Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Any problem with adding Park lube to the factory hub grease

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Any problem with adding Park lube to the factory hub grease

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-22, 06:25 PM
MyRedTrek

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 27 Posts
Any problem with adding Park lube to the factory hub grease?

Brand new bike with 0 miles on it, do you see any potential problem with adding PPL-1 lube in with the factory grease?

Last edited by MyRedTrek; 04-19-22 at 06:54 PM.
Old 04-19-22, 07:08 PM
Bmach

Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 162 Posts
No idea but why? I’m curious.
Old 04-19-22, 07:58 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4349 Post(s)
Liked 3,986 Times in 2,661 Posts
Why? There is literally no need to do that on a brand new bike. The only reason I might consider swapping grease is if I was a sponsored rider and had a grease company I was sponsored by but I would have team mechanics and it would all be paid for but it would still be silly. Unless there is actually an issue with the factory grease I would always leave it alone till I need to do it. The PPL-1 is pretty generic grease nothing special anyway so not like there might be a slight benefit and especially not adding more grease to something probably already properly greased.
Old 04-19-22, 08:00 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
As a general rule I wouldn't mix grease types. Many are compatible but some aren't. If the factory grease seems adequate leave it alone until it's time for a complete overhaul or clean the factory grease out completely and regrease with the lube of your choice.
Old 04-19-22, 08:04 PM
MyRedTrek

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Why? There is literally no need to do that on a brand new bike. The only reason I might consider swapping grease is if I was a sponsored rider and had a grease company I was sponsored by but I would have team mechanics and it would all be paid for but it would still be silly. Unless there is actually an issue with the factory grease I would always leave it alone till I need to do it. The PPL-1 is pretty generic grease nothing special anyway so not like there might be a slight benefit and especially not adding more grease to something probably already properly greased.
It's an essentially new Walmart bike I happen to have had sitting in my garage that I'm giving to someone and I'm not inclined to just trust the Walmart setup on it, so I'm going through it and putting in what I know to be decent grease and making sure there's enough of it.

I take it you have no knowledge of any issue with combining grease then?

Last edited by MyRedTrek; 04-19-22 at 08:08 PM.
Old 04-19-22, 08:13 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Originally Posted by MyRedTrek
It's an essentially new Walmart bike I happen to have had sitting in my garage that I'm giving to someone and I'm not inclined to just trust the Walmart setup on it, so I'm going through it and putting in what I know to be decent grease and making sure there's enough of it.

You are overthinking this bike don't put much time or money into it, they certainly didn't but someone did purchasing it at some point/ If there is grease in the hubs I wouldn't bother use that grease for other things if there isn't grease go for it have fun but I doubt there is no grease in there and even if it is cheap grease it is fine enough for the quality of that bike.
Old 04-19-22, 08:28 PM
MyRedTrek

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Originally Posted by MyRedTrek View Post

You are overthinking this bike don't put much time or money into it, they certainly didn't but someone did purchasing it at some point/ If there is grease in the hubs I wouldn't bother use that grease for other things if there isn't grease go for it have fun but I doubt there is no grease in there and even if it is cheap grease it is fine enough for the quality of that bike.
Let me worry about how much effort I put into it - so you have no awareness of any problem with combining lubes, great.
Old 04-19-22, 08:37 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,024 Times in 723 Posts
just go for it. Plenty of times I give bikes like that a quick once over and think nothing of putting a couple extra squirts of grease in there, usually there isn't enough to begin with as you suspect. Sometimes it does necessitate cleaning the bearings if you're going through the process, spin the axle, if it doesn't sound gritty then undo the cones enough to get a squirter in there, wipe the cones and edge of the seal, add squirts and move on. Obviously, if it sounds gritty pull it apart, clean it and regrease or you really will just be wasting time. Personally I think every bike deserves an equal amount of care regardless of source or cost, it isn't about the value of the bike but understanding its about making it as good as it can be for the person who will use it, ignore the naysayers and have fun rehabbing it.
Likes For Russ Roth:
Old 04-19-22, 10:30 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6218 Post(s)
Liked 4,217 Times in 2,364 Posts

There shouldn’t be any issue with combining greases. They are all essentially the same and will mix readily.

As for HelMart bikes, the amount of grease used in them is about the equivalent of what you could rub off a teenager’s nose. Seems like a lot but it really isn’t.

Other prophylactic measures I would take would be to replace the bottom bracket or at least the bearings. The bearings and cups are made of slagnesium which has all the strength of wet toilet paper. I’ve seen a number of bottom brackets in the co-op where the cups pull apart when you try to remove them. Makes it seem like the cups are cross threaded but they really aren’t. Bearings often come out as hemispheres

Hubs and headsets don’t seem to be much of a problem in my experience but they have more of a sheen of grease than actual grease in them.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 04-19-22, 11:17 PM
MyRedTrek

Originally Posted by cyccommute
There shouldn’t be any issue with combining greases. They are all essentially the same and will mix readily.

As for HelMart bikes, the amount of grease used in them is about the equivalent of what you could rub off a teenager’s nose. Seems like a lot but it really isn’t.

