Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Chain length and detergent

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 06-29-22, 07:23 AM
alij2018

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Hi. I have 2 questions.

I run a 10s Deore drivetrain. My cogs are 11-42 and chainring is 30T round. My current chain length is 108 links which works fine. I am upgrading my chainring to a 32T oval. I want to know what will be the required chain length I must use? If it was 32T round, I would use 110 links based on a chain length calculator. But now, it's oval. I don't see any calculator including oval chainring which is a different design. So, I cannot determine what will be the required number of links. Will it be 110 links as I would use for a round chainring?

Second question on bike washing. I used Decathlon bike cleaner. But I see I'm wasting money. I used bathing soap in water before to wash my bike. It worked great. So, do you think any bathing soap or dish washing detergent are good to clean bike?

EDITED: I run x1 drivetrain.

Thank you.

Last edited by alij2018; 06-29-22 at 10:30 AM.
Old 06-29-22, 07:30 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
Q1: See this. TL;DR, the chain ring shape (oval v. round) shouldn't affect the chain length, just the number of teeth.

Q2: a few drops of dish soap in a gallon of water will work fine. Just make sure to rinse the bike really well, as some dish-soaps are rumored to have salts in them to aid in grease removal.
Old 06-29-22, 09:51 AM
KerryIrons

Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 622 Times in 346 Posts
Originally Posted by alij2018
Hi. I have 2 questions.

I run a 10s Deore drivetrain. My cogs are 11-42 and chainring is 30T round. My current chain length is 108 links which works fine. I am upgrading my chainring to a 32T oval. I want to know what will be the required chain length I must use? If it was 32T round, I would use 110 links based on a chain length calculator. But now, it's oval. I don't see any calculator including oval chainring which is a different design. So, I cannot determine what will be the required number of links. Will it be 110 links as I would use for a round chainring?

Second question on bike washing. I used Decathlon bike cleaner. But I see I'm wasting money. I used bathing soap in water before to wash my bike. It worked great. So, do you think any bathing soap or dish washing detergent are good to clean bike?

Thank you.
You may not need any more links, since 2 more teeth means you "need" a half inch more chain, and if you have that much slack in the system then no more chain is needed. Remember, only half of the chain ring (or cassette cog) is engaged at any time.

In the US at least, Dawn dish soap is the go-to brand.
Old 06-29-22, 09:58 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1792 Post(s)
Liked 1,671 Times in 955 Posts
I use car wash soap when I want to clean my bike. It is formulated to not be harmful to paint
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 06-29-22, 10:10 AM
koala logs
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 140 Posts
My method of knowing how many chain links to use depends on how the chain looks when I shift it to "small-small" gear combo. That's the 11t gear in the cassette and the smallest size chainring (unless you're on 1x drivetrain).

If the chain isn't slack, I add 1 link and so on and so forth until it's slacking just a little bit. That's how I do it to maximize the number of chain links possible so when I shift to the 42t cassette for example and the biggest chainring, the chain won't be too tight and the rear derailleur doesn't look like it's reaching for it's soulmate.
Old 06-29-22, 10:29 AM
alij2018

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by KerryIrons
You may not need any more links, since 2 more teeth means you "need" a half inch more chain, and if you have that much slack in the system then no more chain is needed. Remember, only half of the chain ring (or cassette cog) is engaged at any time.

In the US at least, Dawn dish soap is the go-to brand.
Thanks, I guess, I will add a link, thus, 109 links. And I am not from the US, but all dish washer soaps or gels will be OK I guess. What about body soap?
Old 06-29-22, 10:39 AM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Post mechanical questions in the proper section...oddly enough it's called 'bicycle mechanics', not here in GD.

And I would never use soap of any kind on the drivetrain, you'll need a degreaser. Dawn works great on the rest of the bike.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 06-29-22, 02:06 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,197 Times in 758 Posts
Why not use two threads for two totally unrelated topics? Is the internet too limited for that?
Old 06-29-22, 09:42 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1935 Post(s)
Liked 2,150 Times in 1,313 Posts
Originally Posted by alij2018
What about body soap?
I really doubt body soap will clean off the road gunk and grease off a bike.

But your bike will smell marvelous.

John
Old 06-30-22, 10:56 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 554 Times in 443 Posts
To increase the chain length, you need 110 links or 55 inches. No such thing as an odd number of links.
Old 06-30-22, 12:13 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
It might help to know how dirty your bike gets. As well as what type of grime it is. I haven't washed a bike in many years. Not since my kids grew up and quit riding their bikes in the mud.

I suppose I might deduce from Deore, that your bike is a mountain bike. But I know many that have mountain bikes and never ride them off pavement.

I just use some of the moist towelettes that come in a big tub or jar. After using one or two to wipe the frame and other parts, the towelettes then get the grime off my chain, chainrings and cogs. Albeit not super easily does the gunk come off, but well enough that I don't need more expensive, hazardous or just more trouble to mess with to me.
Old 06-30-22, 01:24 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
It is a lot easier to take a pair of links out of the chain if it is too long than to put a pair back in after you cut the chain too short. Start with the largest number of links you think is ideal and work backwards until the length is correct.
Old 06-30-22, 03:01 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,092 Times in 2,325 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
Post mechanical questions in the proper section...oddly enough it's called 'bicycle mechanics', not here in GD.

And I would never use soap of any kind on the drivetrain, you'll need a degreaser. Dawn works great on the rest of the bike.
A “degreaser” serves basically the same function as “soap” in that both allow for a nonpolar substance…oil, grease, etc…to be dissolved in a polar substance to a limited degree. Bar soap would probably not be the best choice because if its solid nature but body wash, Dawn dish “soap”, and Simple Green (as well as other “degreasers”) are very similar in nature and composition. The surfactants used in all of the liquid detergents are of a similar molecular structure.

That said, none of the water based surfactants are as efficient as using a nonpolar solvent for degreasing. Even with a very high load of detergent in water, there is only so much grease that any of them can dissolve meaning that gallons of water and detergent is needed to do the same work as a cup or so of mineral spirits, for example.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute: