Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

LBS charging more than MSRP for parts?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

LBS charging more than MSRP for parts?

Old 05-11-20, 03:51 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,299 Times in 7,231 Posts
Originally Posted by Gmile
FWIW, I think it's a legitimate question.
Then why not, you know, ask the shop? Maybe there are particular market characteristics that make it possible for it to do what it does and stay afloat.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 05-12-20, 12:44 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 1,252 Times in 724 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Does SRAM publish MSRP? I couldn't find it.
Yeah, I saw MSRP for all their rear derailuers except the SX. The SX is listed, bit no MSRP was shown.

Despite that, OP, if you don't wasn't to pay their price, go elsewhere. What I would do, though, is nicely, let them know you have seen it for $85 elsewhere, and see if they are willing to get closer to that price. I stress being nice. It is there business, and unfortunately, some places have higher than average static costs, like rent, and they cannot match even MSRP. You as a customer have the choice to shop elsewhere. If the shop offers great customer service though, sometimes it is worth the price of admission. It's all a choice, and you can make it.
Likes For phughes:
Old 05-12-20, 01:04 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2578 Post(s)
Liked 1,901 Times in 1,193 Posts
Most of the time (excluding peak spring season in the midst of a pandemic, possibly), I think it's reasonable to ask if MSRP includes installation. I've bought a number of parts and supplies that were installed as part of the list price.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 05-12-20, 01:28 PM
tcarl
tcarl

Bikes: Roark, Waterford 1100, 1987 Schwinn Paramount, Nishiki Professional, Bottecchia, 2 Scattantes, 3 Cannondale touring bikes, mtn. bike, cyclocross, hybrid, 1940's era Schwinn

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Shop around. Once I was looking for a particular item. One shop had it in stock for $24.00; another shop had it in stock for $18.00; and the third shop I called could order it for me for $15.00. Take your pick.
Old 05-12-20, 01:42 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by asgelle
You don't understand MSRP or how bike parts distribution works.
OK? I do know Tree Fort is a LBS, I've bought a lot of stuff by walking through their front door. I can either choose to believe that the OPs LBS is selling at MSRP, and that Tree Fort and Jenson and many others big legit (ie American B&M retailers with a web presence, not grey market) names are selling for $30 under MSRP (incredibly unlikely), or that they are the ones close to MSRP and the OPs shop has a substantial markup (not at all unlikely)

Originally Posted by phughes
Yeah, I saw MSRP for all their rear derailuers except the SX. The SX is listed, bit no MSRP was shown.
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Does SRAM publish MSRP? I couldn't find it.
They did for the NX Eagle that I originally looked up in error, which was $107. All those shops that had the SX for $85 were also selling the NX Eagle for right around $107.
Likes For jefnvk:
Old 05-12-20, 02:02 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 1,252 Times in 724 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk

They did for the NX Eagle that I originally looked up in error, which was $107. All those shops that had the SX for $85 were also selling the NX Eagle for right around $107.
I understand. I was simply stating that their website does not list an MSRP for that particular model. None of that matters though. What matters is knowing you can get it much cheaper elsewhere, and the OP doesn't have to buy it from the local bike shop. If they won't discount it, and the OP doesn't want to pay the price, they should simply go somewhere else. The only issue is if that is the only bike shop anywhere near enough to be practical, and if the OP absolutely needs the service to be done there.

Last edited by cb400bill; 05-13-20 at 10:19 AM.
Old 05-12-20, 02:06 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by phughes
I understand. I was simply stating that their website does not list an MSRP for that particular model.
Yep, just demonstrating my logic why I'd believe the MSRP to be closer to the $85 mark online than the OPs LBS! I generally find when you have dozens of shops selling at the exact same price to the penny, there is a pricing policy of some sort in place. I know it is easy to find that shady overseas place that sells only by direct wire transfer offering a 50% discount, just didn't appear to be that price the OP pulled for this, rather a legit price set by honest retailers.
Likes For jefnvk:
Old 05-12-20, 03:03 PM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
You don't understand MSRP or how bike parts distribution works.
This.
Does OP think his auto repair shop doesn’t mark up parts?
How about appliance repairmen?

