Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Do Want, Way Crazy Tool

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Do Want, Way Crazy Tool

Old 10-14-21, 12:58 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 251 Posts
I'm a firm believer that it's the Artist, not the brush that makes the painting.
Likes For drlogik:
Old 10-14-21, 12:59 PM
Andreescu

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I have exactly machine like in the video, this garman machine truing, radonaut-siemens. I have a dishing tools from park tool, when i use the dishing tool, the wheel is perfect centered, but when i put the wheel in the machine, tells me cuz is a little offset. Of course the machine is wrong. I need to offset wheel at 0 somehow and after truing the wheel, cuz i can't triung the wheel if it's offset on the screen. When it's centered on the machine it's not centered on dish tools or on bike. I hope you understand me. Sorry for my english. I know it's bad. Thank you very much.
Old 10-14-21, 01:01 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Is this the truing+ stand to beat all the others? I present the Radonaut from Cyclus:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8C3DPDWDO9g (it is in German)

Yeah it is over $6k and completely crazy and kinda ugly compared to P&K Lie or Aivee but whoooooooooooieeeeeeeeee it has a computer machine and shows you all the infos.
I don't *need* a $6,000 truing stand, but the way the computer machine keeps track of where you are on the wheel and remeasures the true as you go... a fellow could get used to that.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 10-14-21, 01:36 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 4,487 Times in 3,337 Posts
Originally Posted by Andreescu
Thanks for the reply. I have exactly machine like in the video, this garman machine truing, radonaut-siemens. I have a dishing tools from park tool, when i use the dishing tool, the wheel is perfect centered, but when i put the wheel in the machine, tells me cuz is a little offset. Of course the machine is wrong. I need to offset wheel at 0 somehow and after truing the wheel, cuz i can't triung the wheel if it's offset on the screen. When it's centered on the machine it's not centered on dish tools or on bike. I hope you understand me. Sorry for my english. I know it's bad. Thank you very much.
I think many of us were ogling the machine above, but don't actually own it.

It sounds like a configuration issue. I don't see in the video clip where/how one inputs data like the over locknut dimension, or rim width.

As I said, all that SHOULD be automatic as the machine has a roller on both sides of the rim, and both sides of the axle.

It could also be a Calibration issue. So, the machine does everything, but just needs calibrated.

Contact the manufacturer.
Old 10-15-21, 08:42 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1520 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by jccaclimber
That's a cheap rim to have 1 mm of variation as the rim rolls around. That said, every rim I've ever measured has some variation, usually a bulge or pinch near the weld/pin seam.
I'm tipping decent carbon rims would be quite uniform, at least until they're deformed by spoke tension.
Old 10-15-21, 09:23 PM
jccaclimber

Bikes: n, I would like n+1

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 108 Posts
Originally Posted by Kimmo
I'm tipping decent carbon rims would be quite uniform, at least until they're deformed by spoke tension.
That seems pretty reasonable, I've only measured aluminum rims and the manufacturing process is quite different between them.
Old 03-03-22, 07:21 AM
Andreescu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi. I own this device and I have some issues with it. please help me

at first when I used it it worked decently, but after a while it started to cause problems, not to see the sensors, when I attach the wheel to the device it doesn't see any sensor, neither the one from the hub, nor radial and axial, practically the stand cannot be used. I sent an email to ra-co service a few weeks ago and no one answered. I think it's something from the settings, but I don't know what to do with it. I can't attach pictures of the problem because I'm new here, please if you know how to help me, because I don't know what else to do. thanks a lot
Old 03-03-22, 08:34 AM
bboy314

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 328 Posts
at first when I used it it worked decently, but after a while it started to cause problems, not to see the sensors, when I attach the wheel to the device it doesn't see any sensor, neither the one from the hub, nor radial and axial, practically the stand cannot be used. I sent an email to ra-co service a few weeks ago and no one answered. I think it's something from the settings, but I don't know what to do with it. I can't attach pictures of the problem because I'm new here, please if you know how to help me, because I don't know what else to do. thanks a lot
I doubt anyone here has a lot of experience with this machine (but maybe I’ll be proven wrong). I would contact the manufacturer. Hopefully at that price it comes with good support!
Old 03-03-22, 09:55 AM
Andreescu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bboy314
I doubt anyone here has a lot of experience with this machine (but maybe I’ll be proven wrong). I would contact the manufacturer. Hopefully at that price it comes with good support!
thanks, I can send you pictures of the problem, on wattup or wherever you think, to see the problem better. thanks for the answer and I hope to solve it, I sent an email and no one answered. I don't know how to contact them. I appreciate your effort.
Old 03-03-22, 10:06 AM
bboy314

Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 328 Posts
thanks, I can send you pictures of the problem, on wattup or wherever you think, to see the problem better. thanks for the answer and I hope to solve it, I sent an email and no one answered. I don't know how to contact them. I appreciate your effort.
To be clear, is it the Cyclus Radonaut machine you are having problems with? If so, I don’t think I can help.
Old 03-03-22, 10:25 AM
Andreescu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To be clear, is it the Cyclus Radonaut machine you are having problems with? If so, I don’t think I can help.
Yes. Cyclus tool radonaut. it's exactly the same. I want to send you some pictures, where can I send them to you? I can't because I'm new to this forum. thanks a lot.
Old 03-03-22, 10:39 AM
Andreescu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes. Cyclus tool radonaut. it's exactly the same. I want to send you some pictures, where can I send them to you? I can't because I'm new to this forum. thanks a lot.
I am a bicycle mechanic at davelo bike in Romania . My boss bought this machine a year or so ago. at first it worked properly, but it started to cause problems, sometimes it sees the sensors and sometimes it doesn't, and now it doesn't see the sensors at all. it was used very little and I don't know what happened.
Old 03-03-22, 11:09 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 495 Times in 342 Posts
I liked how the technician turned just one spoke about a quarter turn, then later a half turn on another, and one more spoke with a half turn. Done! It's that easy!!
Old 03-03-22, 11:37 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 928 Post(s)
Liked 1,594 Times in 1,020 Posts
Thanks for this thread. These Gizmos are super nice and bring me to understand new facts.

Not long ago I was buying a complete Wheel Set for what would now be the cost of a Hub. Well I am showing my age and I don't think money will be worth any more then it is now no matter what we do. The other thing is, often when you pay someone to do a job they are not doing it any better then you could or would.

So considering the cost of truing, replacing, and by economic necessity, building my wheels, I am going to have to invest or build a real Wheel Truing Stand.

And here I was thinking I was getting fancy when I got my Spoke Tension Meter... Ha
Old 03-06-22, 12:13 PM
Andreescu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello. did you manage to solve something? I would like to know how to reset it from the factory. maybe that would solve the problem
Old 03-06-22, 02:14 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4742 Post(s)
Liked 3,860 Times in 2,509 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...thanks. I find it very entertaining that the guy in the demo video for a $6,000 wheel stand is using the same spoke wrench as me.
That's just plain wrong. Spoke wrenches build wheels, not the stand. The tool needs to cost at least 1-5% of the the dumb apparatus that holds the work in place. (Think carpenter and his skill saw and the sawhorse.) He needs a $60-300 wrench.
Old 09-17-22, 07:57 AM
Andreescu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello. did you manage to solve something? I would like to know how to reset it from the factory. maybe that would solve the problem
hei. Some information ? Can you help me please
Old 09-17-22, 11:05 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4251 Post(s)
Liked 3,863 Times in 2,578 Posts
hei. Some information ? Can you help me please
Hey Andreescu I don't know if anyone here has knowledge on that machine, I simply stated I wanted one and still do. Aside from reaching out to Cyclus tools or other high end shops in Europe who might have one, I don't know where you would get decent help. I have a feeling probably nobody on this forum has one, I think we all are just drooling over it. However if you were tired of it send me a private message and let's talk (you might need to post two more messages in order to do that but that is easy for someone who works in a shop because you probably love bikes enough to talk about them with other people)

