Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Texas Tuner Shop Boycotted After Owner Posts Video Rolling Coal On A Cyclist

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Texas Tuner Shop Boycotted After Owner Posts Video Rolling Coal On A Cyclist

Old 04-26-22, 11:38 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4558 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
That's an incredibly stupid and reckless thing to do in Texas right about now. If you're familiar with a significant change in Texas law in September 2021, you'll understand why it behooves drivers to treat cyclists, pedestrians and everyone with common civility and respect.

Violent crime has spiked about 60% in the DFW area since 2019, including my immediate neighborhood.

Traffic fatalities have increased at least that much due to negligent, reckless and hostile driving, and that doesn't include the road rage shootings.

Poking a grumpy critter in this climate is about as stupid as it gets.
Old 04-27-22, 06:12 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,094 Times in 1,311 Posts
Originally Posted by Shimagnolo
You are correct on CO. Oddly, the state law prohibits doing it, but not modifying the vehicle to enable it.

https://leg.colorado.gov/bills/sb17-278
Very odd indeed that there is no penalty for modifying the diesel to "burn coal" and even more odd that the penalty is a paltry $100. I bet there is zero enforcement.

What gets my goat is the lack of enforcement for textaholics.....they are the ones killing us. I accepted many decades ago that some motorist hate me on the road and that the cops are not going to do anything to help, even if there are laws broken. Having coal rolled on me does not get my panties all bunched up. Someone drifting over the center lane at me while texting? Like on this Sunday's ride? That chaps my butt. Or the grudge pass that comes very close.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 04-27-22, 07:58 AM
ahsposo 
Artificial Member

Bikes: Retrospec Judd, Dahon Boardwalk, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6730 Post(s)
Liked 5,441 Times in 3,198 Posts
Did using your inhaler help?
Likes For ahsposo:
Old 04-27-22, 06:46 PM
Kat12

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked 378 Times in 278 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
That's an incredibly stupid and reckless thing to do in Texas right about now. If you're familiar with a significant change in Texas law in September 2021, you'll understand why it behooves drivers to treat cyclists, pedestrians and everyone with common civility and respect.

Violent crime has spiked about 60% in the DFW area since 2019, including my immediate neighborhood.

Traffic fatalities have increased at least that much due to negligent, reckless and hostile driving, and that doesn't include the road rage shootings.

Poking a grumpy critter in this climate is about as stupid as it gets.
I've always wondered why it is that the road-rage nutters never meet up with each other. Certainly statistically, they would have to at least sometimes? (Or is it that they do, and one's just faster on the draw and so the other plays innocent after the fact?)
Old 04-28-22, 01:48 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4385 Post(s)
Liked 4,496 Times in 3,008 Posts
Never understood road rage. One road rage guy was driving all over the place then a few miles up the road he was getting a ticket. People were beeping telling road rage guy something as the traffic cop laughed. The guy was red as a ripe tomato.
Old 04-29-22, 10:51 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by TakingMyTime
Regardless of any legal issues, environmental or criminal... The act just shows how immature the driver is. Yes, when I was 15 years old I might have thought it was funny without any prescience of mind as to what I was actually doing and the potential consequences.
Especially when the entire purpose of "rolling coal" is to envelop in a large cloud of black, toxic smoke people who are just minding their own business. The entire purpose of it is to be a colossal d**k to someone else.

If there's any consolation at all it's that the current price of $5 or more a gallon for diesel fuel makes "rolling coal" an expensive thing to do.
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 04-29-22, 11:01 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by Kat12
I've always wondered why it is that the road-rage nutters never meet up with each other. Certainly statistically, they would have to at least sometimes? (Or is it that they do, and one's just faster on the draw and so the other plays innocent after the fact?)
Probably because deep down they're secretly cowards, so when they begin to rage at each other they back off because they don't want an actual fight.
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 04-29-22, 11:31 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
Seems to be much to do about nothing.

I have asthma and hate diesel smoke. I carry a rescue inhaler just in case.

RPG? Drones? Guns? For a little smoke..............