And where in the world is he getting a universal msrp on bike parts?

🙄
Likes For downhillmaster:
Old 05-12-20, 04:34 PM
Vintage Schwinn

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked 388 Times in 254 Posts
MSRP = manufacturer's suggested retail price

This happens all of the time in various industries where the current demand exceeds the ability to readily replentish the onhand supply.
You see that the business merchant makes a "calculated decision" as to what the market will bear, within reason, because they certainly are in business to turn a profit...
.....now imagine if they did price the part much lower, and the demand is strong and there are factors that are making it more difficult to obtain/replentish the onhand supply in a timely and practical manner-------------------Customers still seeking the out-of-stock part WILL STILL GO ELSEWHERE(internet or wherever necessary..) AS THOSE CUSTOMERS WANT TO RIDE ASAP......

New car dealerships do this from time to time when there exists HUGE demand for a super-popular, "really-In" car. Examples are the 1970-1973 DATSUN 240Z. and the 1990 MAZDA Mx5 Miata, and the 1965 Ford Mustang. Demand was off the charts for the Oct 1969 introduction of the 240Z, and the March 1989 introduction of the Mx5 Miata. The same was true for the April 1964 introduction of the Ford Mustang. Ford and to a lesser extent Mazda, did massively increase production to help appease the massive demand. Nissan could not and there was a massive premium over sticker price on the 240Z for consecutive years, and initially there were long waiting lists too that required a significant deposit and the out-of-the door price as thousands over sticker at a time when the MSRP on the 240Z was only a few thousand dollars total.
Some car dealerships do try to "play-games" on a routine daily basis by taping Addendum Stickers to the right of the federally mandated MSRP factory sticker that you see on the side window of a new vehicle on the dealership lot or showroom. This sometimes works in smaller cities and out-of-the way cities-towns where the customer would have to travel significant distance (75 + miles) to reach "competitive" New car dealerships with the same model offerings.
As with any purchase decision, YOU DECIDE WHETHER YOU FEEL LIKE IT IS FAIRLY PRICED, AS YOU MAY HAVE OTHER EXPLORABLE OPTIONS ON WHERE TO OBTAIN SAID ITEM/PART FOR WHAT YOU BELIEVE IS A WORTHWHILE PRICE.
******************** IF YOU DON'T LIKE THE PRICE, THEN DO EXERCISE YOUR FREE WILL TO SOURCE THE PART FROM ANOTHER MERCHANT OR BUSINESS. Sometimes though, you might find it practical and convenient to buy it there and then, IF time is a material concern and/or the hassle to go elsewhere to source it, does not provide significant material savings-----------------something like grabbing a pack of 12 hamburger buns for the backyard cookout already in progress when you realize you don't have any...........................you're not gonna be concerned about going to the grocery store with the best pricing on buns.........you're gonna go to the quickest and closest source as the cost difference is immaterial.........you've got folks waiting to eat burgers and they are just waitin' on the buns.

Don't fault the local bike shop because they are attempting to make intelligent decisions based on their own knowledge of their existing clientele. There is not any nefarious scheming to beat-down the customer. They simply try to charge what is believed to be a fair market price in their region. They have to remain somewhat competitive because customers can choose other avenues such as sourcing from their cross-town rival or the internet.
Many times that "bird in the hand" part source really beats the heck out of waitin' and hopin' the part that comes to your doorstep is the exact part that you ordered.
Yes, sometimes that is worth a small premium, and in many many other instances it may not be worth paying such a premium.
Hey-------The good news is that you get to decide!
Old 05-12-20, 05:18 PM
Germanrazor

Bikes: Trek Madone

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 54 Posts
I have heard always that a LBS has slight markup to what they pay. I understand your frustration as to online vs. brick and mortar storefront as we see price only. They do have rent, utilities, employees and insurance.

Bottom line is as most consistent riders stay in the sport, they learn to wrench usually. When you do, those MSRP’s have little effect on your bank account.