Other prophylactic measures I would take would be to replace the bottom bracket or at least the bearings. The bearings and cups are made of slagnesium which has all the strength of wet toilet paper. I’ve seen a number of bottom brackets in the co-op where the cups pull apart when you try to remove them. Makes it seem like the cups are cross threaded but they really aren’t. Bearings often come out as hemispheres

Hubs and headsets don’t seem to be much of a problem in my experience but they have more of a sheen of grease than actual grease in them.
I haven't gotten to the bracket yet, I've been dealing with the hubs. There was brown grease in there though the amount seemed a bit sparse to me. I lubed up the hubs and the freewheel. The dishing on the rear wheel was off, spoke tension was all over the place - stuff like this is exactly why I'm going through it, amazing they sell bikes in that kind of adjustment. However I will say the rims do true up pretty nicely.

It's been sitting for around three years but I don't think the spoke tension would change that much with -0- stress being put on it.
Old 04-20-22, 07:25 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 581 Times in 409 Posts
Park PPL-1 is a polyurea grease which while a very good cycling grease is actually one of the worst when it comes to mixing. Mixed with a typical lithium based grease it can result in hardening or softening and other issues not critical to most cycling. Mixing would not be done in professional industrial maintenance w/o knowing the original grease and insuring the compatibility.
Old 04-20-22, 07:46 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
It's been sitting for around three years but I don't think the spoke tension would change that much with -0- stress being put on it.
It didn't change over time. It was just as poor three years ago as it is now. When an entire bike sells for less than $100 at retail, how much careful assembly can you expect?
Likes For HillRider:
Old 04-20-22, 08:20 AM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

I haven't gotten to the bracket yet, I've been dealing with the hubs. There was brown grease in there though the amount seemed a bit sparse to me. I lubed up the hubs and the freewheel. The dishing on the rear wheel was off, spoke tension was all over the place - stuff like this is exactly why I'm going through it, amazing they sell bikes in that kind of adjustment. However I will say the rims do true up pretty nicely.

I have no love for bikes coming from HelMart. They are poorly made and not good candidates for refurbishment unless you want to add more money to them than they cost in the first place.

But, since you have it, do the best you can. What you are seeing is fairly commom.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 04-20-22, 08:26 AM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by easyupbug
Park PPL-1 is a polyurea grease which while a very good cycling grease is actually one of the worst when it comes to mixing. Mixed with a typical lithium based grease it can result in hardening or softening and other issues not critical to most cycling. Mixing would not be done in professional industrial maintenance w/o knowing the original grease and insuring the compatibility.
Industry has much more severe demands than bicycling. Higher temperatures, heavier loads, longer duty cycles, etc. For a bicycle, it won’t matter for a couple of reasons. First is the light duty demands that bicycles have. The second one is that there is so little grease in HelMart bikes that any added grease will dilute the old grease to ppb (parts per billion) levels.

Old 04-20-22, 08:56 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 581 Times in 409 Posts
Industry has much more severe demands than bicycling. Higher temperatures, heavier loads, longer duty cycles, etc. For a bicycle, it won’t matter for a couple of reasons. First is the light duty demands that bicycles have. The second one is that there is so little grease in HelMart bikes that any added grease will dilute the old grease to ppb (parts per billion) levels.
I am not familiar with today's big box store bikes but would not doubt what you say for a second; as a Schwinn rider in the '50s I recall trying to help my buddy keep his JC Higgins on the road.
Old 04-20-22, 09:24 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
I would add the grease. It is also a nice gesture to want the bike to function as well as possible. Good for you.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 04-20-22, 09:38 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1609 Post(s)
Liked 2,589 Times in 1,224 Posts

I'm surprised you found any grease in there, lol. I put together a bunch for a Christmas giveaway and found that just a dab goes on any of the bearings. In that case I'd say go for it.
Likes For curbtender:
Old 04-20-22, 02:18 PM
MyRedTrek

I have no love for bikes coming from HelMart. They are poorly made and not good candidates for refurbishment unless you want to add more money to them than they cost in the first place.

But, since you have it, do the best you can. What you are seeing is fairly commom.
Originally I was going to use it as a spare for when my Giant was being worked on but I discovered it was too small for me and it was too late to return it. Worked out well because I ended up getting a Trek Verve2 as a second bike and like it better than the Giant so now the Giant is the spare.
Old 04-20-22, 08:28 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Let me worry about how much effort I put into it - so you have no awareness of any problem with combining lubes, great.
Ok you have fun with that but I don't really see a need to mix lubes. Can you do it, sure but it is a lot of effort for not a huge reward on that front.
Old 04-20-22, 08:52 PM
MyRedTrek

Originally Posted by HillRider
It didn't change over time. It was just as poor three years ago as it is now. When an entire bike sells for less than $100 at retail, how much careful assembly can you expect?
$100?? I'll have you know this is a $119 model - I went for the fancy ride!

Old 04-21-22, 01:59 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3884 Post(s)
Liked 6,479 Times in 3,205 Posts
any problem adding Park lube to factory hub Grease?
I don't worry about grease mixing issues. I bought some nos Miche cartridge bearing hubs on eBay. They're beautiful, but I thought they needed some grease. After all, they're a couple decades-old. So I added what I had on hand which was Park. Zero issues.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 04-22-22, 01:45 AM
MyRedTrek

The second one is that there is so little grease in HelMart bikes that any added grease will dilute the old grease to ppb (parts per billion) levels.
The pedals felt really stiff and crunchy when turned by hand. When I got the bottom bracket apart there was just a hint of some kind of lube like someone wiped a greasy finger once around the bearings and then slapped it together - too tight. Some bits also fell out which I assume to be shavings from machining the internal threads and there was grit sticking to the little bit of grease that was there. Unbelievable. When I cleaned the bearings, cup and cone and twisted the components holding them together dry before re-lubing they felt way smoother than they did previously.

I also found the black paint on the handlebars, stem and front fork had gotten dull on the top for some reason. Keep in mind this bike has been sitting in a garage the whole time, it's not like it's had sunlight beating down on it. The area under the grips is still bright and shiny. When I cleaned and prepped it to hit it with Rustoleum I found the factory paint is also pretty thin, I broke through to bare metal very quickly in certain spots with a moderate application of 400 wet/dry to rough up the surface.

I sure am glad I committed to give the bike a going over. What I'm seeing is that it's not so much that the bike components are terrible but the assembly of them which is also vitally important is really slipshod.

Basically if you get a Walbike you need to look at it as a bunch of parts that it's your responsibility to finish. Of course I doubt many people who get these bikes for kids or themselves are going to have the tools to do all this or even be aware of the assembly issues. Obviously the bikes could last a lot longer if they were just put together right.

I mean c'mon, attaching the pedals at a 90 degree angle from each other??

Okay they didn't really do that.

Last edited by MyRedTrek; 04-22-22 at 03:27 AM.
Likes For MyRedTrek:
Old 04-22-22, 08:10 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3505 Post(s)
Liked 2,924 Times in 1,774 Posts
Unbelievable.
Really? Unbelievable??

Actually, completely believable. And expected.

Sorry. There used to be a time when respectable bike shops wouldn't even touch such a POS. I agree with a lot of the others here. Why would you even have spent the money on this, even as a "spare?" And you bought it without knowing if it was your size? And you had it long enough--knowing it wasn't your size--to be out of the return period?? Something is fishy here.

I was 18 when I got into bikes, and thought about what I could do to "improve" my cherished Sears Huffy 10-speed. Took me about 5 minutes to realize it would be a waste of my time, and I started to research what constituted a good bike. And I loved that Huffy.

Hey, it's your bike, and you can keep putting as much lipstick on it as you can, if that's what you enjoy. But please, if you have any humanity, please don't foist this POS on someone else.

Last edited by smd4; 04-22-22 at 08:33 AM.
Likes For smd4:
Old 04-22-22, 09:45 AM
MyRedTrek

Originally Posted by smd4
Really? Unbelievable??

Actually, completely believable. And expected.

Sorry. There used to be a time when respectable bike shops wouldn't even touch such a POS. I agree with a lot of the others here. Why would you even have spent the money on this, even as a "spare?" And you bought it without knowing if it was your size? And you had it long enough--knowing it wasn't your size--to be out of the return period?? Something is fishy here.

I was 18 when I got into bikes, and thought about what I could do to "improve" my cherished Sears Huffy 10-speed. Took me about 5 minutes to realize it would be a waste of my time, and I started to research what constituted a good bike. And I loved that Huffy.

Hey, it's your bike, and you can keep putting as much lipstick on it as you can, if that's what you enjoy. But please, if you have any humanity, please don't foist this POS on someone else.
Fishy? Lol. You think some conspiracy is afoot?

It seemed okay when I first sat on it in the store, but it wasn't until I finally got around to attempting to test ride it that the issues became apparent.

Hey my Giant Cypress DX which is the correct size for me seems "off" to me now in comparison to my Trek - I like the geometry on the Trek better.

But please, if you have any humanity

Dramatic much?

It wouldn't be "expected" to me since I've never taken a deep-dive into working on a Walmart Bike before. I haven't done a hardness test on the bearings or cup/cone or looked at the grain under a microscope etc. but the components seem mostly okay. The spokes and cables are made of stainless, the bearings seem identical to my Trek and Giant. The frame seems as solidly built. It's steel so it's heavier for the size but I would also expect it to be strong. They're going to be riding around the local area not randonneuring. If they don't beat the hell out of it I imagine they could get many miles out of it now that the issues I've mentioned are being addressed. My one question mark are the twist shifters which are a bit chintzy but they work. I'm lubing them with silicone grease, they might be fine for a long time. If they eventually break they can be replaced with better ones.
Old 04-22-22, 09:54 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4

So I assume you took your cherished and loved Sears bike and cut it up as to not foist it upon the rest of humanity.

I had a Sears Free Spirit and reached the same conclusion that you did. I didn’t cherish and love it, although I did ride it to the ‘84 Olympic Road Race. I sold it at a garage sale and have no idea what happened to it.

There have been reports that even a Walmart bike will give some years of service if properly maintained.

I mean it’s not like the OP is a gamer and wasting hours staring at a screen.

John

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.