Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Can you reuse the KMC missing link several times?

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Old 12-15-21, 05:34 PM
AJW2W11E

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 50 Posts

My KMC chain needs a bath. Usually I roll it off the Chain ring and dangle the loose part it in a bottle of cleaner. This time I would like to take it off totally. They say you can only use the Missing Link once. Once you detach it, you need a new one. But they cost so much you might as well buy another brand new chain. Is it true you can use or connect the Missing Link once?

Last edited by AJW2W11E; 12-15-21 at 07:27 PM.
Old 12-15-21, 05:37 PM
grizzly59

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 262 Times in 164 Posts
I think there are 2 versions, one is reusable, and one is "one use only", or some such.
Old 12-15-21, 05:47 PM
darkhorse75

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
For singlespeed you can connect and disconnect at your pleasure. One missing link for the life of one chain.
Old 12-16-21, 06:17 AM
IAmSam

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 273 Times in 136 Posts
I do...
Old 12-16-21, 07:24 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
They can be re-used, yes. But as mentioned above there are some that are one-use only. The others can be used 3 to 5 times according to KMC. Check out the page below.

https://www.kmcchain.com/en/series/c...8s-7s-6s-speed

Last edited by TugaDude; 12-16-21 at 07:27 AM.
Likes For TugaDude:
Old 12-16-21, 07:49 AM
Moles

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
It seems they have a few different designs....

In addition to the three they show on their site, I've got a fourth type that was on the last two 1/8" KMC chains I bought. It's got an outer plate with two holes (not the long slot as pictured on the "single speed" page on the KMC site) and you seat the pins by flexing the chain slightly while pushing the plate on. I'm still not sure if it's reusable or not - I've figured out how to clean the chain while it's dangling from the chain stay anyway.
Old 12-16-21, 08:25 AM
TugaDude

Originally Posted by Moles
It seems they have a few different designs....

In addition to the three they show on their site, I've got a fourth type that was on the last two 1/8" KMC chains I bought. It's got an outer plate with two holes (not the long slot as pictured on the "single speed" page on the KMC site) and you seat the pins by flexing the chain slightly while pushing the plate on. I'm still not sure if it's reusable or not - I've figured out how to clean the chain while it's dangling from the chain stay anyway.
I suspect, based on their website, that they'd say that link is non re-useable. The "missing link" seems confined to KMC's multi-speed chains. And of course we can use the 3/32" multi-speed chains on SS and FG, but they are still considered multi-speed chains.
Old 12-16-21, 08:44 AM
IAmSam

Originally Posted by TugaDude
I suspect, based on their website, that they'd say that link is non re-useable. The "missing link" seems confined to KMC's multi-speed chains. And of course we can use the 3/32" multi-speed chains on SS and FG, but they are still considered multi-speed chains.
Jeebus...

https://www.kmcchain.us/Single-Speed...tors_c_52.html
Old 12-16-21, 09:37 AM
TugaDude

Originally Posted by IAmSam
Not sure what your point is. If it was to point out my mistake, then I guess you succeeded. Congratulations! The 1/8" single-speed connector shown is non re-usable according to the text.
  • KOOL Connecting Link for Heavy Duty Use
  • Non-Reusable
  • Perfect Combination w/ K710 & K710SL Series chains
Old 12-16-21, 10:07 AM
IAmSam

Originally Posted by TugaDude
Not sure what your point is. If it was to point out my mistake, then I guess you succeeded. Congratulations! The 1/8" single-speed connector shown is non re-usable according to the text.
  • KOOL Connecting Link for Heavy Duty Use
  • Non-Reusable
  • Perfect Combination w/ K710 & K710SL Series chains
Ok, keep up the good work. Ride safe...
Old 12-17-21, 02:58 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
I reuse them on any chain with quick links and I don't care what is or is not recommended. Never had one fail but I do always carry a spare.
Likes For Lazyass:
Old 12-17-21, 10:31 AM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 251 Posts
I'm one of those people that tends to believe a company's recommendation on how to use their product, especially if they offer two different versions of the same product, a single-use version and a re-usable version. Especially if it can adversely affect my safety, but that's just me.
Likes For drlogik:
Old 12-18-21, 02:48 AM
Lazyass

I'm one of those people who don't needlessly blow money.
Old 12-18-21, 11:32 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3580 Post(s)
Liked 3,393 Times in 1,927 Posts
Master links are really only required for riveted chains, for eight or more sprockets on a derailleur equipped bike. Chains for fixed gear/track bikes (1/8" width) are pinned together and can be opened at any place, using a chain tool to push the pin most of the way out and rejoined by pushing the pin back in place. A master link on such a chain is only a convenience, not a requirement.

N.B. older 3/32" wide derailleur bike chains are also pinned and don't need a master link, but only work with seven or fewer sprockets.
Old 12-18-21, 11:56 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Quoted: 949 Post(s)
Liked 1,617 Times in 1,038 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
I reuse them on any chain with quick links and I don't care what is or is not recommended. Never had one fail but I do always carry a spare.
Me Too... But Rats... Now I'm a thinking I better investigate this further. I use ChiCom made quick links that I buy five pair at a time. Really I have only had to replace them when I drop them in the grass and the grass gremlins take off with them. I now wonder which ones are best rather than most convenient...

Is this one of those subjects we have beat over before? What is the most reliable and safest "Quick Link / Master Link"?

Last edited by zandoval; 12-18-21 at 12:08 PM.
Old 12-18-21, 01:44 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 763 Times in 431 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Master links are really only required for riveted chains, for eight or more sprockets on a derailleur equipped bike. Chains for fixed gear/track bikes (1/8" width) are pinned together and can be opened at any place, using a chain tool to push the pin most of the way out and rejoined by pushing the pin back in place. A master link on such a chain is only a convenience, not a requirement.

