Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Serotta Colorado build

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Serotta Colorado build

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-17, 10:53 AM
toavii

Bikes: 1989 Tommasini Super Prestige, 1985 Chris Kvale, 1977 Colnago Super, 1992 Serotta Colorado, 1984 Schwinn Cimarron

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 20 Posts
Serotta Colorado build

Pulled the trigger on my first ebay frame/bike not too long ago. Always been weary of purchasing something larger and hoping it wasn't damaged in transit (used to work in that industry, and still do, but now somewhat different). The Serotta pink to orange fade is always something I've been fascinated with but never seen in person.

Received my frame and I'm quite happy with the condition. I'm somewhat picky about paint quality and this is near new save a couple common spots. It's a little dirty yet and will clean up nicely I believe. I threw a wheelset from another bike on it to get an idea for looks and to make photos slightly easier.

Paint is literal highlighter bright so it wants to play tricks with the camera a bit. The pink is more subdued that what the pictures show, whereas the orange is much brighter than what it appears. Mavic stickers coming off of course.

Build Plans
General idea is likely to go all black everything to allow the frame color to pop. Will more or less be hotrodded with modern components.

Headset: Plan is to replace the Shimano on there as if I go all black, it may be out of place. Ideas on a black headset? Not a fan of the appearance of Chris King headsets if I'm honest.
Stem: Will likely find a black Cinelli stem. Open to other ideas.
Seatpost: Leaning black Nitto. Haven't looked into this yet though.
Component Group: I'll probably pick up a near complete modern used group from somewhere after I dig around. Probably some form of Ultegra. Potentially Ultegra r8000.
Crankset: Mostly have my mind set on a black White Industries VBC.
Wheels: Probably going carbon here. After seeing my Neutron set on the bike, I like the black appearance but wanting to go a little more high end even though I love these wheels.
Tires: Definitely going with an all black tire I think. I love tan side walls and Veloflex/Vittoria Corsa G+ tires but not caring for that look after mocking my set up. I think I have the clearance for 28s minimum but I will do some more testing here.

Would love for some input on the build. I have nearly everything to build this up but everything I have is not really the direction I'm looking to go with this.

Last edited by toavii; 11-11-17 at 10:59 AM.
Old 11-11-17, 11:00 AM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 478 Times in 258 Posts
That is a beauty. Can't wait to see it built up.
Old 11-11-17, 11:10 AM
rjhammett

Bikes: 85 De Rosa, 92 Merckx MX Leader, 99 Tommasini Sintesi, 08 Look 585, 89 Merckx Corsa Extra, 72 Holdsworth Professional

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked 552 Times in 241 Posts
Is this a replacement for the Atlanta you sold a couple years ago? I have a Colorado II of similar vintage with Dura Ace components. Great bikes. Should be a fun build.
Old 11-11-17, 11:17 AM
toavii

Bikes: 1989 Tommasini Super Prestige, 1985 Chris Kvale, 1977 Colnago Super, 1992 Serotta Colorado, 1984 Schwinn Cimarron

Originally Posted by rjhammett
Is this a replacement for the Atlanta you sold a couple years ago? I have a Colorado II of similar vintage with Dura Ace components. Great bikes. Should be a fun build.
Ha. Somewhat. I did like that Atlanta but it was on the bigger size of what I like to ride. It was a well put together bike and figured I’d be back to the brand sometime. I’ve thought about buying Grady’s green Serotta frame many times. lol
Old 11-11-17, 11:21 AM
rjhammett

Bikes: 85 De Rosa, 92 Merckx MX Leader, 99 Tommasini Sintesi, 08 Look 585, 89 Merckx Corsa Extra, 72 Holdsworth Professional

I would like to see yours in person once done to see what the colors really look like. I love pink bikes and would like to get an orange bike again at some point. Maybe Molteni.
Old 11-11-17, 11:25 AM
brianmcg123

Bikes: 2013 Trek Madone; 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 35 Posts
I think the 80’s threw up all over that bike.
Likes For brianmcg123:
Old 11-11-17, 11:31 AM
rjhammett

Have you tried rubbing out the scrape on the top tube? I have had pretty good luck removing what at first appeared to be a bad scrape. After rubbing it out the paint in the scraped area may be a bit dull. I have used an automotive scratch saver pen on the scrape and in many cases it completely disappears.
Old 11-11-17, 11:33 AM
rjhammett

The late '80s and early '90s threw up all over a few of my bikes.

