Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Trans America Trail The Eastern Third (video)

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-21, 06:31 PM
smudgy

Bikes: Miyata 1000, Trek 520, Surly Troll, Surly Cross Check

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 77 Times in 34 Posts

Despite the pandemic, I got in some touring this summer. Just wanted to share it with y'all through video. If you have the time with nothing better to do, check it out and let me know what you think.
Old 10-02-21, 06:41 PM
a_d_a_m

Bikes: 2021 Kona Sutra, Ragley parts-cycle

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 1,242 Times in 336 Posts
Just dropped a note on your YouTube channel; I'll say it again here - fantastic, and really looking forward to the GAP/C&O portion of your trip!

Your bike touring vids are bar-none the best I've found.

Last edited by a_d_a_m; 10-02-21 at 06:49 PM.
Old 10-02-21, 06:54 PM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 99 Posts
smudgy Glad to see you got some touring in this season. As always, fantastic footage and production. Thanks for sharing!
Old 10-03-21, 07:55 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 560 Posts
I thought I had previously replied, but don't see my reply so I'll try again...

Great job. I enjoyed reliving that section of the TA by seeing it via your video. It is a great intro for folks who want to get an idea of what the route is like. It captures the character of the route very well. Thanks for sharing.
Old 10-03-21, 06:28 PM
smudgy

Thanks you guys. I appreciate the support.
Likes For smudgy:
Old 10-03-21, 07:26 PM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

smudgy Did you ride the C&O/GAP yet? I wasn't sure from your closing if that was going to be a continuation of that tour directly or if you were going to take some time off. Thats a long trek if so.

On a bit of a side note - the route you did tackle/would tackle the GAP/C&O is part of a trip I am route planning at some point in the future (surely not this year, unfortunately). I am near the Ohio to Erie and remember you rode that last year or the year before, also. If you recall the towpath trail out of Massilon - the OTET goes North but that trail network goes South for quite a ways. There is another shorter trail that goes to the town of Jewett that you can connect up with. And there are a couple different routes between the Panhandle Trail out of Pittsburgh (westward thru WV to right about the Ohio River). A fair warning - there is a lot of elevation between Pittsburgh and Massilon. If you made it through the Appalachians on the TA, though, I'm sure you'll be fine.

Of course, the OTET would get you back down to the Ohio River in Cincinnati. When I rode it I crossed the Purple People Bridge and went down in to KY also.

In any event, lots of routing options. How ever you do it/did it - enjoy! As you said, a good way to cure "restless leg syndrome" is bike touring. If ya don't know what way to go - flip a coin. You're bound to find an adventure of one variety or another.
Old 10-04-21, 08:48 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
really nice camera work & editing. did you also do the drone work? do you carry a drone w/ you?
Old 10-04-21, 06:45 PM
smudgy

Originally Posted by KC8QVO
smudgy Did you ride the C&O/GAP yet? I wasn't sure from your closing if that was going to be a continuation of that tour directly or if you were going to take some time off. Thats a long trek if so.

On a bit of a side note - the route you did tackle/would tackle the GAP/C&O is part of a trip I am route planning at some point in the future (surely not this year, unfortunately). I am near the Ohio to Erie and remember you rode that last year or the year before, also. If you recall the towpath trail out of Massilon - the OTET goes North but that trail network goes South for quite a ways. There is another shorter trail that goes to the town of Jewett that you can connect up with. And there are a couple different routes between the Panhandle Trail out of Pittsburgh (westward thru WV to right about the Ohio River). A fair warning - there is a lot of elevation between Pittsburgh and Massilon. If you made it through the Appalachians on the TA, though, I'm sure you'll be fine.

Of course, the OTET would get you back down to the Ohio River in Cincinnati. When I rode it I crossed the Purple People Bridge and went down in to KY also.

In any event, lots of routing options. How ever you do it/did it - enjoy! As you said, a good way to cure "restless leg syndrome" is bike touring. If ya don't know what way to go - flip a coin. You're bound to find an adventure of one variety or another.
I did indeed finish my ride this summer. From Yorktown, my wife drove me to DC. Her dad lives in the DC area. So we visited dad and off onto the trail I went. From Pittsburgh I hopped on the Montour trail to the Panhandle trail and followed the Ohio River Scenic Byway to southern Illinois. I'm currently working on the video for the C&O/GAP (6 days of riding). I'm also working on a video for the Ohio R.S.B. (12 days of riding)
I got home from that ride with about 2 weeks to spare. So I took a ride on the Katy Trail in Missouri. That video is also coming (5 days of riding). It was a full summer of touring. What's next? Texas Hill Country in the spring? Maybe. Pacific Coast next summer? Sierra Cascades? TransAm from Astoria to Pueblo? I retire form teaching in 2 years. I want to ride to Alaska. I hope to see you on the road!!
Likes For smudgy:
Old 10-04-21, 06:56 PM
KC8QVO

Originally Posted by smudgy
I did indeed finish my ride this summer. From Yorktown, my wife drove me to DC. Her dad lives in the DC area. So we visited dad and off onto the trail I went. From Pittsburgh I hopped on the Montour trail to the Panhandle trail and followed the Ohio River Scenic Byway to southern Illinois. I'm currently working on the video for the C&O/GAP (6 days of riding). I'm also working on a video for the Ohio R.S.B. (12 days of riding)
I got home from that ride with about 2 weeks to spare. So I took a ride on the Katy Trail in Missouri. That video is also coming (5 days of riding). It was a full summer of touring. What's next? Texas Hill Country in the spring? Maybe. Pacific Coast next summer? Sierra Cascades? TransAm from Astoria to Pueblo? I retire form teaching in 2 years. I want to ride to Alaska. I hope to see you on the road!!
Awesome!

Ya know...
You're setting the proverbial "bar" quite high.

I, for one, am anxious for your continued trek documentaries. Keep up the excellent work. And do take good care of yourself in the process.
Likes For KC8QVO:
Old 10-21-21, 05:39 PM
bike eagle
Banned.

Bikes: Specialized Sequoia

Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 41 Posts
Wow, Paul. Your videos are my favorite bicycle videos on YouTube! Keep up the great work! Also, as a fellow southern Illinoisan, I especially enjoyed the parts in our home area (I moved to Texas 35 years ago, but still get back home as often as I can).

Thanks for bringing us along on your trips!
Likes For bike eagle:
Old 10-22-21, 06:08 PM
smudgy

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
really nice camera work & editing. did you also do the drone work? do you carry a drone w/ you?
Thanks. Yes I have a drone. I carry a Mavic Mini. It's under 250 grams. I'm studying to get my Part 107 Drone Pilot Card. Just stay out of restricted air space.
Likes For smudgy: