Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Wool Bib Shorts With Real Leather Chamois

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 12-20-20, 03:13 PM
blinky

Bikes: 2003 Litespeed Tuscany with Ultegra R-8000 components

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 35 Posts

Many years ago I bought a pair of wool bib shorts with a real leather chamois , probably from Bike Nashbar , this was probably 40 years ago , yes I'm a senior rider , are they i.e. Bike Nashbar still around - these shorts were great and I was wondering if they are still sold by some company - what say all of you ?
Old 12-20-20, 03:44 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1441 Post(s)
Liked 710 Times in 364 Posts
"Nashbar" still exists, but it's really not the company Arni Nashbar started. That company closed in 2018. Amain Sports bought the name, as they had with other defunct bike companies such as Performance, and use the Nashbar name for their web based business.

So "Nashbar" exists about the same way that "Schwinn" exists.

As to the shorts, for the love of all that is holy, WHY? Wool shorts with real chamois were ok in 1970 when that is all we had had. Lycra and a good synthetic pad is better by several orders of magnitude.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Likes For merlinextraligh:
Old 12-20-20, 04:15 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3084 Post(s)
Liked 6,561 Times in 3,763 Posts
There are a few companies that still make wool shorts, none of them that I know of use a leather chamois.

Likes For cb400bill:
Old 12-20-20, 04:18 PM
blinky

Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
"Nashbar" still exists, but it's really not the company Arni Nashbar started. That company closed in 2018. Amain Sports bought the name, as they had with other defunct bike companies such as Performance, and use the Nashbar name for their web based business.

As to the shorts, for the love of all that is holy, WHY? Wool shorts with real chamois were ok in 1970 when that is all we had had. Lycra and a good synthetic pad is better by several orders of magnitude.
Thanks for the honest answer and I agree , I'll retract the question - let me ask a question though , what brand would you recommend for a good high end bib short - I've got a pair of Pearls and they're a large but run very tight and so I'm looking for a better alternative .
Old 12-20-20, 04:32 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3084 Post(s)
Liked 6,561 Times in 3,763 Posts
Best bibs that I have ever had are my Assos.

Likes For cb400bill:
Old 12-20-20, 04:52 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

I think to a degree it’s a personal preference, and a matter of what fits you. The higher end Pearl Izumi’s work for me.

my wife likes Assos, but if you want something that runs larger, more generous cut, Assos are the exact opposite.
Old 12-20-20, 05:00 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10147 Post(s)
Liked 5,840 Times in 3,144 Posts
I thought wool shorts with natural chamois sucked. The chamois dried out and chafed, the wool got baggy and looked terrible, and holes developed easily. I used them for years and even six-panel polyester shorts with unpadded synthetic chamois were a massive improvement. Modern designs just blow that stuff away.

That said, I’m sure some retro outfit sells them to the C & V crowd.

Last edited by MoAlpha; 12-20-20 at 05:06 PM.
Old 12-20-20, 08:23 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 611 Times in 376 Posts
Kucharik sells real chamois and real wool, but I don't think the do bibs. 'Good synthetic pad' seems like an internally contradictory term. Reasons Lycra/synthetic replaced wool/chamois: cost, lycra/synthetic dries fast, leather does not, wool does not.

Last edited by philbob57; 12-20-20 at 08:35 PM.
Old 12-20-20, 08:51 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Originally Posted by philbob57
Kucharik sells real chamois and real wool, but I don't think the do bibs. 'Good synthetic pad' seems like an internally contradictory term. Reasons Lycra/synthetic replaced wool/chamois: cost, lycra/synthetic dries fast, leather does not, wool does not.
Have you worn both? I’d be willing to bet that 99% of the people who have ,prefer the current configuration, and that remaining 1 perecent didn’t actually understand the question.

Old wool shorts were saggy, wet, itchy, hot, and smelly. Admittedly, modern wool, particularly with the addition of Lycra is better than it was, but wool shorts still are no where near as nice as a good modern Lycra short or bib,

As to the chamois, a real chamois requires a lot of care, is hard as a rock if you don’t, offers no padding, and doesn’t wick moisture.

if wool and chamois were actually better, except for cost, there would still be high end offerings of wool/chamois shorts to high end buyers who weren’t price sensitive.

The fact there are almost no such shorts on offer tells you the market has spoken and modern synthetic fabrics and pads are dramatically superior.

if this wasjust a cost issue, Ralpha would be selling us $400 merino wool shorts with chamois from free range Tibetan sheep.

Last edited by merlinextraligh; 12-20-20 at 09:05 PM.
Likes For merlinextraligh:
Old 12-20-20, 09:44 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 611 Times in 376 Posts
I've worn both. My seat is padded. I get the thinnest pad I can for my shorts. Synthetic smells worse than wool, to my nose, unless the synthetic is washed with special detergent or soaked in vinegar. Quick drying is a definite advantage. Easier to care for is a definite advantage. Lower cost is a definite advantage. Those advantages all lie with synthetics. I may very well fit into my old Black Bottoms next year. If my memories are false, I'll find out and, having taken this position, share my experience.
Old 12-22-20, 11:13 AM
woodcraft

Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Modern wool is better than the coarse fabric of yesteryear, lycra works well, and chamois leather had it's limitations,

but the idea that modern foam rubber- based chamois pads breathe well is a joke. Convenient, and what's available, but sweaty, and funk-prone, why is this the standard? Same with shoes: leather= breathable, comfortable; fabric/foam sandwich i.e. running shoes= hot, sweaty, cheap, available.

I wear wool shorts (Ibex- no longer available) quite a bit- good for cooler & mixed conditions. I also have Ibex knickers which are great for winter and well used for years.

When the company was folding, I bought a back up pair which were still in their plastic bag until recently. The main pair were in the wash, so I got out & used the new ones for one ride.

After, I spent some minutes trying to tell which was new & which was well-used and years old, & finally could only tell because the printing on the laundry tag was worn on one!

Haven't used these, but am impressed with a couple of other Nalini things:
https://nalini.cc/collections/nalini...ing-bib-shorts

Aero tech had shorts with a thin fabric pad with no foam, but sadly that seems to be lo longer offered.
Likes For woodcraft:
Old 12-26-20, 08:05 PM
zatopek

Bikes: Neilpryde Nazare, Storck Scenero G3, Colnago Extreme Power, CAAD 10, Bowman Palace R, Strong Custom Foco Steel, BMC SLR01, BMC ALR01

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 53 Posts
Harkens back to my early cycling days in the mid 70s. Wool shorts with real leather chamois that I had to grease regularly to retain suppleness. Those shorts got so damn baggy after only a couple wash cycles. Wore Bata biker shoes with clips and straps on my old Motobecane. Ah, the halcyon days of yore. NOPE. Modern quality gear is light years ahead of that old crap.
Likes For zatopek:
Old 12-27-20, 02:19 AM
Branko D

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
I have a merino base layer and a merino jersey and the experience tells me I wouldn't want merino shorts; the feeling on skin is slightly scratchy and it just doesn't wick as well as synthetics. I don't care for thick padding, myself, so I could get on fine with a thin chamois, but lycra is just better stuff.
​​​​
​​​​​​​I find that showering is the perfect antidote to clothes developing any smell.
Likes For Branko D:
Old 12-27-20, 03:25 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
I have a pair of Ice Breaker merino bibs from when they stuck their toe in the cycling market. They are fantastic. Synthetic chamois.
Old 12-27-20, 10:16 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts

The fact there are almost no such shorts on offer tells you the market has spoken and modern synthetic fabrics and pads are dramatically superior.

if this wasjust a cost issue, Ralpha would be selling us $400 merino wool shorts with chamois from free range Tibetan sheep.
Imagine the vegan hipster protests/boycots.
Old 01-01-21, 09:16 AM
Roadies_Rok

Bikes: Litespeed Arenberg Road Bike; Specialized Crossroads XC Pro

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts

Hey, don't be hating. I'm from the same era as the OP and you don't want the 2 of us getting together and opening up a can of whoop-ass. :-)
Likes For Roadies_Rok:
Old 01-01-21, 02:28 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6173 Post(s)
Liked 4,790 Times in 3,305 Posts
Originally Posted by Roadies_Rok
Hey, don't be hating. I'm from the same era as the OP and you don't want the 2 of us getting together and opening up a can of whoop-ass. :-)
I've heard and used that term since back in the days of leather chamois. But did you know there is an actual can of whoop-ass produced. I spotted these on the shelf of a convenience store when driving through a small town back in the early 2000's I think. Bought a bunch for my wife to use as humorous incentive for her underlings.

https://flavorman.com/jones-soda/jon...s-energy-drink
Likes For Iride01:
Old 01-03-21, 06:53 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Originally Posted by Roadies_Rok
I’m also of that era ( hence the Arnie Nashbar reference.)

is that you Grant?
Old 01-03-21, 08:14 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3582 Post(s)
Liked 3,394 Times in 1,928 Posts
Originally Posted by philbob57
When the leather chamois in my wool Protogs shorts wore out, I had Kucharik replace it with one of their synthetic chamois. I have no complaints.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
protogs.jpg (109.7 KB, 269 views)
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 01-05-21, 12:14 AM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by blinky
Thanks for the honest answer and I agree , I'll retract the question - let me ask a question though , what brand would you recommend for a good high end bib short - I've got a pair of Pearls and they're a large but run very tight and so I'm looking for a better alternative .
Nobody can answer that for you. There's no alternative to at least trying them on or better yet, riding with them. Some like a minimal pad, some like more substantial. The shape of the pad, regardless of thickness, can affect comfort greatly. I like a fairly thin pad, that's fairly small. The same thickness of pad with a different shape can be uncomfortable to me. Then there's the fit of the bibs themselves. Some companies are extra tight, some more relaxed. With the tight ones, sometimes you can be happy going a size larger. Sometimes going a size larger makes the tightness OK, but the length too long.

All this is to say: Either find some locally to try or order several from a mail order with a good return policy. When I have to try to figure out a new pair, I will often order 6 pair: three different brands in a medium and large each, figure what works, return the rest. If shipping is free both ways, it's a no brainer, Even if you have to pay return shipping, it's not a big deal - you can fit quite a bit into a medium or large flat rate USPS box.

When you find some you really like, buy a couple more.

Last edited by Camilo; 01-05-21 at 12:22 AM.
Old 01-05-21, 06:09 AM
blinky

Originally Posted by Camilo
Nobody can answer that for you. There's no alternative to at least trying them on or better yet, riding with them. Some like a minimal pad, some like more substantial. The shape of the pad, regardless of thickness, can affect comfort greatly. I like a fairly thin pad, that's fairly small. The same thickness of pad with a different shape can be uncomfortable to me. Then there's the fit of the bibs themselves. Some companies are extra tight, some more relaxed. With the tight ones, sometimes you can be happy going a size larger. Sometimes going a size larger makes the tightness OK, but the length too long.

All this is to say: Either find some locally to try or order several from a mail order with a good return policy. When I have to try to figure out a new pair, I will often order 6 pair: three different brands in a medium and large each, figure what works, return the rest. If shipping is free both ways, it's a no brainer, Even if you have to pay return shipping, it's not a big deal - you can fit quite a bit into a medium or large flat rate USPS box.

When you find some you really like, buy a couple more.
Thanks for the time and thoughts , good approach and what I do with other clothing products many times .
Likes For blinky:
Old 01-05-21, 06:18 AM
blinky

Thanks all for the input , all solid info , haven't checked back on my post in awhile , Happy New Year to everyone !! Love this forum !!
Old 01-20-21, 04:20 PM
blinky

Originally Posted by woodcraft
Modern wool is better than the coarse fabric of yesteryear, lycra works well, and chamois leather had it's limitations,

but the idea that modern foam rubber- based chamois pads breathe well is a joke. Convenient, and what's available, but sweaty, and funk-prone, why is this the standard? Same with shoes: leather= breathable, comfortable; fabric/foam sandwich i.e. running shoes= hot, sweaty, cheap, available.

I wear wool shorts (Ibex- no longer available) quite a bit- good for cooler & mixed conditions. I also have Ibex knickers which are great for winter and well used for years.

When the company was folding, I bought a back up pair which were still in their plastic bag until recently. The main pair were in the wash, so I got out & used the new ones for one ride.

After, I spent some minutes trying to tell which was new & which was well-used and years old, & finally could only tell because the printing on the laundry tag was worn on one!

Haven't used these, but am impressed with a couple of other Nalini things:
https://nalini.cc/collections/nalini...ing-bib-shorts

Aero tech had shorts with a thin fabric pad with no foam, but sadly that seems to be lo longer offered.
Thanks Woodcraft , it's amazing that they can still be found !!
Old 01-20-21, 04:23 PM
blinky

Thanks everyone for the replies and your time , good pros and cons to think about !!
Old 01-23-21, 02:00 PM
satrain18

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by cb400bill
There are a few companies that still make wool shorts, none of them that I know of use a leather chamois.
https://www.kucharikclothing.com/woo...nal-p-347.html
Likes For satrain18:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.