Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Aches/pains/challenges when you started??

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-08, 11:30 AM
steve-in-kville 
Warehouse Monkey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts

Here's the background to the question: I am 30 y/o. I was diagnosed with high blood pressure over a month ago. Doc tells me to start some type of cardio training or go on meds. I've got three months to fix the problem on my own.

I started walking, then running, then chose to cross train in cycling. I've been doing the walk/run thing for 5 weeks and brought the new bike home last week. Been out on two 6+ mile rides so far. My lower body aches and my rear is sore like yoy wouldn't believe (or maybe you know all about it!!)

Now I haven't been active since high school and found I was really out of shape when I started walking. I've already noticed some weight loss and my energy levels and metabolism are through the roof. But even after a brief 1 mile run or a short three mile ride I ache all over and wonder of I'm going at this too fast.

I ask this question here since many of you roadies got started later in life and went through the born-again stage of riding. How much pain is too much? How much should I increase my milage per week? I enjoy the bike and I enjoy running (walking is even relaxing... listing to my tunes on the ipod).

Would love to hear your story about your start in cycling.... especially in your upper 20's, low 30's.

Thanks!!
Old 08-18-08, 11:37 AM
04jtb

Bikes: 1983 Dawes Galaxy, 2006 Raleigh Airlite, 1982 Sun Solo (fixed)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Back pain, needed to be more flexible

Give the saddle a while and the rear sore may get better- or you may need a new saddle.
i jam my thumbs up and back into the tubes. this way i can point my fingers straight out in front to split the wind and attain an even more aero profile, and the usual fixed gear - zen - connectedness feeling through the drivetrain is multiplied ten fold because my thumbs become one with the tubing.
A group for all Dawes Galaxy owners to give and recieve information about them
https://flickr.com/groups/dawes_galaxy/
Old 08-18-08, 11:43 AM
ggg300
Burnin' and Lootin'

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by steve-in-kville
Here's the background to the question: I am 30 y/o. I was diagnosed with high blood pressure over a month ago. Doc tells me to start some type of cardio training or go on meds. I've got three months to fix the problem on my own.

I started walking, then running, then chose to cross train in cycling. I've been doing the walk/run thing for 5 weeks and brought the new bike home last week. Been out on two 6+ mile rides so far. My lower body aches and my rear is sore like yoy wouldn't believe (or maybe you know all about it!!)

Now I haven't been active since high school and found I was really out of shape when I started walking. I've already noticed some weight loss and my energy levels and metabolism are through the roof. But even after a brief 1 mile run or a short three mile ride I ache all over and wonder of I'm going at this too fast.

I ask this question here since many of you roadies got started later in life and went through the born-again stage of riding. How much pain is too much? How much should I increase my milage per week? I enjoy the bike and I enjoy running (walking is even relaxing... listing to my tunes on the ipod).

Would love to hear your story about your start in cycling.... especially in your upper 20's, low 30's.

Thanks!!
Nice work so far...and welcome

The taint will hurt for a few till you get more miles in...get bike shorts or bibs and ask you LBS to let you try out other saddles till you get one that fits...

For you back...get some core work in and do some abb work. When you feel the back pain coming get off the bike and work it out...

And last: Did you have a bike fit?
Old 08-18-08, 11:44 AM
jasandalb
C3 H6 O3 ACID

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First off congrats on the biking ...you love it!!!! I felt sort of the same when I started.....it takes a little bit to get used to the saddle. Please tell me you have padded lycra or some sort of padded shorts. If not, make that a priority. Dont worry about feeling goofy riding in "spandex". I put shorts over them my first two rides then realized I was the guy looking like a tool. My neck and shoulders hurt the first few rides...that's because I wasnt used to being in the drops and had to build those muscles up. My goal each ride was to go a little bit farther each ride and get a little bit faster (my average speed increase).
With some good stretching and mix in some weights you'll loosen those muscles up. But the best things is to get out and ride to get those muscles accustomed to your new found passion!
Old 08-18-08, 11:53 AM
dallasmike

Bikes: 2005 Trek 1000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
28 years old. Started riding again back in May. Did 3 short rides the first week 12-10-7miles and my arse was a little sore the first week or so. I got into cycling to lose weight and improve fitness. I have knee problems that do not allow me to run for extended periods of time.

If you are on a road bike, make sure you have all the proper attire, i.e. shorts, helmet, etc. There are a few threads that address the "what I need to get started".

I have been adding about 10%/ week to my longest rides, although due to daylight my weekday rides are somewhat similar.

