Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Ohio To Erie detour beginning June 2022

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-22, 02:21 PM
a_d_a_m

Bikes: 2021 Kona Sutra, Ragley parts-cycle

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 1,242 Times in 336 Posts

For those planning to complete OTET this year, as an FYI, there is a long-term closure of OTET in the Little Miami section near Kings Mills. Grandin Road, specifically. This starts June 2022 and lasts 7 months.

https://www.miamivalleytrails.org/li...e-grandin-road

There is no official detour, but here's the best I can figure out: https://goo.gl/maps/syZUoFvjbafdiU516 / https://goo.gl/maps/YbPYfj1MnH2jVPM79
I am not local to the area so I can't speak to how safe these routes are.
Likes For a_d_a_m:
Old 03-29-22, 03:56 PM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 99 Posts
I am not familiar with the specific route, however I grew up right next to rt 48 along another part of it and am familiar with that route in general. I have family in that area of the state still (N of Cinci). There are a lot of areas around there that most people would consider "rural". However, with the population density of Cinci and Dayton the areas that you might think of as "rural" are actually quite busy with traffic. Add rt 48 in the mix and you have a "rural highway" - as in high traffic highway.

For as short of a run along 48 that is in that detour you posted I would consider it, but I would be very wise to the traffic issue.

Another consideration along that route - if you are camping down there - is the only 2 legal places you can camp are Morgans Canoe & Camp in Morrow on the north side and Jim Terrrell Park in Milford on the south side. That puts your "detour" right in the middle of those 2 camps = on a normal riding day that would fall right in daylight hours. Depending on how one plans their trip and does their miles - I suppose if they were fast and light and got up before daybreak to hammer the miles quick they could get through that detour early in the morning.... that's not my riding style and from that perspective - the detour would be in the middle of my day.

The side roads through the "country" down there can be quite busy. For example - the roads around Morgans Canoe & Camp get pretty high traffic. I suppose part of that comes with the road bridge that crosses right there at the camp - that is the only place for a good ways for vehicles to cross the river. But it does bring up the consideration that the "country roads" down there combined with the population density of that area of the state (dayton and cinci vicinity) = expect a lot of traffic.

The rural/country roads I've rode there are around Dodds, Greentree Corners, and Red Lion to the north. The people there don't take kindly to cyclists on the roads and the roads have 0 shoulder space. That is a recipe for disaster. The detour is closer to Cinci so rider beware...
Likes For KC8QVO:
Old 03-29-22, 06:24 PM
a_d_a_m

Bikes: 2021 Kona Sutra, Ragley parts-cycle

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 1,242 Times in 336 Posts
I suspect that is part of why there's been no 'official' detour posted.

Last year, when they had the LMST shut down at Monkey Bar & Grille, there was a very detailed and easy to follow official detour.