Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

So what’s up with Cinelli?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

So what’s up with Cinelli?

Old 03-31-20, 11:02 PM
Johnk3

Bikes: Simoncini, Wilier (2), Cinelli Supercorsa, Cicli Barco XCr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by aclinjury
I have the XCR. It's not made by Cinelli, but contracted out to Cicli Barco.
XCR FRAMES | ciclibarco
Cicli Barco makes their frames in Italy so technically the Cinelli XCR is made in Italy.
I just got my Cicli Barco XCR frame and in the cardboard packing of the frame was a lot of Columbus tubing boxes, one of which had "Cinelli Super Corsa" written on it in black marker. I can only assume that Barco makes that as well.
Likes For Johnk3:
Old 04-01-20, 12:46 PM
aclinjury

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by Johnk3
I just got my Cicli Barco XCR frame and in the cardboard packing of the frame was a lot of Columbus tubing boxes, one of which had "Cinelli Super Corsa" written on it in black marker. I can only assume that Barco makes that as well.
interesting! but yea possibly. Barco has a close relationship with Columbus, and Cinelli and Columbus are pratically the same company.
Here's something else interesting. I remember asking my seller (in Hungary) about the progress of my Cinelli XCR and why it was taking longer than expected, the seller said that the frame was triaged to be painted, but that their painter guy got sick and so production was being held up a bit. Now I don't know if there was only 1 painter or many painters, or if the painter is from Cicli or from Cinelli. It was just something interesting to hear.

I'm interested in seeing a pic of your bike. Did you order it from an American distributor?
Did you order your frame from way back and just now received it? Italy has been under lockdown.
Old 04-01-20, 05:05 PM
Johnk3

interesting! but yea possibly. Barco has a close relationship with Columbus, and Cinelli and Columbus are pratically the same company.
Here's something else interesting. I remember asking my seller (in Hungary) about the progress of my Cinelli XCR and why it was taking longer than expected, the seller said that the frame was triaged to be painted, but that their painter guy got sick and so production was being held up a bit. Now I don't know if there was only 1 painter or many painters, or if the painter is from Cicli or from Cinelli. It was just something interesting to hear.

I'm interested in seeing a pic of your bike. Did you order it from an American distributor?
Did you order your frame from way back and just now received it? Italy has been under lockdown.
I ordered my frame directly from Cicli Barco last fall. Gianluca Barco is very fluent in English and is very responsive. He always answered my emails within a day or two. He was very helpful about suggestions of options like finish and paint. They will literally do anything you want. They also got me very good prices on a Campy Super Record 12 speed group set as well as some very nice Italian hand made carbon stuff like seat post, stem and handlebars by WR Compositi. Just this morning, I took the frame and parts to my local bike shop, Mellow Johnny's (owned by Lance Armstrong) to be built.

I also have an ongoing frame problem with Cinelli. About two and a half years ago, I got a Supercorsa, but the chrome work was not done right and began to rust in a few months. They re-chromed it but used the same chrome shop and the results were the same, rust. So, they are making me a whole new frame with triple coated chrome, copper, nickle and then chrome. It was supposed to be finished a month ago, but they said their paint shop was closed down because of illness. I have been dealing directly with Cinelli. My guess is that Barco makes their raw frames and Cinelli finishes them.

My Barco XCr has internal cable routing, a Barco Viva stainless steel fork with a carbon steering tube, brushed stainless finish, custom paint colors and design as well as custom geometry. It also has a stainless name plate and a metal shield with the Italian colors and a dark nickle head badge. The fork and rear stays were made to use Campy's new direct mount brakes.

I have to be honest with you. Dealing with Barco directly is a far better way to get exactly what you want at a much cheaper price. When you deal with others, everyone adds a lot on to the price and another chance to make a mistake. I have nothing but high praise for everything they do. There was not one mistake or mix-up including all of the accessory items. They will also put together a complete bike for you which would be a lot cheaper than what you could arrange in the US.

Direct mount brakes

Barco's Viva fork

The little shield has not yet been painted.
Likes For Johnk3:
Old 04-02-20, 08:10 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,823 Times in 2,226 Posts
^^^ Would love to see the final build. Very nice.
Old 04-02-20, 09:19 AM
Johnk3

That Barco XCr frame as pictured cost me 3,330 euros ($3,600) including shipping to Texas. I would say that is a real deal. The raw Columbus XCr tubeset costs 817 euro ($888).
Likes For Johnk3:
Old 04-03-20, 09:12 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4330 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts
My Cinelli Mash Work is a fantastic bike. It rides quite nicely and looks great. I might change a few things here and there but only because I have mine set up more as a randonneuring style bike (ish) rather than just a complete cross or fixed gear bike. I wanted an XCr when I first saw one and still would love one but have moved on a little only because I want full custom but if one came along at the right price I probably would pounce.

They are a storied brand and certainly came back in a huge way thanks to fixed gear culture and the MASH folks but have always cranked out some nice parts and frames, Plus they are owned by the same company that owns Columbus tubi who make some of the finest steel tubes out there.
Old 04-04-20, 05:16 AM
100bikes
Industry guy

Bikes: To many to name - I ride a custom built steel frame.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 48 Posts
My collection includes a Centurion Cinelli Equipe I purchased as a closeout from WSI (Western States Import -
Centurion, Diamond Back and Avenir).
This was in the mid/late 1980's.

I was lent to a budding racer and luckily never crashed.

Silver finish with purple decals,
Cinelli labeled fork crown and bb shell.
Mixed component group.
rusty
Old 04-06-20, 03:33 PM
aclinjury

That Barco XCr frame as pictured cost me 3,330 euros ($3,600) including shipping to Texas. I would say that is a real deal. The raw Columbus XCr tubeset costs 817 euro ($888).
That price is actually a tad lower than when I was asking a US distributor of Barco (which I believe I got quoted for $3900). XCR tubeset back about 3 years ago was $600, so now it's $888 eh.

Your bike is badass nice. Direct mount rim brakes, stainless steel fork, carbon steerer,.. man you definitely don't find this fork on the retail market! Did you get direct mount for the rear too? I can't tell from the pic about the rear. You'll like the feel of it! My Xcr rides awesome, it's a tad stiffer than titanium but more forgiving then pure carbon frame. The handling is spot on! Going over railroad tracks don't ping your feet like pure carbon frame. One thing is for sure, XCr bikes are rare to see. I'm in Socal and I have not run into another rider with XCr frameset yet!
Lots of other steel bikes, lots of Ti bikes, and a gluteny of fancy light weight carbon bikes, but have not seen one single XCr bike yet.
Old 04-06-20, 07:06 PM
Johnk3

[QUOTE=aclinjury;21404054]That price is actually a tad lower than when I was asking a US distributor of Barco (which I believe I got quoted for $3900). XCR tubeset back about 3 years ago was $600, so now it's $888 eh.

The base price for Barco's TIG welded XCr frame with a stainless steel curved traditional fork, and one paint color is 2620 euros. You get a choice of brushed stainless or polished finish, and internal or external rear brake cable routing for the same price. Direct mount brakes adds 120 euros, the Viva fork with carbon steering tube adds 250 Euros, the name plate and Italian shield, extra paint colors and shipping (170) each add something adding up to 3330 euros. I don't think I could have spent any more on the frame if I tried. It's a total bargain. I just got the completed bike back from my LBS this afternoon. I will post some photos of the finished product soon.

I have direct mount brakes on the front and back. The Viva fork with the carbon steering tube is their own invention. You can also get it with a steel tube for 100 less.

Cicli Barco also offers a lugged XCr frame with stainless lugs for about 140 Euros more. They have 6 different stainless lug styles for the fork.

Last edited by Johnk3; 04-06-20 at 07:16 PM.
Old 04-06-20, 09:29 PM
ls1togo

Bikes: 2012 Ridley Helium Serotta Legend Ti

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
My Tutto

My single speed is a Tutto..stiff, great ride and a great alternative on some rides to my Look 695, Ottrott or Ridley Helium..I keep thinking about selling it but it's just too much fun to ride!

Likes For ls1togo:
Old 04-07-20, 09:57 AM
kansukee

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 27 Posts

My SC with 11 spd Campy.
Likes For kansukee:
Old 04-07-20, 01:51 PM
Johnk3

That price is actually a tad lower than when I was asking a US distributor of Barco (which I believe I got quoted for $3900). XCR tubeset back about 3 years ago was $600, so now it's $888 eh.

Your bike is badass nice. Direct mount rim brakes, stainless steel fork, carbon steerer,.. man you definitely don't find this fork on the retail market! Did you get direct mount for the rear too? I can't tell from the pic about the rear. You'll like the feel of it! My Xcr rides awesome, it's a tad stiffer than titanium but more forgiving then pure carbon frame. The handling is spot on! Going over railroad tracks don't ping your feet like pure carbon frame. One thing is for sure, XCr bikes are rare to see. I'm in Socal and I have not run into another rider with XCr frameset yet!
Lots of other steel bikes, lots of Ti bikes, and a gluteny of fancy light weight carbon bikes, but have not seen one single XCr bike yet.
Originally Posted by Wildwood
^^^ Would love to see the final build. Very nice.
The final build, Campy SR 12 group, WR Compositi carbon parts, HED Belgium Plus rims on White Industries T11 hubs, Vittoria Corsa Control tubeless tires.

Likes For Johnk3:
Old 04-07-20, 02:39 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
XCR FRAMES | ciclibarco
Cicli Barco makes their frames in Italy so technically the Cinelli XCR is made in Italy.
That links shows a gorgeous stainless steel frame. But the real delight was the same frame with candy-apple red paint. Nothing like a candy-coat paint over chrome or stainless with tasteful graphics rather than a billboard. Give it a curved blade fork and I would have serious case of the gimme & wants. .
Old 04-07-20, 05:34 PM
Johnk3

Originally Posted by Bill in VA
That links shows a gorgeous stainless steel frame. But the real delight was the same frame with candy-apple red paint. Nothing like a candy-coat paint over chrome or stainless with tasteful graphics rather than a billboard. Give it a curved blade fork and I would have serious case of the gimme & wants. .
Barco's XCr base price includes a stainless curved fork. So, there you go. They will paint it any color you want, no limits.
Old 04-07-20, 09:29 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,823 Times in 2,226 Posts
Johnk3 -- Most excellent build. I have never built with a straight bladed fork, and i should.

I run an SMP saddle on a go-anywhere (road) Campy10 triple on Ti frame..
Old 04-08-20, 08:41 AM
kansukee

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 27 Posts
I had wanted a Cinelli XCR for a long time but then I found out about Barco. I definitely want internal cable routing so that and the price make the Barco my choice for that next build.
Old 04-12-20, 08:06 PM
aclinjury

The final build, Campy SR 12 group, WR Compositi carbon parts, HED Belgium Plus rims on White Industries T11 hubs, Vittoria Corsa Control tubeless tires.

fancy!!! very nice. How does she feel?
Likes For aclinjury:
Old 04-12-20, 08:07 PM
aclinjury

Originally Posted by Bill in VA
well that candy-red frame does give me some second thoughts about buying Cinelli! If I were to do it over, I probably go with Barco in that color
Old 04-12-20, 10:52 PM
Johnk3

She feels like part of me. If you like steel, you will love XCr.
Old 04-15-20, 10:44 AM
Johnk3

Steel is really nice

She also weighs 18 lbs. 14 oz. WITH pedals and that is for a 58.5 cm size frame.
Old 04-15-20, 07:32 PM
slowgo

Bikes: Cervélo R3, Specialized Tarmac, Raleigh Redux

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 25 Posts
I’m looking for a steel frame to build up as a second bike w leftover parts (and maybe some new 105 parts) and am liking the Vigorelli Road frame in the purple finish. Not a whole lot out there as far as reviews. Any thoughts before I drop my order?
Old 04-15-20, 10:31 PM
tungsten

Bikes: 1962 Cinelli Mod. "B" / 1988 Bailey 531c /2 - '92 Rocky Vertexs' / Obed Baseline / Transition Scout/ Raleigh Willard

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 41 Posts
Got a '62 Model "B" completely chromed flat crown fork one day I'll build it back up with orginal Fiamme Yellow 27.5" rins but need to find something period specific to replace the Magistroni (sp?) cranks. And a full length 26.2 seatpost as the original owner cut it off a smidge too short for me.
Old 04-16-20, 09:47 PM
aclinjury

She also weighs 18 lbs. 14 oz. WITH pedals and that is for a 58.5 cm size frame.
my XCR is a hair over 17 lbs with pedals, but my frame is size 50 cm with carbon fork. Really love the feel of it, not too stiff like carbon fiber, not too soft like Ti.
Old 04-18-20, 01:39 PM
aquiver

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Cinelli's are wonderful, but with the recent years they aren't as worth it compared to other bikes. They especially shined pre-columbus steel, but even after their bikes were pretty solid.
Old 06-24-20, 10:09 PM
Johnk3

XCR FRAMES | ciclibarco
Yes, my Barco XCr. a lot nicer than Cinelli and far cheaper.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.