Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Do you pack tools and a spare on your SS or Fixed?

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Old 02-27-21, 11:26 PM
5 mph

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 50 Posts

One of the reasons these bikes are so fun are they are so minimalist and light.
What can you put on a 17 pound bike?
In my case I bought some Schwalbe Marathon Plus Tires and put Mr. Tuffy Liners inside them, so I'm not packing a spare or pump.
You can't change those tires anyway, it takes an hour to mount them using 30 tie wraps.

All I carry is a 15 mm stub wrench, two hex wrenches, a cloth strap and tiny vise grips so I can disassemble, pull the tires and call my wife or a Uber.
If I'm in the mood, I use the cloth cord to tie to hang the bike from my shoulders and either jog or walk home.
Old 02-28-21, 07:39 AM
1incpa

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 14 Posts
On my fixed gear, I carry a 15mm box wrench/tire lever, a tube and a pump in a saddle bag.
I also usually have another tube in my jersey pocket just in case.
I haven't found the need for any more than that.
PI
Likes For 1incpa:
Old 02-28-21, 08:50 AM
Rage
Space Ghost

Bikes: Bridgestone, Fuji, Iro, Jamis, Gary Fisher, GT, Scott, Specialized and more

Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 411 Times in 317 Posts
I use the same tool roll regardless of the bike’s gearing.
Never know when you’ll run across someone needs a hand. Or a multi-tool.
Likes For Rage:
Old 02-28-21, 10:08 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 1,040 Times in 663 Posts
I always carry a spare tube, levers, patch kit, pump and 4,5,6mm hex and tiny 10 and 12mm box end.

Also, my bikes weigh a good bit more than 17 pounds anyway. 😊

Otto
Old 02-28-21, 10:57 AM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 431 Posts
It depends on which SSFG bike I'm riding and how far I'm going away from home. If I'm staying within walking distance from home and wearing walkable shoes, then I don't carry anything. Otherwise, I have a small under seat pack with a spare tube, CO2 inflator, tire irons, adhesive self-vulcanizing tire patches, and a 15mm wrench. On one of my bikes I have quick release skewers on my wheels, so I don't need the 15mm wrench.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 02-28-21, 03:01 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 1,040 Times in 663 Posts
Originally Posted by 5 mph
In my case I bought some Schwalbe Marathon Plus Tires and put Mr. Tuffy Liners inside them, so I'm not packing a spare or pump.
You can't change those tires anyway, it takes an hour to mount them using 30 tie wraps
Technology so advanced... it’s inconvenient? 😊

Otto
Old 02-28-21, 03:27 PM
IAmSam

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 273 Times in 136 Posts
Somehow I ended up with a bike with nuts, and a bike with bolts - I use several different small carry modes but this checks all my boxes and fits in all of them...

Old 02-28-21, 04:48 PM
tommymc

Bikes: Many, mostly old & low tech

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 11 Posts
Really kinda simple. If you ride further than you want to walk carry the stuff to get going again. Have cell phones changed this old idea?
Likes For tommymc:
Old 02-28-21, 05:41 PM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

Bikes: Wabi Classic

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 92 Posts
You can't change those tires anyway, it takes an hour to mount them using 30 tie wraps.

All I carry is a 15 mm stub wrench, two hex wrenches, a cloth strap and tiny vise grips so I can disassemble, pull the tires and call my wife or a Uber.
If I'm in the mood, I use the cloth cord to tie to hang the bike from my shoulders and either jog or walk home.
i have a small saddle bag that fits:
1. Probike Tool Mini Pump
2. Tube
3. 5mm Hex wrench for my wheels
4. bandana
5. driver Lic and. Credit card
6. pair disposable rubber gloves
7. cell phone
8. 2 Tire levers

Last edited by jay4usc; 02-28-21 at 10:54 PM.
Likes For jay4usc:
Old 02-28-21, 07:36 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
I'm not packing a spare or pump.
I ... either jog or walk home.
Then get different tires and a proper repair kit. What's the point of even riding a bike if you're limited to staying within walking distance from home?
Likes For Rolla:
Old 02-28-21, 08:22 PM
bykemike 

Bikes: 2017 BMC Roadmachine 01 Enve wheels, Sram red etap,Cinelli Vigorelli single speed, 2009 Cannondale Capo, 2016 trek Domane 6.9, disc and Di2, 2016 Scott Scale 710, 27.5 plus tires and boost rims

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 81 Posts
Because of my MTB interest I have acquired the backpack habit. Nice Osprey pack with a couple of tubes, co2, basic tools, a bladder, etc. It works for me to put in the basics for single speed rides, a half day on the MTB trails, and my current road bike.

I used to be concerned about having what I needed when I went for a ride, now I've go the bases covered , with one bag, for most of my riding days for whatever I may be riding. I can offer help to other riders and pick up litter I may find on the trail, especially if I'm off road.
When I ride I am almost always gone for 2 hours minimum and I can handle most any issue that may crop up.

I like my bikes light and spare, I don't mind a backpack though.
Old 02-28-21, 10:01 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4251 Post(s)
Liked 3,863 Times in 2,578 Posts
I usually keep my Trixie tool at all times on my Langster and when I ride it I usually carry my road kit which has Spurcycle Tool, Tube, CO2 and inflator and tire lever. I don't want nasty heavy tires with terrible tire liners so I can give myself the false impression I don't need tools. I am good on that. My little tool pouch is Topeak compatible so it slides on really quickly and easily and since my road bike and my Langster are the same tube size I don't need to change anything especially with the Trixie (but I also have wheels that can be removed with a hex key or 15mm).