Originally Posted by brianmcg123
I think the 80’s threw up all over that bike.
Old 11-11-17, 12:01 PM
toavii

I would like to see yours in person once done to see what the colors really look like. I love pink bikes and would like to get an orange bike again at some point. Maybe Molteni.
Ya, I could certainly show it to you when finished. When I bought it I thought I knew what I was getting but I didn’t know it was going to be this bright. I love it.

Have you tried rubbing out the scrape on the top tube? I have had pretty good luck removing what at first appeared to be a bad scrape. After rubbing it out the paint in the scraped area may be a bit dull. I have used an automotive scratch saver pen on the scrape and in many cases it completely disappears.
I haven’t attempted anything on it yet. There’s a few imperfections that I believe will clean up. That scratch on the top tube is pretty deep. It’s small thankfully. Not sure how it’ll work out but I’ll be working on it.
Old 11-11-17, 12:08 PM
rjhammett

At least you are working with one color where the scrape is. My Serotta had a deep scrape on the seat stay in the fade area. That was a fun area to fix. I used Testors red and yellow. I started in the yellow area and kept adding red to get the orange area. I then started at the other end with red and added yellow until I got to the orange area. It turned out quite well.
Old 11-11-17, 12:38 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by toavii
Headset: Plan is to replace the Shimano on there as if I go all black, it may be out of place. Ideas on a black headset? Not a fan of the appearance of Chris King headsets if I'm honest.
So for black threaded 1" headsets...a Tange Sekai Levin is $25ish. Ritchey Logic start at $15ish.
And a Cane Creek 110 will be $105ish. The quality and finish is apparently equal to a King.
Old 11-11-17, 02:28 PM
Hardrock23

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn Prelude

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Wow...I love how bright that is. Trying to focus on the green in the pink (top tube) hurts my eyes a bit lol But it's a great looking frame. Not really into black components, but I can see how that would work well with this frame - really letting it stand out (not that it wouldn't anyway). Looking forward to seeing it built up!
Old 11-11-17, 04:27 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
So for black threaded 1" headsets...a Tange Sekai Levin is $25ish. Ritchey Logic start at $15ish.
And a Cane Creek 110 will be $105ish. The quality and finish is apparently equal to a King.
From the image, I have a hunch that the stack height of the current headset will be a major guide as to what you can use, looks fairly low stack to me.
I had this problem with my Tesch S-22, I had to source the lowest stack headset I could locate. Bought the frame set as a loose frame and matching fork.

I like the look, of a period for sure, but this bike was distinctive and of technical note.
Old 11-11-17, 04:34 PM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 478 Times in 258 Posts
Green bar tape would look badass.
Old 11-11-17, 04:45 PM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 142 Posts
I’ve thought about buying Grady’s green Serotta frame many times. lol
This Colorado II looks fantastic.

What an excellent choice.

This is something to think about with that sweet VBC crankset.

Di2 Ultegra

https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/shima...speed-gearset/
Old 11-11-17, 04:49 PM
gomango

Originally Posted by ridelikeaturtle
Green bar tape would look badass.

Maybe.

But I think there is already ample color with that frameset.

I'd go black saddle/black tape.
Old 11-11-17, 05:02 PM
tmh657

Bikes: A few BSO's.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 27 Posts
I love the color and I think it's 1/2 size too small for me so I can't be totally bummed I missed out on this frame. IMO black parts are the ticket for this build. I was looking at a Colorado a while back with this paint and did some looking for ideas and saw the photo below. Not all black but nice.