N.B. older 3/32" wide derailleur bike chains are also pinned and don't need a master link, but only work with seven or fewer sprockets.
This is not the case with chains such as the KMC K1SL, which have mushroomed pins that cannot be reconnected.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 12-19-21, 03:51 AM
Lazyass

Originally Posted by zandoval
Me Too... But Rats... Now I'm a thinking I better investigate this further.
If you have the proper tool to remove them they'll be fine. The manufactures have to protect themselves from people who try to get them off with a pair of pliers or screwdriver or something and then reuse it with a bent side plate or damaged pin. Then try to sue or give bad reviews when their chain flies off and they claim it made them crash.
Old 12-19-21, 07:44 AM
IAmSam

Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie
This is not the case with chains such as the KMC K1SL, which have mushroomed pins that cannot be reconnected.
Uh-oh...this information kinda distresses me. I am a long time K810SL, which has become the skinny KMC K1SL, user. And I need another chain. I have broken and rejoined 810SL's a bunch of times - being careful not to push the pin completely out ala JohnDThompson's way. It is a pain thus my also using and reusing a couple of the quick-link style with a separate clip shown in the middle of zandoval's illustration. It has never been a problem but now you got me trying to compare the pins of both old and new versions of my chain and in stock google machine pics - they look the same. Should I be concerned about my other bike wearing a KMC K810SL that has been (mis?)treated this way at least a couple of times?

Ride safe
Old 12-19-21, 08:30 AM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Uh-oh...this information kinda distresses me. I am a long time K810SL, which has become the skinny KMC K1SL, user. And I need another chain. I have broken and rejoined 810SL's a bunch of times - being careful not to push the pin completely out ala JohnDThompson's way. It is a pain thus my also using and reusing a couple of the quick-link style with a separate clip shown in the middle of zandoval's illustration. It has never been a problem but now you got me trying to compare the pins of both old and new versions of my chain and in stock google machine pics - they look the same. Should I be concerned about my other bike wearing a KMC K810SL that has been (mis?)treated this way at least a couple of times?

Ride safe
Well, I can’t say that it absolutely won’t work, because I’ve never tried. The problem is not pushing the pin all the way out, which BTW is NOT what JDT is doing, but reinserting the pin into the plate where it was removed. The pin is mushroomed at the ends after assembly at the factory, which causes it to enlarge the hole in the plate when it is removed. Reinserting the pin results in further enlargement and deformation of the plate, leading to a less than optimal connection. I suggest you test your chain by holding it at the reconnection point with both hands on either side and flexing it sideways as you might do to loosen a tight link, and seeing if it holds together. If it stays together, then it is probably safe to continue using that chain.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 12-19-21, 09:58 AM
IAmSam

Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie
Well, I can’t say that it absolutely won’t work, because I’ve never tried. The problem is not pushing the pin all the way out, which BTW is NOT what JDT is doing, but reinserting the pin into the plate where it was removed. The pin is mushroomed at the ends after assembly at the factory, which causes it to enlarge the hole in the plate when it is removed. Reinserting the pin results in further enlargement and deformation of the plate, leading to a less than optimal connection. I suggest you test your chain by holding it at the reconnection point with both hands on either side and flexing it sideways as you might do to loosen a tight link, and seeing if it holds together. If it stays together, then it is probably safe to continue using that chain.
but...but...but...
using a chain tool to push the pin most of the way out

Anyway - I am going to double-check it...and rethink how I handle those chains too
Old 12-19-21, 11:34 AM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked 514 Times in 341 Posts

I use and reuse the first type here from Zandoval's post repeatedly on all my bikes from 12spd to 22spd and even old MTB's. Some have been on and off at least 24 times and only get replaced when the grass demons run off with them (per Zandoval). I knew there was something strange lurking in the lawn that stole bike parts. Now it's been confirmed. Thanks for the pics
Likes For SpedFast:
Old 12-19-21, 12:23 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Anyway - I am going to double-check it...and rethink how I handle those chains too
FWIW, I just checked the instructions that came with my K1SL Wide Chain (formerly K710SL), and it states "For your own safety, do not reuse chain pins after removal." It also designates the MissingLink Connector as "NON-REUSABLE."

Originally Posted by Dcv
Old 12-20-21, 09:29 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
I just don’t take the chain off until it’s ready to be retired. I clear dust and dirt off with a paper towel or chain brush after most rides and then use Boeshield when it sounds like it needs it. Eventually I take it off and replace it. Seems simple and it’s working well.

Otto

Last edited by ofajen; 12-21-21 at 07:50 PM.
Likes For ofajen:
Old 12-21-21, 06:08 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Quoted: 949 Post(s)
Liked 1,617 Times in 1,038 Posts
Man... Were not we just talking about this. I have reused my links as long as I can remember. In fact I did not know there were links you were not supposed to reuse. I musta put the MoJo on cause today at removing my chain I dropped the link on the concrete and on picking it up noticed a missing pin. Its an old SRAM but who knows?

Old 12-21-21, 07:32 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked 514 Times in 341 Posts
Originally Posted by zandoval
Man... Were not we just talking about this. I have reused my links as long as I can remember. In fact I did not know there were links you were not supposed to reuse. I musta put the MoJo on cause today at removing my chain I dropped the link on the concrete and on picking it up noticed a missing pin. Its an old SRAM but who knows?

Them little grass thieves are coming right up on the concrete now? At least they only took a small piece of it.
Likes For SpedFast: