Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

helping a friend learn

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

helping a friend learn

Old 03-22-22, 06:16 AM
MHunter91

Bikes: Mountain Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
helping a friend learn

a while back i realised my friend couldnt ride a bike and i was like "SACRE BLEU" impossible! and invited him over to try and help, i noticed he doesnt trust the bike and tries to pedal and either leans too much and falls ( hes 15 so he catches him self) or he half pedals then falls, he recently got a new bike and me and my friend were gonna try and help him learn on friday, so i wanted to see if there are any tips from this forum on learning to ride
Old 03-22-22, 06:40 AM
Herzlos

Bikes: Way too many

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 827 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 345 Posts
Lower the seat and take the pedals off, so it's like a large balance bike. Get him to "walk" the bike about for a while getting used to balancing, turning and stopping.

Then put the pedals back on and do the same thing but pedalling instead of walking. Then gradually lift the seat up to a better pedaling position.
Likes For Herzlos:
Old 03-22-22, 07:24 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
"That a boy. That a boy. Get your center. Get your center. How does that feel? Keep going. Keep going. Billy, keep your feet moving! You look great!"

Old 03-22-22, 07:38 AM
jrg1244

Bikes: 2010 Cannondale CAAD 5 Potenza 66cm, 1984 Basso Gap Nuovo Record 65cm, 1989 Cannondale ST Racing Triple 27", 1974 Schwinn Paramount Nuovo Record 26", 198? Scapin MKII 66cm Victory, 1994 Havnoonian Chorus 8sp 27"

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by Herzlos
Lower the seat and take the pedals off, so it's like a large balance bike. Get him to "walk" the bike about for a while getting used to balancing, turning and stopping.

Then put the pedals back on and do the same thing but pedalling instead of walking. Then gradually lift the seat up to a better pedaling position.

Pedals off is the answer. Only other advice is find a gentle downhill and let them coast downhill with no pedals to get the feeling, as many times as they need to in order to get the feeling of balance. I'd bet a coordinated adult would learn in a matter of an hour or less.
Likes For jrg1244:
Old 03-22-22, 08:02 AM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 2,019 Times in 1,055 Posts
Originally Posted by jrg1244
Pedals off is the answer. Only other advice is find a gentle downhill and let them coast downhill with no pedals to get the feeling, as many times as they need to in order to get the feeling of balance. I'd bet a coordinated adult would learn in a matter of an hour or less.
Motivated and coordinated person willing to fall down a few times? On a parking lot with a slight slope, 20 minutes.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 03-23-22, 09:02 AM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 622 Times in 346 Posts

Yup. Same way I taught my grandkids only on little bikes. They were both riding at age 4.
Old 03-23-22, 11:19 AM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Pfft! Take your friend to the top of the biggest, steepest hill in your neighborhood. Ditch him. He’ll come back; A) a bicycle rider. B) no longer your friend, or C) in a body bag.

In any case, he’ll either be a bike rider or he won’t matter anymore.
Likes For Kedosto:
Old 03-23-22, 01:46 PM
Pratt

Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 291 Posts
Maybe elbow and wrist guards like inline skaters wear.
Old 03-23-22, 02:32 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Mountain and BMX style bikes are probably easier to learn on. Especially those that have the saddle low enough for you to just put your feet down. A road bike will be more difficult and a true Time Trial bike the most difficult to start out on.... all IMO.
Old 03-23-22, 05:02 PM
sovende

Bikes: TNTL (Too numerous to list)

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 115 Posts
Originally Posted by Kedosto
Pfft! Take your friend to the top of the biggest, steepest hill in your neighborhood. Ditch him. He’ll come back; A) a bicycle rider. B) no longer your friend, or C) in a body bag.

In any case, he’ll either be a bike rider or he won’t matter anymore.
LOL. If I remember correctly, that’s pretty much how my Dad “taught” me how to ride a bike! I think that I might have wanted training wheels but he would have no part of that. The alley behind our house took a bit of a downhill dive just past our place. My Dad held the bike upright while I mounted then he shoved me and the bike down the alley. I survived but did have to push the bike back up the hill. It was kinda steep . After that, I knew how to ride a bike!
Old 03-24-22, 12:21 AM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 425 Posts

ANd don;t forget to YELL at him "Look where you're going !!!', as he starts heading for a wall, bushes, parked car, dumpster...
Ride On
Yuri
Likes For cyclezen:
Old 03-24-22, 06:24 AM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), 90's Giant Innova (now with drop bars), Yess World Cup race BMX, Redline Proline Pro24 race BMX Cruiser

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 127 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclezen
ANd don;t forget to YELL at him "Look where you're going !!!', as he starts heading for a wall, bushes, parked car, dumpster...
Ride On
Yuri
Actually "Look where you want to go!"
Likes For Viich:
Old 03-25-22, 12:28 PM
kahn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclezen
Ride On
Yuri
I was probably 10 or 11. My cousin took me to a paved school field. He was behind the bike keeping me somewhat balanced. Over and over and when I finally had a hint, he let go and as was heading toward the cyclone fence I kept yelling stop the bike, stop the bike as I HIT IT. I was then a bike rider. It is interesting thinking about it, that really all it takes is that once getting balanced and the balance is there. Then comes the braking and handling.