I still buy at times from my LBS, but wrenching I do so I source my parts cheap as can be then have the fun of wrenching.
Likes For Germanrazor:
Old 05-12-20, 05:24 PM
Oneder
Banned.

Bikes: Wahoo of Theseus, others

Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 46 Posts
The msrp is marked up from wholesale quite a bit, so they should already be making plenty on the part plus for labor.
Old 05-12-20, 05:33 PM
San Rensho 

Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 91 Posts
Originally Posted by Rider_1
Sounds like a rip off. No one should willingly bend over. If a store can't afford to stay in business, then maybe it shouldn't be in business. It's a privilege, not a right. Who cares if it's a labour of love? Wouldn't it be nice if we could all do what we want instead of what is required? They can find something else to do.

I'd rather see fewer shops that do well and offer reasonable prices than an overcrowded marketplace where everyone is eating into each other's bottom line and constantly crying poor.
So I guess you don't understand capitalism. The fewer producers there are, the closer it comes to a monopoly. Which means higher prices. And you don't understand bike shops. They are on a shoestring budget. you just want to exploit them? What do you do would you like to be exploited also?

1980 3Rensho-- 1975 Raleigh Sprite 3spd
1990s Raleigh M20 MTB--2007 Windsor Hour (track)
1988 Ducati 750 F1
Likes For San Rensho:
Old 05-12-20, 05:36 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Liked 4,489 Times in 3,338 Posts
MAP: Minimum Advertised Price
MSRP: Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price

The two don't nedessarily have to be the same.

Personally I get tired of getting hosed on prices, and it has largely driven me online (or used) for purchases.

However, one of the consequences of MAP advertising is that online retailers are frequently offering free shipping so that the sale price is exactly MAP, and not MAP + shipping.

Keep in mind, you either have to start stocking spare parts, or deal with shipping delays, or price fluctuations and availability of used parts. I.E. to be well stocked, you can have a very expensive stock.
Old 05-12-20, 05:43 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,361 Times in 2,034 Posts
Originally Posted by Germanrazor
I have heard always that a LBS has slight markup to what they pay. I understand your frustration as to online vs. brick and mortar storefront as we see price only. They do have rent, utilities, employees and insurance.
Well these guys have a brick & mortar, insurance, employee, etc and managed to give the lower price. I stopped and bought a 547 size tire from Vince just the other day. He was $16 and lowest I found on line was $20 shipped.

https://www.benscycle.com/sram-sx-ea...rd4656/product
Old 05-12-20, 05:46 PM
asgelle

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 263 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
Well these guys have a brick & mortar, insurance, employee, etc and managed to give the lower price.
Do they buy from QBP?
Old 05-12-20, 05:49 PM
Germanrazor

Bikes: Trek Madone

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 54 Posts
Well these guys have a brick & mortar, insurance, employee, etc and managed to give the lower price. I stopped and bought a 547 size tire from Vince just the other day. He was $16 and lowest I found on line was $20 shipped.

https://www.benscycle.com/sram-sx-ea...rd4656/product
Thats awesome. I like most LBS. I have only been to maybe one or two where the staff were snobs. As to prices......you have to shop around sometimes.

My best LBS ever was in Asheville, NC and the owner Jason was the best. Cared about the customer and wanted you happy.
Old 05-12-20, 06:06 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,361 Times in 2,034 Posts
Do they buy from QBP?
Can't say I know or care. Right price, in stock.
Old 05-12-20, 06:11 PM
asgelle

Can't say I know or care.
Then perhaps you shouldn't comment on shop's pricing.
Originally Posted by dedhed;21471460[color=#222222
Well these guys have a brick & mortar, insurance, employee, etc and managed to give the lower price[/color].
Old 05-12-20, 06:47 PM
asgelle