If you have the appropriate attire and you are fit correctly to your bike, the pain will go away within a couple weeks as your body adjusts to the new things being demanded of it.

If you have any specific questions regarding what I did and where I'm at now, please don't hesitate to send a PM with anything you would like to know. I would be happy to help in any way I can.

Good luck!!
Old 08-18-08, 12:03 PM
Daytrip
Medicinal Cyclist

Bikes: 2003 Klein Q Carbon Race; 2009 Giant OCR-1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After you get a few more miles under your belt, the pain goes away and you start to feel great. Then it's time to push a little harder. By that point, you almost welcome the new pain because you know overcoming it is going to make you stronger.

On the blood pressure, don't be afraid of the medication, if it comes to that. I'm 50 and get plenty of aerobic exercise, but you can't always beat your genetics. That little pill I take every morning with my oatmeal doesn't have any impact on my life, other than probably extending it by a decade or two.
Old 08-18-08, 12:04 PM
Ed in GA
The "now retired" Old Guy

Bikes: Trek Madone 4.5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by steve-in-kville
My lower body aches and my rear is sore like yoy wouldn't believe (or maybe you know all about it!!)

Thanks!!
When I started back riding in early July on a borrowed bike, I experienced the same pains as you. I was wearing a pair of athletic shorts while riding and told my wife I wasn't going to buy/wear any of those silly looking bike pants.

When my butt/crotch starting hurting badly, she conviced my to try a set of properly padded bibs. Walla, pains went away.

If you're not wearing good riding shorts/bibs, go to you LBS and get some ASAP. Some of your pains may quickly dissappear. If you are wearing them, the saddle may just be wrong for you.

Anyway, at a point, those pains will go away. You'll probably discover some new pains where you didn't know you could get pains.
"The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"
Old 08-18-08, 03:17 PM
bryce_atx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You've been at this for a week, doing an activity your body has never done before. You're going to be sore for a while. I got my bike 4 years ago when I was 26.

Your ass is going to hurt at first. So will your legs, your back, your arms, your neck and shoulders, and maybe your hands.

Your ass might hurt for two reasons: 1) your sit bones will feel bruised and 2) you might experience some chafing. Your sit bones will adapt, and after a month or two you won't even need padded shorts for short rides. The chafing may go away as you lose some weight off your thunder thighs and the chub rub goes away. It might not (you might not even have big legs to begin with). Try some chamois cream (it's a lotion that you rub on your ass or in your shorts, sounds gross but damn it makes longer rides so much more comfortable). Assos is a great brand, but if that's too expensive, try the Performance Bike house brand.

Your legs will adapt pretty quickly, especially if you don't push your weekly mileage too much. I think I adapted to cycling much faster than I adapted to running. Try to do one or two short rides during the week, and a longer ride on the weekend. Try not to increase your weekly mileage more than 10% week over week. So something like Tuesday/20min, Thursday/20min, Sunday/40min. That's 80 minutes of riding this week, so increase to 88 minutes next week, so on so on. Try to spin the pedals and not mash a big gear. That will help with the muscle soreness.

I remember my neck, shoulders, and hands really hurting from my position (road bike). This just takes time. After a while you'll get used to it, but if it's too uncomfortable to ride then you need to go to a shop or a fitter and explain your situation. Your position will change over time as you adapt and get in better shape.

What's your height and weight? If your BMI is pretty high then you might not be able to tolerate a ride of more than 6 miles right now, but as your butt gets used to the saddle and your cardiovascular system starts to adapt, you'll soon find yourself easily doubling that distance. Also, the less you weigh the less weight is on that ass, and that will also increase your comfort. Less of a gut means it's easier for you to ride in the drops, which means that you'll be more aerodynamic and it'll be easier for you to breathe. When I started riding, my gut would bang against my thighs when I rode in the drops.

It'll be easier for you to ride for two hours than to run for two hours. Get your heart rate up, and keep it up, and you'll soon see those pounds melt away (assuming you can keep your diet in check; don't raid the fridge after your long ride, that's one of my hardest hurdles).

Good luck. It's hard now, but just remember that habits don't make themselves.
Old 08-18-08, 03:47 PM
KiddSisko
Has coddling tendencies.

Bikes: 2008 Blue RC8 w/ '09 Rival

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 8 Posts
I do have a cushy seat compared with most road seats, this because I don't ride with the padded shorts. Even with that seat padding the rump region will hurt for the first few rides. After a time (everyone's different, so there's no specific number of miles), the tissues toughen up and the pain subsides.