Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Shimano Hollowtech Crank Install - How to confirm 180 degree install

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-21, 11:01 AM
kosmo886

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts

I am simply replacing a left crank arm with a power meter crank arm and wondering how to confirm a perfect 180 degree install between the left and right arms. I might be over analyzing this, but after install it seems the cranks may be a few degrees off from 180 degree...it could also be an optical illusion given no part is perfectly straight anyways. Is it event possible to be this close to 180, but not spot on?
Old 05-04-21, 11:08 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22590 Post(s)
Liked 8,924 Times in 4,157 Posts
Originally Posted by kosmo886
I am simply replacing a left crank arm with a power meter crank arm and wondering how to confirm a perfect 180 degree install between the left and right arms. I might be over analyzing this, but after install it seems the cranks may be a few degrees off from 180 degree...it could also be an optical illusion given no part is perfectly straight anyways. Is it event possible to be this close to 180, but not spot on?
The splines on the BB spindle don't really permit you to get "close" to 180 degrees, and I have never had a problem with this. You could rotate it one spline/notch in each direction to confirm it's right.

edit: it's been awhile since I installed mine, but I think the little "safety plate" can only hook onto the spindle if the crankarm is in the correct position.

Last edited by datlas; 05-04-21 at 11:35 AM.
Old 05-04-21, 12:17 PM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
The splines on the BB spindle don't really permit you to get "close" to 180 degrees, and I have never had a problem with this. You could rotate it one spline/notch in each direction to confirm it's right.
You cannot install the non-drive side (left) crank arm incorrectly. The splines are keyed, meaning they are not equally sized and spaced, to ensure that the left arm can only be installed onto the spindle at 180° from the drive-side crank arm.
Old 05-04-21, 09:52 PM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
Above two are right of course. Nothing more to be said about this topic specifically.

But I'd like to say that this is a FANTASTIC example of how good design improves lives with almost no drawbacks. Shimano could *easily* have chosen to design a splined interface that's radially symmetrical and thus requires careful installation to align. And then if you screwed up the install, Shimano could blame you, the user, for not following their instructions or whatever.

Remember this next time a company tries to blame the user.
Likes For smashndash:
Old 05-04-21, 11:28 PM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
Poka-yoke.
Old 05-05-21, 03:51 AM
kosmo886

Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by smashndash
Above two are right of course. Nothing more to be said about this topic specifically.

But I'd like to say that this is a FANTASTIC example of how good design improves lives with almost no drawbacks. Shimano could *easily* have chosen to design a splined interface that's radially symmetrical and thus requires careful installation to align. And then if you screwed up the install, Shimano could blame you, the user, for not following their instructions or whatever.

Remember this next time a company tries to blame the user.
I'd agree with this. And the reason I asked the question is when I was new to biking, installing my first crank, I didn't even think about positioning (I guess assuming you shouldn't be apply to install in the wrong position)...I tightened the bolt and the crank positioning was all messed up. Makes much more sense to do it this way!
Old 05-05-21, 04:12 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
You guys have all read the studies that prove that crank arms 180 degrees apart delivers maximum performance from a bike? Yeah, nah. You probably still use round chainrings too.
Likes For znomit:
Old 05-05-21, 06:00 AM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1528 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 510 Posts
Originally Posted by Badger6
You cannot install the non-drive side (left) crank arm incorrectly. The splines are keyed, meaning they are not equally sized and spaced, to ensure that the left arm can only be installed onto the spindle at 180° from the drive-side crank arm.
Well actually... You can totally install it at 0 degrees if you like, and folks who pedal with their arms do. It'd be nice if Shimano would put another hole for the check pin for these peeps...
Old 05-05-21, 06:55 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Originally Posted by Kimmo
Well actually... You can totally install it at 0 degrees if you like, and folks who pedal with their arms do. It'd be nice if Shimano would put another hole for the check pin for these peeps...
Interesting...

Though, I admit, I've never tried to do this...but, now you've got me curious.
Old 05-05-21, 09:17 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 988 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 439 Posts
You can't install it incorrectly unless you hammer it in. The safety pin won't go in if the left arm is not slid into the spindle correctly.
Old 05-05-21, 02:57 PM
Symox

Bikes: '23 Poseidon Redwood, '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple, '12 Gravity Fixie, '21 Liv Rove 4, '06? Giant EB Spirit

Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 151 Posts
agreed that Shimano was smart in keying the crank arm just like its cassettes/freewheels
Saved countless hours of aggravation by garage mechanics like myself.
Old 05-05-21, 03:29 PM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

The keying isn't what ensures you can't do it wrong, it's the splines.
Old 05-05-21, 06:51 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1528 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 510 Posts
Originally Posted by Badger6
Interesting...

Though, I admit, I've never tried to do this...but, now you've got me curious.
Any HT2 cranksets I have lying around off a bike are stored at 0 degrees, they take up a lot less space!
Likes For Kimmo:
Old 05-05-21, 08:06 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Besides the stopper plate and it's pin needing to in the hole in the crank axle how hard is it to just look at the damn things and know instantly?
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 02-16-24, 09:35 AM
Bob4Aplz

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had exactly the same thing happen

Originally Posted by kosmo886
I could have written your post. I have been staring at them since my friend installed my Stages left crank arm. I had even asked him if the design was such that you couldn't install them wrong and he said no you could. Now from this thread I see that he was wrong and they have to be straight, no matter how much I stare at them. Thank you putting up this post!!
Old 02-16-24, 09:56 AM
ljsense

Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 92 Posts
I'd hazard a guess that the OP is installing an FC-9100 era crank or later -- the way those arms are shaped makes it easy to second guess whether they are 180 degrees apart.
Likes For ljsense:
Old 02-16-24, 02:31 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 1,464 Times in 1,013 Posts
Originally Posted by ljsense
I'd hazard a guess that the OP is installing an FC-9100 era crank or later -- the way those arms are shaped makes it easy to second guess whether they are 180 degrees apart.
Exactly. The drive-side (right) crank arm is asymmetric on HT2 road cranks, but this is only obvious when viewed from the drive-side. When one installs the non-drive-side crank arm, the asymmetric profile of the drive-side crank arm throws off one's perception of the crank angle from the non-drive-side. It took me a while to figure this out when I installed an FC-R7000 crank set. No such issue with GRX cranks.