After you build it and ride I would be really interested to know what you think of a Serotta made Tange Prestige frame since you rode an Atlanta. I love my Atlanta, (see avatar) and have a Colorado 2 with Columbus tubes that is accumulating black bits as we speak. It's blue.

I also have lusted after Grady's green Serotta. Who wouldn't?
Attached Images
Old 11-11-17, 05:02 PM
Vonruden

Bikes: Looking for a Baylis or Wizard in 59-62cm range

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 115 Posts
A beauty, when it popped up, I was disappointed it wasn't a 60cm. Love it!!!!
Old 11-11-17, 05:15 PM
bike_galpal
Banned.

Bikes: Swobo Sanchez 3x1

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
gosh! i kick myself every day for not getting a Colorado from cl a while back. that looks great with that modern ultegra, which i have sitting around. someone here told me i shouldn't put ultegra 6800 on that bike. it was the pink to forest green fade, which i'm not crazy about, but in retrospect i realized i'd just consider it my watermelon bike. maybe even get some seed stickers lol.
Old 11-11-17, 05:33 PM
toavii

Originally Posted by gomango
This Colorado II looks fantastic.

What an excellent choice.

This is something to think about with that sweet VBC crankset.

Di2 Ultegra

https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/shima...speed-gearset/
I’d love to do Di2 or similar. Just know nothing about whether it would be feasible or how much I’d have to modify the frame.
Old 11-11-17, 05:53 PM
dunrobin

Bikes: colnago titanio oval master, pinarello treviso es, centurion prestige, tomac ti 26er, lemond buenos aires, mbk 753, vitus 992 and zx1, rocky mountain hammer disc,bd century titanium, specialized venge expert

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 20 Posts
Pretty sweet frame. All black will make those colours pop even more.
Old 11-11-17, 07:49 PM
aeshultz
Somewhat slow older guy

Bikes: '83 Trek 311, '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '06 LeMond Poprad, '07 LeMond plastic bike, '06 Serotta CSI, Surly Cross Check, and a few others.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Very cool. I'd also be interested in your riding impressions of the Tange LT vs. the Colorado II. I almost got one of these LT frames last fall, but it was a tad too small.
Someday.
Old 11-12-17, 03:44 AM
gomango

I’d love to do Di2 or similar. Just know nothing about whether it would be feasible or how much I’d have to modify the frame.

No need to hurry. You've got a long Minnesota winter to figure it out.

Don't forget to try Chrome Molly as a fantastic local resource. He's thought through all sorts of configurations.

Lots of local smart guys.

Just to throw out one more idea, have you thought of an all black Chorus groupset with the VBC groupset?

Ribble will likely have some crazy Black Friday deals on the horizon that could get the price down.

Don't forget to watch Velomine for deals as well. Wouldn't hurt to to see if they will price match.......

https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/campa...uble-groupset/
Old 11-12-17, 06:10 PM
toavii

Originally Posted by gomango
No need to hurry. You've got a long Minnesota winter to figure it out.

Don't forget to try Chrome Molly as a fantastic local resource. He's thought through all sorts of configurations.

Lots of local smart guys.

Just to throw out one more idea, have you thought of an all black Chorus groupset with the VBC groupset?

Ribble will likely have some crazy Black Friday deals on the horizon that could get the price down.

Don't forget to watch Velomine for deals as well. Wouldn't hurt to to see if they will price match.......

https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/campa...uble-groupset/
Ideally I’d prefer a carbon Campagnolo group but they seem to be disappearing from the UK sites. I’ll keep an eye out though.

I’m definitely intrigued by electronic groups but not sure I want to modify this frame. It’s not overly special but it is extremely clean so I’d hate to do damage.
Old 11-16-17, 04:33 PM
toavii

Have a wheelset for the bike now. Mounted Vittoria Corsa G+ to get a feel for aesthetic. Not sure how I feel. Black or tan walls? Or more parts needed? (Logos may or may not stay on rims)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.