Originally Posted by Rider_1
I'll go so far as to say the shop in question seems to be exploiting the customer, when evidence was provided that a dozen others have the same, much lower price.
Since you clearly don’t understand the supply chain, why not sit quietly and learn something before casting aspersions.
Likes For asgelle:
Old 05-12-20, 06:50 PM
ZHVelo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 161 Posts
Is MSRP a US thing? As in that it should really be that price. I mean we have it in Europe too but I always thought of it as "oh look what the manufacturers says it is worth, but we give you 10 / 20 / x% off". Especially for electronics though also with bike parts I was checking wheels the other day and same story, MSRP is significantly more than a plethora of offers. At some point I was convinced they write a random number just so they can say you are getting x% off.
Old 05-12-20, 07:11 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Liked 15,299 Times in 7,231 Posts
In post #25 the OP provides some clues as to the possible reason. Read it and think about it. Or am I asking too much?
Old 05-12-20, 07:32 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,873 Times in 4,637 Posts
@Gmile : You keep explaining that you "like the shop." You just need to decide how much you like it.

By the way, some of the earlier talk about a bike shop "exploiting" customers is a hoot. We're talking about a highly competitive market, especially in this age of online commerce. I'm not even sure what "exploitation" would look like, given that consumers have plenty of options and are not forced to buy anything from any particular shop. If you don't like their prices, just walk away.

Last edited by Koyote; 05-12-20 at 07:37 PM.
Old 05-12-20, 07:48 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
there is only one way to cycle at rock bottom cost, you have to do the work yourself and shop online for the best priced parts

it sucks because you/me many others are riding really inexpensive bikes and it kind of defies logic to pay a hundred or two at the shop when the bike only cost a couple hundred.

I paid $150 for a 1990's Trek mountain bike that I ride countless miles on. A couple of days ago, my canti breaks broke. Now, I've switched to changing my own tire and tubes and making small adjustments to fix minor problems. I started looking up converting my brakes from canti to v brakes, and after 20 minutes of reading, drove it to the shop. It will be at least $100 bucks (probably a little more), so worth it? It will be to me when I get it back with new brakes.

Get over it and pay up, or learn yourself, and there are tools to buy as well. And I don't think these bike shops are getting wealthy either. They are just trying to make a living.

you, me, and every one else has to deal with that. So, get over it and pay up so you can go ride. It's worth the cost!
Likes For Flip Flop Rider:
Old 05-12-20, 07:58 PM
Oneder
Banned.

Bikes: Wahoo of Theseus, others

Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Flip Flop Rider
there is only one way to cycle at rock bottom cost, you have to do the work yourself and shop online for the best priced parts

it sucks because you/me many others are riding really inexpensive bikes and it kind of defies logic to pay a hundred or two at the shop when the bike only cost a couple hundred.

I paid $150 for a 1990's Trek mountain bike that I ride countless miles on. A couple of days ago, my canti breaks broke. Now, I've switched to changing my own tire and tubes and making small adjustments to fix minor problems. I started looking up converting my brakes from canti to v brakes, and after 20 minutes of reading, drove it to the shop. It will be at least $100 bucks (probably a little more), so worth it? It will be to me when I get it back with new brakes.

Get over it and pay up, or learn yourself, and there are tools to buy as well. And I don't think these bike shops are getting wealthy either. They are just trying to make a living.

you, me, and every one else has to deal with that. So, get over it and pay up so you can go ride. It's worth the cost!
100 bucks is reasonable, good deal even. But what if it is 100 for the parts and 300 altogether. That is the issue. Not a big issue where you live but it is pretty ridiculous in some cities. And on top of that they don't want your business at all if you have a 90s trek and won't have parts for it and only talk about upgrading the bike, and don't even have tools. That is the situation here with most bike shops and sounds similar to this guy. For those guys good riddance as far as I am concerned.
Old 05-12-20, 08:26 PM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
I hope an administrator reads this thread.
I propose a new forum rule...If you're going to criticize an industry, a particular store, etc., you must first indicate what your vocation is. For example, "I'm a plumber and I charge $59.95 just to walk into your house", or "I'm a lawyer and charge $200.00 an hour for routine work." The list could go on indefinitely. BTW...I'm a professor at a small state university and my salary as I approach retirement is far from spectacular. Hikes in tuition result in no change in my salary or mounting responsibilities.

It'll never happen but one can dream. 🤞

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.