The woke are crazy

Look, people are joking about that. I wouldn't do business with the guy after that, though. It's an assault, I don't do business with people who think it's funny to assault people. If that's unduly "woke" in your eyes, I don't care.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-29-22, 12:55 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,909 Times in 1,884 Posts
wasn't there to witness it, but it might be worthy of careless or reckless driving ticket. Back to driving school & immediate impound of vehicle might lurnz dem somethins.
Old 04-29-22, 07:54 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1063 Post(s)
Liked 771 Times in 499 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Look, people are joking about that. I wouldn't do business with the guy after that, though. It's an assault, I don't do business with people who think it's funny to assault people. If that's unduly "woke" in your eyes, I don't care.
Late as usual to the PARTY, but I had a Rolling Coal cause a total BLACK OUT just like a blizzard WHITE OUT and I was fortunate that I didn't ride off the road or hit something. As for me, it was an ASSAULT worthy of lock-up and then have the driver go looking for the key engulfed in a cloud of diesel exhaust
Likes For OldTryGuy:
Old 04-30-22, 05:05 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by Troul
wasn't there to witness it, but it might be worthy of careless or reckless driving ticket. Back to driving school & immediate impound of vehicle might lurnz dem somethins.
This is absolutely an assault. This is the same as randomly spraying people with mace or any other noxious chemical. It's also probably a driving offense, there's no problem charging him with both. I believe this guy is going to find himself facing charges since he's admitted that's him in the video.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-30-22, 05:19 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 806 Post(s)
Liked 1,612 Times in 764 Posts
Here in SC, laws regarding diesel fuel system modifications and rolling coal seem to only apply to commercial vehicles. However, a recently passed law states SECTION 56-5-3445.It is unlawful to harass, taunt, or maliciously throw an object at or in the direction of any person riding a bicycle. A person who violates the provisions of this section is guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction, must be fined not less than two hundred fifty dollars or imprisoned not more than thirty days, or both.

Some moron rolled coal on me while I was riding. Little did he know I have GoPro cameras on my bike (front and rear facing) that managed to catch the entire incident, and got a clear shot of his license plate before being obscured by black smoke. That video was forwarded to the local sheriffs department, who stopped by my house a few weeks later to let me know the offender had been identified and fined, and told that his next offense would mean 30 days in the clink.
Old 04-30-22, 06:57 AM
Comfort is King

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 22 Posts
I thwarted another coal roller last summer on my first day of a bike tour, just before my first big break. As always, I have three metal water bottles. And as always, I controlled the lane when there's two lanes in each direction, a turning lane, no shoulder, and minimal traffic. I try stay alert for those people, and when a heavily modified diesel truck got right behind me as to intimate instead of passing, I got out a bottle, held it out for him to see, then held it in the ready-to-throw position. He tried to coal roll me, but didn't start until he was out of range, which proved ineffectual, because I swerved around the cloud. Then I made a visual display of my victory to rub it in. Good times!

I wish there were a way to know if a truck has been modified to roll coal just by looking at it. That way I could preemptively strike one in a parking lot

Last edited by Comfort is King; 04-30-22 at 12:20 PM.
Likes For Comfort is King:
Old 04-30-22, 12:14 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Quoted: 1524 Post(s)
Liked 1,513 Times in 906 Posts
I went for my second Critical Mass ride last night; we had to be ~200 people on the Arcata Plaza. The first incident was a youngish man on his rather spiffy motorcycle, who evidently wanted to join us, as he drove (slowly, at least) to the center of the plaza where the most people were. No one was amused so he drove back onto the street and proceeded to spend the next 10 or so minutes speeding around the plaza, doing wheelies, and generally behaving in a "Look at me, I'm cool! I'm so cool! Aren't I cool? Please like me!" manner. It was kind of embarrassing, really.
Then we started to move out, which involved riding in big, boisterous, happy circles in the streets around the plaza a few times. That's when the douch-bro truck roared by; I'm not sure if he was trying to roll coal but something went wrong, or if he just wished he could; either way, his efforts were met with initial loud boos, which dissolved into hilarity, because we were having such a good time. Okay, so some were having more of a good time than the rest of us, but we had a great ride anyway.

As for the rest of this thread, it is entertaining to watch people feed the Please, keep it up!
Old 04-30-22, 01:50 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,909 Times in 1,884 Posts
Originally Posted by Bald Paul
Here in SC, laws regarding diesel fuel system modifications and rolling coal seem to only apply to commercial vehicles. However, a recently passed law states SECTION 56-5-3445.It is unlawful to harass, taunt, or maliciously throw an object at or in the direction of any person riding a bicycle. A person who violates the provisions of this section is guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction, must be fined not less than two hundred fifty dollars or imprisoned not more than thirty days, or both.

Some moron rolled coal on me while I was riding. Little did he know I have GoPro cameras on my bike (front and rear facing) that managed to catch the entire incident, and got a clear shot of his license plate before being obscured by black smoke. That video was forwarded to the local sheriffs department, who stopped by my house a few weeks later to let me know the offender had been identified and fined, and told that his next offense would mean 30 days in the clink.
An actual useful law... that's CRAZY!
Old 05-01-22, 11:39 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 436 Posts
Rolling coal will eventually end when all motor vehicles become electric- including pickup trucks. By that time, self-driving technology will also prevent bad drivers from trying to harass vulnerable road users.
Old 05-01-22, 04:41 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2131 Post(s)
Liked 1,639 Times in 822 Posts
What a world class prick. If he had done that to me, I would have paid him a visit.
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 05-01-22, 05:53 PM
homeless in ca.

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 41 Posts
I hope he gets sued.
Old 05-04-22, 10:42 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4558 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
I wouldn't expect to see widespread adoption of laws protecting cyclists from malevolent drivers, including rolling coal. We're in a bizarro world in which a guy can randomly shoot an unidentified something in the dark making noises, murder a young woman who was laughing about a fart, and face no criminal charges, and get away with it because "he thought it was a panther."

