.
Your comparison is incorrect. Big Box store bikes aren’t Daewoo compared to Volvo. They are more like Yugo compared to a Honda Civic (the most reliable car ever made). The bicycles that Walmart sells today are nothing like the bikes they sold even 10 years ago. A 10 year old Pacific can actually be ridden with some expectation of reliability. A Pacific made and sold at Walmart within the last 5 years cannot. $100 isn’t cheap if it is wasted.

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 01-14-22, 09:47 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by RayHenry

There are probably a million kids out there riding around on cheap BS bikes. I hear all the talk about kids getting hurt, bikes only lasting a month, etc. But what are the numbers on that?
Well you know, my brother works with a guy whose neighbor's uncle heard about some kid somewhere that got impaled on his box store bike after it exploded. One month into riding it of course.
Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 01-14-22, 10:00 AM
epnnf

Bikes: 2016 Masi strada vita due, 2019 Kona Dew Plus

Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 55 Posts
The same arugment could be made for many other products besides bikes. Buyer beware.
Likes For epnnf:
Old 01-14-22, 10:10 AM
RayHenry
Legend In My Own Mind

It’s not a case of “letting the consumer decide”. It’s a case of the consumer is buying something that is defective because it has to be made as cheaply as possible to sell for the same price as bicycles sold for 40 to 50 years ago. There should be some standards applied. This idea isn’t to get ride of inexpensive bikes but to at least have them built to a standard that includes steel that is actually steel and not some mixture of metals masquerading as steel.
And once the bicycle issue is dealt with, are you going to target TV's? Coffee machines? What? Our homes are filled with cheap crap that fails prematurely and isn't worth repairing. All I can see you doing is denying cheap bikes to poor people. You haven't been able to substantiate that these bikes are dangerous enough to demand they be pulled off the market.

I’ve had to tell several people that their bikes can’t be fixed because the bottom bracket cup pulled apart inside the bottom bracket shell and can’t be extracted. They can’t ride the bike because the bearings in that same bottom bracket have been ground to dust in a few hundred miles. Instead of a bicycle, they now own a $100 object that will fetch them 25¢ at the recycle plant.
And? You know how many people I've had to tell over the years that their car isn't worth repairing? And "several" irreparable bikes out of millions sold sounds like pretty good odds to me.

Your comparison is incorrect. Big Box store bikes aren’t Daewoo compared to Volvo. They are more like Yugo compared to a Honda Civic (the most reliable car ever made).
That's your opinion. As a mechanic, mine is different.

The bicycles that Walmart sells today are nothing like the bikes they sold even 10 years ago. A 10 year old Pacific can actually be ridden with some expectation of reliability. A Pacific made and sold at Walmart within the last 5 years cannot. $100 isn’t cheap if it is wasted.
And? How many buyers of those bikes would be riding them if those bikes were 10x the quality anyway? Many buyers are already aware they are buying cheap disposable products. That's why they're at Wal Mart. For the cheap disposable products. And you can't tell me how many of those bikes can be ridden in 10 years. You can only guess at best.

Those BS bikes have their place, and I know many people riding them. Yes, even the $100 dollar ones. I've seen people buy them and ride them more than they expected. I've seen people lose half their body weigh by riding them, with minimal repairs. I'm bright enough to know that of all the people I know that are riding cheap BS bikes are only a small portion of those sold. But I'm also bright enough to see that of that small portion sold that I see, the value for the dollar is there in each and every case. Would they have a nicer ride, a faster ride, if they spend 4x or more the price at the LBS? Probably. But they bought what they could, and they are all getting their money out of them. Hell, if that BS $100 lasts 2 years, what's wrong with that? $50/yr for the benefits of riding. Cheap. And what about the ones that only last a month? I don't doubt they are out there, and pretty much any BS will take them back with failure that early.

Again, let's see the actual numbers on the danger and the premature failure of these bikes that prove they aren't worth purchasing or are a danger.
Old 01-14-22, 10:25 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6186 Post(s)
Liked 4,803 Times in 3,313 Posts
Is the intent to save lives or is it more that the intent is for lawyers to make themselves money?

If the desire is to save lives, then the OP's issue currently need less effort and the efforts of these people needing a cause should go to getting more people everyone vaccinated for COVID.
Old 01-14-22, 10:30 AM
RayHenry
Legend In My Own Mind

Originally Posted by Iride01
Is the intent to save lives or is it more that the intent is for lawyers to make themselves money?

If the desire is to save lives, then the OP's issue currently need less effort and the efforts of these people needing a cause should go to getting more people everyone vaccinated for COVID.
Evidently, we're not supposed to be discussing the jab/COVID here... :/
Likes For RayHenry:
Old 01-14-22, 10:45 AM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
Would not be winter time, without an extended conversation/arguments on the subject of affordable/cheap bikes that Wal-Mart and like sells.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.