If I was married and was going to call my wife then I would rather just have nicer tires, nice soft supple tires (but in those instances my wife would be on the ride with me because I wouldn't leave her at home and go riding without her because I love her dearly) The only time I might want a more reinforced tire is for nasty commutes or touring but even then never would I ever run a separate tire liner unless I got paid to do so and didn't have to actually promote the product. Just for notation purposes I am not talking about Tubeless set ups with foam dealys or anything like that but anything you would put between a tube and a tire.

Though if I had my ideal wife we would have a sweet custom built titanium tandem with the independent pedaling thing that DaVinci? does and maybe a Pinion drive and Rohloff with belt drive and plenty of tire clearance and room to carry bags and go touring and have all kinds of fun.
Old 02-28-21, 10:10 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4741 Post(s)
Liked 3,860 Times in 2,509 Posts
I put the same things in all my bike bags with small changes for specific parts and needs. Bags all get (2) tubes (as appropriate for those tires), patch kit, (2) tire irons, the needed Allen wrenches. Fix gears get a wrench for the rear hub. (Front is QR.) That wrench may be a peanut butter wrench, 6" Crescent or Pedros Trixie. If I have doubts about the wheels, a spoke wrench. Every bike gets a real frame pump because I like riding on the proper pressure and over 100 strokes gets old.

30 miles home is 30 miles home. Bike weight means little if it isn't ridable.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 02-28-21, 10:31 PM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,387 Times in 690 Posts
All of my bikes get at least one and preferably two spare tubes and some sort of multi-tool and tire levers; depending on the bike there’s either a vintage or a modern Zefal frame pump. Most of my bikes have a small under saddle bag for this.

My Gitane TdF is my only fixed gear with track nuts so an old Park 15mm peanut butter wrench goes in the bag. The Raleigh Competition and the Mercian Vincitore fixed-gears have q/r hubs and don’t need them. Because the Mercian is my long distance bike it usually wears the capacious Carradice Nelson with a larger Topeak Alien multi-tool in one side pocket and two tubes and a patch kit in the other.
Old 02-28-21, 11:23 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4251 Post(s)
Liked 3,863 Times in 2,578 Posts
For 40 grams (or .08 pounds) more than the weight of oneMr. Tuffys I could carry a spare tube. Add on another tube weight 95grams (or so) for a PDW 3Wrencho which has a 15mm and Tire lever and put it into a little SpeedSleev with a CO2 cartridge and inflator (or get a bottle cage mounted set up for that) and I really am not carrying much that much and add a bunch of weight or bulk. Just as an FYI.
Old 03-02-21, 12:00 PM
MixedRider

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
I have a saddle bag with a tube, CO2 pump, multi-tool, tire lever, $5, and a handwipe.
Only needed to use it a couple time, but glad I had it when I needed it.
Old 03-02-21, 12:11 PM
Dylansbob 
2k miles from the midwest

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 446 Posts
In my case I bought some Schwalbe Marathon Plus Tires and put Mr. Tuffy Liners inside them....

Damn dog, you're rig is 17lbs and you're running 10lbs of tires/liners/tubes....
Likes For Dylansbob:
Old 03-02-21, 02:01 PM
geeteeiii

Bikes: HVZ Meteor 1979, HVZ Champion 1962, HVZ SS Moskva80 1981, Dürkopp 1936

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 69 Posts
I have nothing with me usually, altough a 15mm wrench would be a good idea on longer rides, atleast i can pack it in a car trunk then. I like living on the edge with that tubular tire life.
Old 03-03-21, 01:17 PM
TurboTalon

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
Always a 15mm wrench, multitool, levers, tube and co2
Likes For TurboTalon:
Old 03-03-21, 03:57 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Likes For Gresp15C:
Old 03-06-21, 08:23 AM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 400 Times in 242 Posts
I always bring along the same "kit". Either in a fanny or compact backpack(for longer rides).
The only additional weight I carry on my bike(s) are the water bottle(s).
Old 03-07-21, 02:19 AM
jonathanf2

Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 428 Posts
On my SS bike I also have tire liners, so I stopped bringing a bike pump. I figure I could roll my bike to the nearest gas station air pump. On that bike I carry a spare tube, 1 tire lever, a 15mm wrench and 3 hex wrenches. On my geared bike I have an air pump, spare tube and my multi-tool.
Old 03-07-21, 10:24 AM
Mikefule

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 78 Posts
On longer rides, I take a spare tube, small pump, tyre levers and a dumbbell spanner (aka bone spanner) which is the shortest spanner I have that fits my wheel nuts. On shorter rides, I often risk it without.
Old 03-07-21, 01:47 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
My saddle bag always has at least one spare tube, multitool, and my PDW 3wrencho -- a combination tire lever and 15mm wrench. I keep a small Lezyne pump on the bike as well (bracket attaches via bottle cage mounts). That's pretty much all I need for most rides. Anything else can go in a jersey pocket if I'm wearing one, or my little hip bag if I'm not.
Likes For seau grateau:
Old 03-07-21, 11:19 PM
Symox

Bikes: '23 Poseidon Redwood, '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple, '12 Gravity Fixie, '21 Liv Rove 4, '06? Giant EB Spirit

Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 151 Posts
I just got the Pedro's "Trixie" tool and love it. I leave it on the bike using one of my water bottle positions (I have two)

https://www.amazon.com/Pedros-Multi-...5180520&sr=8-3

In my seat bag I carry a spare tube wrapped in an old sock (to wipe my hands in an emergency and to protect the tube), a tire lever, a Park preglued patch kit (its tiny and works great), two CO2 cartridges and a tiny CO2 inflator.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.