As a responsible gun owner who believes in armed defense against legitimate threats, I find this horrifying.

I haven't ridden my bicycle outside since October, due to persistent vertigo from COVID-like symptoms that lasted for months. And at this rate I'm not sure I'll ever ride outside again. I do walk a lot, jog and even run short distances on good days. But the more reckless, negligent and outright hostile driving I see in my area while I'm out walking and jogging, the less inclined I am to risk a pleasant bike ride.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 05-07-22, 06:23 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked 315 Times in 210 Posts
A friend of mine and his wife are serious cyclists, all three of us have been car-free cyclists at times (by choice) so we've pretty much seen it all. An interesting story on the topic of rolling coal happened with these two. My bro and I were watching YouTube videos and came across one filmed by the passenger in a diesel pickup truck chugging up a mountain pass during some kind of cycling event where dozens of cyclists spaced pretty far apart were winching themselves up the paved mountain road at what looked like walking speed in the video.

The driver must have been a professional coal-roller because he nailed every cyclist perfectly as he passed them over the course of a couple miles. I guess the wind was just right or something but nearly every cyclist disappeared behind a thick black cloud as they got passed. My bud and I were dying laughing along with the two hillbillies in the truck. His wife eventually came over to see what was so funny and freaked the hell out, scolded us, and became just generally infuriated at the scene in the video.

The reason I bring this up is to illustrate how a situation can differ depending on the tender sensibilities of the people involved. Of course I don't have any breathing disorders that would make that scene less funny but had I been there in person getting rolled I would have given those dudes a freaking trophy.

When I throw my leg over that top tube and press down on a pedal heading into auto traffic land, I kinda expect the worst. Just so long as nobody actually HITS me with a solid object, it's just all part of the program. It is difficult to infuriate me because I AM THE ONE RESPONSIBLE for putting myself into those situations with FULL KNOWLEDGE that sooner than later, I'm going to be "assaulted" out there.

Cycling around motor vehicles SUCKS. If you can't handle a little smoke, perhaps find another pastime. Otherwise you will likely be sad a lot of the time. IMO.
Old 05-08-22, 05:35 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by JoeyBike
A friend of mine and his wife are serious cyclists, all three of us have been car-free cyclists at times (by choice) so we've pretty much seen it all. An interesting story on the topic of rolling coal happened with these two. My bro and I were watching YouTube videos and came across one filmed by the passenger in a diesel pickup truck chugging up a mountain pass during some kind of cycling event where dozens of cyclists spaced pretty far apart were winching themselves up the paved mountain road at what looked like walking speed in the video.

The driver must have been a professional coal-roller because he nailed every cyclist perfectly as he passed them over the course of a couple miles. I guess the wind was just right or something but nearly every cyclist disappeared behind a thick black cloud as they got passed. My bud and I were dying laughing along with the two hillbillies in the truck. His wife eventually came over to see what was so funny and freaked the hell out, scolded us, and became just generally infuriated at the scene in the video.

The reason I bring this up is to illustrate how a situation can differ depending on the tender sensibilities of the people involved. Of course I don't have any breathing disorders that would make that scene less funny but had I been there in person getting rolled I would have given those dudes a freaking trophy.

When I throw my leg over that top tube and press down on a pedal heading into auto traffic land, I kinda expect the worst. Just so long as nobody actually HITS me with a solid object, it's just all part of the program. It is difficult to infuriate me because I AM THE ONE RESPONSIBLE for putting myself into those situations with FULL KNOWLEDGE that sooner than later, I'm going to be "assaulted" out there.

Cycling around motor vehicles SUCKS. If you can't handle a little smoke, perhaps find another pastime. Otherwise you will likely be sad a lot of the time. IMO.

I'm with your friend's wife on this--that's an incredibly stupid post. No one on the road is consenting to be assaulted just by virtue of being on the road. I get that I can expect this a-hole behavior, but that doesn't mean I have to take it without protest or recourse.
And yeah, if you find video of a bunch of people being gassed funny, there's something wrong with you.
Old 05-08-22, 08:21 AM
Daniel4

"There is no law in the arena. Many are killed." Shiek Ilderim

We hope to see you again.
Old 05-11-22, 06:02 PM
Daniel4

Rolling coal will be phased out by the manufacturer.

Likes For Daniel4:
Old 05-19-22, 02:09 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Quoted: 1524 Post(s)
Liked 1,513 Times in 906 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4
Rolling coal will be phased out by the manufacturer.

https://youtu.be/PgEJBJgPn-Y
Oh goody, stealth semis.
Old 05-19-22, 05:42 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4271 Post(s)
Liked 4,706 Times in 2,906 Posts
This rolling coal thing just seems like ****ting in your own bed to me. I grew up in the industrial north of England and my grandfather, who worked in the mills, suffered with respiratory issues from breathing that kind of **** all day. It was pretty much the norm for his generation. Yet some people actually think it's cool to chug out thick black smoke from their bro-truck.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.