If you are looking to keep it, good luck and I hope you can find help and I wish I had one that I could run through to help out but they stopped making it and wouldn't sell one to me.
Old 09-17-22, 12:10 PM
Andreescu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Hey Andreescu I don't know if anyone here has knowledge on that machine, I simply stated I wanted one and still do. Aside from reaching out to Cyclus tools or other high end shops in Europe who might have one, I don't know where you would get decent help. I have a feeling probably nobody on this forum has one, I think we all are just drooling over it. However if you were tired of it send me a private message and let's talk (you might need to post two more messages in order to do that but that is easy for someone who works in a shop because you probably love bikes enough to talk about them with other people)

If you are looking to keep it, good luck and I hope you can find help and I wish I had one that I could run through to help out but they stopped making it and wouldn't sell one to me.
can you give me your facebook, where can i give you some photo with my problem ?
Old 09-17-22, 12:24 PM
Andreescu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
That's just plain wrong. Spoke wrenches build wheels, not the stand. The tool needs to cost at least 1-5% of the the dumb apparatus that holds the work in place. (Think carpenter and his skill saw and the sawhorse.) He needs a $60-300 wrench.
for 10 post.
Old 09-17-22, 12:30 PM
Andreescu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I attached some photot with my problems with this machine radonaut

Old 09-17-22, 10:33 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4251 Post(s)
Liked 3,863 Times in 2,578 Posts
can you give me your facebook, where can i give you some photo with my problem ?
Number 1 I don't use Facebook and never have and never will. Secondly I cannot help you with your problem. Like I said I have an interest in owning that machine (or having my shop own it) but I know very little about it and have never used one or seen one aside from their catalog and your pictures.

I wish I could help I truly do but I have zero experience with that machine or any machine like it if one were to exist. I would reach out to Cyclus and see if they can help, I know it might be tough to reach them but I did at one point through whatever point of contact I found on their website or through their form so they did at one point respond but sadly that is about all I can do is mention that.
Old 09-18-22, 02:04 AM
jccaclimber

Bikes: n, I would like n+1

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 108 Posts
Reaching out to the manufacturer is your best bet. After that I’d start digging around through the menus and see if there’s a way to home or rezero the device sensors. If you haven’t tried it, I would also unplug and restart it without a wheel in case it walks a homing procedure on startup.
Past that you’re into finding someone decent with electronics to see if those sensors are putting out expected values. A DMM should do, no oscope needed.

If those options fail, you might try posting this in a hobbyist machining forum. A lot of those guys are familiar with the quirks of maintaining outdated or unsupported industrial controls. It may be a bit tricky to get their interest, but that’s where I’d go. CNCZone is a maybe, along with homeshopmachinist. I would stay off of practicalmachinist as they don’t tend to look favorably on topics as far outside of their core topics.
Old 09-18-22, 03:02 AM
Andreescu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jccaclimber
Reaching out to the manufacturer is your best bet. After that I’d start digging around through the menus and see if there’s a way to home or rezero the device sensors. If you haven’t tried it, I would also unplug and restart it without a wheel in case it walks a homing procedure on startup.
Past that you’re into finding someone decent with electronics to see if those sensors are putting out expected values. A DMM should do, no oscope needed.

If those options fail, you might try posting this in a hobbyist machining forum. A lot of those guys are familiar with the quirks of maintaining outdated or unsupported industrial controls. It may be a bit tricky to get their interest, but that’s where I’d go. CNCZone is a maybe, along with homeshopmachinist. I would stay off of practicalmachinist as they don’t tend to look favorably on topics as far outside of their core topics.
I tried the ones listed above and it didn't work, I couldn't find anything in the settings to give it a total restart. thanks for the answer and advice.
Old 09-18-22, 03:17 AM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Liked 2,277 Times in 1,099 Posts

Has the machine worked for you previously or did you just get the machine and are trying to make it work? I am just speculating, but since the display is reporting multiple sensor issues, I'd guess there is a failure of a power supply to them or the analog input board they report to. Whatever it is, it is something common to all the sensors. I would try to contact the manufacturer as suggested.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.