Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

wheel scraping frame

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

wheel scraping frame

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-08, 09:53 PM
breathesrain

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wheel scraping frame

I have a 6 year old crappy wal mart bike. I really don't want to buy a new one, but this one seems to be falling apart...right now the rear tire is scraping the frame. It looks like the rear axle might be bent, but i'm not sure. The bike is a "PK7 Vertical", whatever that is. it's a mountain bike. I'm pretty sure they still sell the same basic bike, but i got this one about 6 years ago. The gears are messed up too, but it's the wheel rubbing up against the frame that causes the most problems. What should I do? Buy a bike on craigslist of something for cheap, try to buy a new axle, or what? The back brakes are screwed up too [the pull-wire seems to be rusted and won't move.]
Old 08-19-08, 02:19 AM
griftereck

Bikes: Grifter BSA 20

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
theres seems to be a lot wrong with your bike
might be better getting a different bike.

If your axles bent it cant be straightened. Take the wheel off and look at it. Does it look bent. Does it stick when turning with your fingers.
If its bent that will throw the gears off a bit too. There will be adjusters on the gear mechanisms where the cable goes to them. Maybe at the handle bars too.

The wheel may need trued too. spin it up and look at the gap between the metal wheel rim and the frame. The spokes loosen off over time. Especially if used on rough ground.
might be better getting a new wheel

If youve got twist grips, they need smooth cables.
any bike needs good cables.
could try rubbing the rust from the wires...then oiling them
not as good as changing them though
Old 08-19-08, 02:34 AM
04jtb

Bikes: 1983 Dawes Galaxy, 2006 Raleigh Airlite, 1982 Sun Solo (fixed)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can you center the wheel in the dropouts
Maybe one side got pulled forward by pedalling.
i jam my thumbs up and back into the tubes. this way i can point my fingers straight out in front to split the wind and attain an even more aero profile, and the usual fixed gear - zen - connectedness feeling through the drivetrain is multiplied ten fold because my thumbs become one with the tubing.
A group for all Dawes Galaxy owners to give and recieve information about them
https://flickr.com/groups/dawes_galaxy/
Old 08-19-08, 04:47 AM
meb

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by breathesrain
I have a 6 year old crappy wal mart bike. I really don't want to buy a new one, but this one seems to be falling apart...right now the rear tire is scraping the frame. It looks like the rear axle might be bent, but i'm not sure. The bike is a "PK7 Vertical", whatever that is. it's a mountain bike. I'm pretty sure they still sell the same basic bike, but i got this one about 6 years ago. The gears are messed up too, but it's the wheel rubbing up against the frame that causes the most problems. What should I do? Buy a bike on craigslist of something for cheap, try to buy a new axle, or what? The back brakes are screwed up too [the pull-wire seems to be rusted and won't move.]
Vertical is one of Dynacraft's brands along with Magna and Next and a couple of others.
It probably is more expensive to repair via a shop than replace. If you can repair it yourself, that may be another story.

You might try breaking free the rear brake cable with some penetrating oil, but if rusted so bad it can't operate it probably will bind a lot and fail to release so the cable probably will need replacing.