Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Does anyone run tubes with sealant added?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 02-22-22, 12:26 PM
am8117

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 24 Posts

Now obviously there's the added weight, but adding a bit of sealant to inner tube inside a tire with limited to none puncture protection has to limit the number of road-side flat fixes necessary. In case of major cut it is easy to swap for fresh inner tube with little mess or difficulties making the beads seal.

Does anyone run this successfully? As in, would not know until replacing the tubes that the sealant did its job, but having genuinely good riding experience and fewer flats?
Old 02-22-22, 01:03 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,943 Times in 1,905 Posts
if the debris is not removed from the site of entry, the psi loss will likely be a constant ordeal. That is what history has taught me. Was it worth it, meh, it did save some time from patching/tubing it. I still had to pump it up & ensure it was sealed well enough before riding again. Once I got done riding, I swapped it out.
Old 02-22-22, 01:18 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2336 Post(s)
Liked 2,808 Times in 1,534 Posts
I have had mixed results. Had no luck at all with orange seal, biketubes thing butyl tubes, with vittoria g tires at 110 psi

I have had ok results (meaning the sealant has appeared to work several times) with caffee latex (30ml) in conti race tubes and conti gp5000 at 95 psi.....went 1700 miles before first real flat

how much pressure you run seems to make a big difference

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 02-22-22, 01:31 PM
RGMN

Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 153 Posts
Muc-Off makes some inner tube specific sealant. I have it in my commuter but since I haven't been going into the office I don't have too many miles on it and no punctures to test it. Road.cc did a review on it and found it works, but, like squirtdad said, the pressure you run makes a difference.
Old 02-22-22, 02:13 PM
2seven0

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 235 Times in 101 Posts
Yes I've been using @ an ounce of Stans NoTubes in my & my wife's bikes for the last several years (700cc x 25 & 28 road tires). It has saved me roadside tube changes at least 3 times. Most recent I noticed loss of pressure in my rear tire so I pulled off the road to change tubes. At @ 40 psi the pressure seemed to hold so I added a few pumps from my Lezyne and made it the remaining 12 miles home ok. Upon removal there was telltale sealant residue on the inside tire surface at the tiny puncture hole in the tube.
It won't prevent flats from cuts or large punctures but for small pinholes from thorns, staples and small wire brads (all of which I've removed before changing tubes and none had gone flat on the road) it works for me.
BTW re. the small weight increase I certainly can't tell.
Use tubes with removable cores and add the sealant before you install the tube. I use the Stans syringe with the spout trimmed back a bit to fit snug over the stem. Pour in desired amount then install the core & mount. So far my wife hasn't had a flat in over a year & the sealant is still viable.
Won't cost you much to try and one save is worth the $$$.
West
Old 02-22-22, 02:47 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 554 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
if the debris is not removed from the site of entry, the psi loss will likely be a constant ordeal. That is what history has taught me. Was it worth it, meh, it did save some time from patching/tubing it. I still had to pump it up & ensure it was sealed well enough before riding again. Once I got done riding, I swapped it out.
this has been the biggest issues. the last three times I could only find the thing after I took the tire off. rain does not help either.
Old 02-23-22, 05:42 AM
BikeLite

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 93 Posts
Because the tube is so stretchy (as opposed to a tire), sealant will only help so much. It's probably better to just get liners.
Old 02-23-22, 05:51 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
I've used Orange in latex tubes with decent results.
Old 02-23-22, 07:17 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 429 Posts
I don't. I use skinny 28s with high pressure.
Likes For andrewclaus:
Old 02-23-22, 11:40 AM
canopus 

Bikes: Road, Touring, BMX, Cruisers...

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 111 Posts
I never use sealant for tubes. If you need punture protection get a tire with it or a liner. I found sealant prevents you from patching the tube so its useless to me. Also tubes have powder in them which never mixes well with sealant. Carry a spare tube and a patch kit and pump.
Or, run tubeless with sealant.
1984 Trek 760
1981 Trek 710
Pics
Likes For canopus:
Old 02-23-22, 12:04 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4330 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts
I wouldn't add goo to anything unless it were a tubeless set up. If I am getting a lot of flats I will look at getting a more puncture protectant tire in a wider width as possible, make sure I am pumping my tires regularly to the recommendations (taking into account my weight and such) and doing my best to avoid really glass laden areas when possible. If that doesn't work I would look at something like Tannus Armor inserts which are a softer foam insert that goes around a smaller tube and gives you some extra protection without being rough and easy to move around like some older liners. However I find wider tires at the proper pressure lead to fewer chances of flats.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 02-23-22, 01:42 PM
soyabean

Quoted: 490 Post(s)
Liked 394 Times in 263 Posts
Some folks have had sealant blowback coming back up into their hand pumps, destroying them.

I'd rather have a good tire with a strong ply and sidewalls, a Mr.Tuffy, carry a spare tube, rather than some messy-ass goo.
Likes For soyabean:
Old 02-23-22, 02:04 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 995 Post(s)
Liked 1,203 Times in 689 Posts
That was the whole idea with Slime when it was heavily marketed back in the early 90's. I remember putting that stuff in tubes for customers fairly often, but it was mostly commuters and kids bikes while racers and enthusiasts felt it was too heavy and unreliable. I don't know exactly how different it is to tubeless sealant, but Slime does say they don't recommend their product for tubeless for fear of corrosion to the rim.
Old 02-23-22, 02:09 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4194 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
The only time I did runs sealant in a tubed bike was when touring in the Moab/Grand Junction/La Salle mountains area, as the chance of goat heads was a serious one. In a few hundred miles of motel/credit card touring no flats. This bike doesn't see much riding other than on tours so it pretty much sat for a year+ before I replaced the tubes and serviced the bike for more tours. Since then no flats (with no sealant). BTW the tires are Panaracer Pasellas with breaker belts molded in. Andy